Forums Kongregate

How to Report Terrible Ads So We Can Actually Fix Them

87 posts

Flag Post

A number of people have been reporting some pretty terrible advertisements (male enhancement, etc). Unfortunately just submitting a screenshot isn’t enough for us to fix it, because we work with multiple ad networks. We need to know which one of them is serving the ad.

Luckily, there’s a tool that will give us this info. Here’s what to do.

1. Get Firebug
2. When you see a sucky ad, launch Firebug, click the Inspect menu, then click on the ad. This will show you the javascript calls that generated the ad
3. Expand and scroll the Firebug window so that you can see all the way up to the code that says “div id=\”google_ads_div_kong….\" – it will say different things after kong depending what page you’re on.
4. Take a screenshot and post in the forums or email it to support@kongregate.com

Here’s an example of a good screenshot. I can tell the ad came from mediaplex.com:

Flag Post

Quantcast is a datacollection pixel. It records the statistics of Kongregate’s (and other websites) visitors in order to provide investors and the companies themselves with trend data and statistics.

It is relatively harmless.

Flag Post

No, that’s a tracking pixel for Quantcast, which we use to measure and display our traffic.

Edit: Ninja’ed by Kyru!

Flag Post

Ill be sure to download firebug right now

Flag Post

Kyle – did you read the instructions I posted?

Flag Post

Kyle, thanks that’s very helpful. I think what’s actually going on is that your machine has been infected with a trojan that replaces your ads with Vimax ads. This has been happening to a lot of people:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081201125704AA9O4yf
http://www.reddit.com/r/MapleLinks/comments/7o73f/anyone_else_get_infected_with_the_virustrojan/

Does it happen if you use a different computer?

Flag Post

So you are going to pay me for cleaning up your site, or did I miss something?

Flag Post

Finally no more lose 30 lbs in 3 weeks ad with weird stomachs. Awesome job guys!

Flag Post

Nicol – these instructions are for people who have taken the time to post screenshots, so they can be more effective in their help. We’re not asking you, personally, to do it. We know that you are a busy man.

Flag Post

I will have my mom try.

LOL. “Hey mom, can you go to this site and see if it asks you to make your penis bigger?”

Flag Post
Originally posted by jimgreer:

Nicol – these instructions are for people who have taken the time to post screenshots, so they can be more effective in their help. We’re not asking you, personally, to do it. We know that you are a busy man.

Yes, I am fixing your premium games for you and giving you valuable bussiness advices in forums. You should pay me for the stuff I do for Kongregate.

Flag Post

{Offers to donate a portion of his own ad revenues to the “Save A Nicol” Fund}

Flag Post

I will have my mom try.

LOL. “Hey mom, can you go to this site and see if it asks you to make your penis bigger?”

It won’t because she doesn’t have a penis. You need to get someone who has a penis to try on another computer.

Yes, I am fixing your premium games for you and giving you valuable bussiness advices in forums. You should pay me for the stuff I do for Kongregate.

Or you could just not do all the stuff you do for Kongregate if it really bothers you that you don’t get payed for it :/

Flag Post

Someone pay Nicol to shut up.

Flag Post
Originally posted by y0ttabyte:

Its called a mute button, it ain’t expensive.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Carados:
Originally posted by y0ttabyte:

Its called a mute button, it ain’t expensive.

Carados is one of the reasons I enjoy using the forums.

Flag Post

For those of us using the bigger, badder, and just badass Google Chrome, is there a way to use Inspect Element or something similar to get the information required for a report?

Flag Post

Right clicking on the ad and copying the URL of the ad is not sufficient for you to find it within your system? That seems like a far less complex method than having to download Firebug.

Flag Post

If I right click on an ad, I get the options:

Settings… (greyed out)
About Adobe Flash Player 10…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tasselfoot:

Right clicking on the ad and copying the URL of the ad is not sufficient for you to find it within your system? That seems like a far less complex method than having to download Firebug.

The problem is that ads are flash, not image files.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NicolBolas:

Trolling the website owner… classy. You are not “fixing” games. Feedback is not work.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deathreape98:

For those of us using the bigger, badder, and just badass Google Chrome, is there a way to use Inspect Element or something similar to get the information required for a report?

Right-click the page, “Inspect Element”

Flag Post

Just a question. Is the Mabinogi advertisement considered “terrible”? It lags every game like hell and all I can do is completely scroll it away, but it still lags when I want to go somewhere else. Pretty annoying.

Flag Post

I will have my mom try.

Maybe you should send that ad to Kyru’s PC. Might remind him of his true dreams.. Maybe that was a bit harsh.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sten123:

I will have my mom try.

Maybe you should send that ad to Kyru’s PC. Might remind him of his true dreams.. Maybe that was a bit harsh.

Oh no Sten, that was perfectly fine. Kyru needs reminding of his… dreams a lot.