Forums Kongregate

Official Dinowaurs Beta Tournament Over, Fissionx wins!

56 posts

Flag Post

We’re gearing up for the un-beta-ing and final launch of Dinowaurs, so in an effort to get people testing our new updates we’re holding a short Three Hour Tournament Thursday January 22 from noon (pacific time) to 3 p.m. (pacific time.) Whoever can get the most wins in Ranked Matches during that time will receive the Grand Prize of 100 points!

If you want to get some practice in, here’s where you go: http://www.kongregate.com/games/intuition/dinowaurs-beta

Thanks to everyone who participated! The tournament is over and the winner is fissionx with 18 wins!

Flag Post

Awesome cpasley!

Flag Post

While I think that it’s great that you guys are doing official tournaments for games… I see 100 points as being less than motivating as a prize. Maybe it’s because 100 points is about 6% of a single level for me at this point, or maybe it’s because the prizes we give away on FFR are usually a bit more substantive… I’m not sure.

To me, a decent prize structure would be around:

1st – $25 (or 250 kreds) and 1000 points
2nd – 150 kreds and 500 points
3rd – 50 kreds and 250 points
4th – 100 points

Something like that. In the end, your total prize value is still under $45, yet the motivation of the users will be much greater. Plus, if you give the prizes in kreds, you don’t even have to worry about sending paypal payments or mailing checks. And 1000 points is something that even I would be motivated by. AND, by having more than 1 prize, people won’t get dissuaded nearly as easily. I see 1 prize, that to me isn’t worth much, and figure I have 0 shot at winning it because I’ve played 2 games of dinowaurs ever. I see 4 winning spots… and the prizes are motivating enough… I think I’d consider trying. Since it’s only 3 hours. And maybe not many people would play for all 3 hours, or I might actually be kinda good at the game and win.

Just my 2 cents… coming from someone who has run over 100 small contests (spontaneous contests, as we call them) with excellent results on a website with substantial enough traffic.

Flag Post

Your level is too high, Tassel. 1000 points is a lot. Even me, level 37, could level up two times with that.

Flag Post

Doesn’t this belong in the games section?

Flag Post

Im in, I could use the points, sign me up!!!

One day, a girl digs a hole to sury her fish in, her family’s neighbor looks over the fence and asks her, “Why are you digging a hole?”
The girl replies, “My fish died and I’m gonna bury him.”
The neighbor says, " I can see that, but why such a big hole?"
Th girl replies, “Because, she’s inside your fricking cat!”

Flag Post
Originally posted by iamweirdha:

Doesn’t this belong in the games section?

no.

Flag Post

Focus: oh yeah… I keep forgetting that. That even at level 40 or so, it’s only about 600 for a level. My perspective on points is a bit screwed up, I guess… since 1 level for me is over 1500.

So perhaps my point values are a bit high, but I think adding kreds as a prize and having more than 1 place pay out is sorely needed for any competition. Or if only 1 prize, make it a wee bit higher. How about 250? Like on FFR, we give out free subscriptions as prizes fairly often. They have a specific cash value to the user, but are free for us to give away. Other things we’ll give away are free album downloads (costs us only a few dollars per), t-shirts (under $10 per), or even cash (our big bi-annual tournaments have over $500 in cash prizes each, all straight from us and not sponsors… smaller ones will usually have a $25 cash prize, which means we have to send money over paypal). With kreds, it’s like giving cash… Kong will eventually have to pay that money out to devs, but it’s cheaper than actual cash and far less hassle, while still having a fairly equal value to users.

Flag Post

defintly ill be in

Flag Post

i have school NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flag Post

In eastern time, that would be 6pm to 9 pm, right?

Flag Post

No, eastern time that was 3pm to 6pm.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Focus:

Your level is too high, Tassel. 1000 points is a lot. Even me, level 37, could level up two times with that.

It’s a 100 point reward.

Flag Post

Cool! Can I be a part of it:)

Flag Post

Interesting idea tasslefoot. Dinowaurs is in beta, but maybe once she’s golden some larger tournament prizes will be more realistic. Right now she’s just a wee girl that just wants to have fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g73WR1pZ_sg&feature=related

The winner will be given a hero’s welcome on the dinowaurs site and the dinowaurs twitter feed for all to see. Be famous and stuff!

Flag Post

sticky sticky :D

Flag Post

WHY JANUARY 22 WHY NOT THE 25 WE HAVE SCHOOL :( …… or a later time will also work. I would say at least after 3:00 pm cause i can’t play in school

Flag Post

1st – $25 (or 250 kreds) and 1000 points

lol money for playing a game? no

Flag Post

How about 5:00 to 8:00 PM I have school tomorrow:(

Flag Post

aei: i’m pretty available to chat in regards to tournament organization. as i said, i’ve run countless spontaneous contests as well as 3 full tournaments with over 1000 participants each, where each person had to be broken into 1 of 5 skill divisions by hand, then manually update scores for each round, with there being 10 rounds to each. lots and lots of work in organizing and organization, but rewarding and beneficial to our site and game.

suvius: if you are against the idea of winning money or prizes by playing games, you don’t have to participate. but, you have 4 tickets on Kong, meaning you ARE for free prizes from playing games. bit hypocritical, no?

Flag Post

Count me in!And it sounds fun to try.

Flag Post

Oh yeah i have school damn how about saturday or sunday?

Flag Post
Originally posted by spunky739:

i have school NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

School? On 1/22?

Flag Post

bored and sounds fun i have finals so im out at 12:30 pacific

Flag Post

i would participate but i have swimming practice, this should definatly be on saturday or sunday, im sure others have the same problem as I do.