Forums Kongregate

Say Hello to Your New CEO

112 posts

Flag Post

Hi all -

Today I’m announcing that I’m stepping down as CEO of Kongregate – I’ll continue to be here half time, with my sister Emily taking over the CEO role. Here’s the email I sent out to our team about it – TLDR: I couldn’t be happier or more proud of the team and my sister.

Dear Kongregators,

It’s going on 8 years since Emily and I started Kongregate – it’s kind of amazing how much has changed since then. For instance, this was the top selling phone:

There was a new social network growing like crazy:

In the spring of 2006, I was working at Pogo with BenV and Rusty on a downloadable version of Poppit.

I quit my job at EA, reserved Kongregate.com, and put up this homepage:

Emily joined 2 weeks later. Our first day of work together was at Casual Connect in Seattle, where we toasted our new venture over lunch at Benihana…

6 months later, we had hired the beginnings of a great team, and built this: this https://web.archive.org/web/20061223022832/http://kongregate.com/:

I can’t express how proud I am of the team and the site we’ve built. I’m literally tearing up as I type this. I’m especially proud of my little sister:

And I’m even more proud of what’s happened this year. And, of the fact that I wasn’t really needed for anything (except recruiting the first two members of our mobile team, Mike and Pany).

Today we have loyal players, happy developers, a great business, and great leadership.

I’ll be at Kongregate, Mondays, Wednesdays, and half-days on Friday. I’ll spend the rest of my time on something new in the world of politics… stay tuned for more on that!

As I said on the call, I’m the happiest I’ve been in my life, and I’m bursting with pride at what we’ve done together and with what I know we’ll continue to do.

Sincerely,

Jim Greer
CEO^H^H^HCTO, Kongregate

Flag Post

Wow, good luck.

[Edit: Jim Greer from CEO to CTO. Emily Greer from COO to CEO. Two questions: who was the CTO before and who is will be the COO now?]

Flag Post

Good luck in the world of politics! I hope you have a great life.

Flag Post

Heres to another 8 years, Jim! Good Luck!

Flag Post

@adv0catus – there was no CTO before and there is no COO now. It should be fine…

Flag Post

Take Luck.

Flag Post

Thanks for exposing our games to millions of players!
We wish you best luck !

- Berzerk Crew

Flag Post

Good luck with everything and thanks for creating this site, my favourite place ever.

Flag Post

Thanks for Last eight years Jim, kongregate has had a place in my life virtually from the start – and good luck for your future projects. Congratulations Emily!

Flag Post

Congratulations! This is a pretty exciting move for Kongregate with this shift in leadership structure. Good luck with the politics of things to Jim and once again, congratulations to Emily. It’s clearly evidence how strong your family ties are and that’s admirable in itself (also cute childhood photo).

Odd enough to say it still feels like yesterday we were using those type of phones.

Flag Post

Congratulations to all, I am proud to say I have been here for 6 of those years. I hope I am here for many more. Awesome job everyone.

Flag Post

Good luck with the rest of your life – thank you for a wonderful website. :)

Flag Post

Congrats Emily!

I can still clearly remember that time before the site launched, starting out in our office apartment shared with Kyle Gabler, painting a door black to use as a desk, and being assurred that the company had at least enough money to cover my salary for a few months if we couldn’t find any investors.

Things went better than expected.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BerzerkStudio:

Thanks for exposing our games to millions of players!
We wish you best luck !

- Berzerk Crew

And thank you guys for making them. :)

You’ve definitely created an entity to be proud of, Jim. Good luck with this “world of politics” you speak of. Looks like Emily’s in charge!

Flag Post

Good luck man, thanks for the wonderful website!!

Flag Post
Originally posted by greg:

Things went better than expected.

And now you’re a millionaire, amirite?

Flag Post

Hello Emily.

Flag Post

so you have a new CEO

but the site still has no CROWS :’<

Flag Post

Good luck to you, and congratulations!

Flag Post

Kongratz Emily.

Flag Post

I’ve been a proud member of Kongregate since… a long time ago.
Goodbye, Jim and hello Emily.
Keep up the good work!

Flag Post

Congratulations Emily! :)

Flag Post

Congrats on making what i believe to be one of the best casual gaming sites around. I believe the partnership you have with Gamestop is also a noteworthy milestone. Congratulations to both of you and keep up the great work!

Flag Post

Congrats Emily and good luck to Jim

Flag Post

Congratulations.