Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.07.14)

91 posts

Flag Post

YAKV (yet another Kongregate version)! Our developers continue to plow through old bugs while simultaneously creating new features for the site. This release focused primarily on bug fixes and tweaks while we get together for a bigger launch hopefully sometime later this month. We do have one cool new feature that should help people who have been getting connection problems due to having blocked ports. And no more swearing in Kongai matches – sorry to everyone who ever has the privilege of playing against Greg and getting their tail handed to them. :)

The OCD fix this month was actually a fix for the mods: for a while we switched the system so that it looked like rooms were full and they couldn’t get in. They actually could get in, but we’ve fixed up the interface so it’s not self-contradictory any more.

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.07.14

Developers:
- We're cutting support to the "High Scores" API and have removed links to those tutorials. We still use the Statistics API that most people have been using, and we still support the API for both AS2 and AS3. I believe old games will continue working with the High Scores, but we will no longer provide support for those APIs. NOTE: This only affects developers using APIs - gamers will not see any difference. Also, we're not removing APIs, we're just no longer offering help or instructions for one of them so we can encourage developers to use the other one. Sorry for any confusion.
- We fixed a bug that lead to your revenue share being calculated two different ways and not agreeing on revenue reports. It should now be consistent. For those who are curious, both were correct at some level, but yielded different answers. One was a calculation of average revenue share on a day-by-day basis (so 3 days at 25% and 3 days at 35% would be 30%), while the other was an actual share based on money earned, so if you earned more gameplays on the 35% days, you might see 32% overall. We now only use the second, revenue-based method.

Users:
- Fixed a bug in IE8 that caused badge page links not to work properly.
- A number of users reported being false-silenced when doing nothing wrong. First off, we'd like to apologize to anyone who had this happen. We think we've made a change that will prevent this in the future, but if it happens to you after this fix (basically, you log in and find yourself silenced for no reason at all) please report it to support@kongregate.com. Note: this is not when you disagree with a mod's reason for silence, this is a rare case where you weren't silenced by anyone, but still couldn't talk in chat.
- Fixed a small bug that occasionally put the game over top of various light boxes (like login, leave a tip, etc.) that were supposed to be on top of the game.
- We made a slight change to how your browser loads chat icons - it's now one big sprite, which should help with performance and reliability.
- Fixed a bug that caused the "Next Recommended Badge" alert to occasionally show you badges you had already earned. Note that recommendations for badges in other games may still include badges you've earned, but it shouldn't happen any more for badges in the same game.
- The profanity filter is now enforced for match chat in multiplayer games.
- You can now opt-out of emails from us using a new opt-out link in automated emails. This doesn't include emails you can select with the Notifications options on your Account page, but would include other ones like when a friend sends you an invite or recommends a game.
- Made a slight change to one of our ads that was causing Kaspersky users to be unable to play games on our site (changed bumper_ad_shown -> bumper_shown if anyone's wondering - thank you Ventero!).
- Fixed a formatting issue with card albums and achievement lists in IE6. By the way, Youtube has announced that they are dropping support of IE6 soon. For anyone with IE6 who can upgrade, we'd strongly recommend doing so, because we can only continue supporting it for so long. And heck, if you can't use it to watch stupid people doing stupid things on Youtube, what's the point of having the browser?
- We are beginning testing a new HTTP-binding protocol (BOSH if people are curious, though don't ask me more than that, I don't know all the tech-y details) that will allow some people who are having connection problems with blocked ports get in easier. If you see a Yellow plug (as opposed to Red or Green), that means you're in BOSH. Things will be a little slower, but at least you can get in, chat, and get badges. :) We don't want to know how many of you are going to use this to connect at work now. La-la-la, we're not listening!

Flag Post

Looks like this will be a good one. Hopefully in the next large launch you can make the “Call Mod” button a legit part of Kongregate. And I have to say, I can’t wait to get the yellow plug at one point or another! And thanks for changing the add this, there were a lot of threads in the Tech Support forum about games not working, but me and a few others held them down. I would also like to say that the shade of color that the AFK user’s usernames in chat is a bit to similar to non-AFK players. And the new Moderator “M” is so much more out of focus.

Flag Post

Wow, cool! Except could this possibly put more lag on the chat? I really have no clue because I didn’t get what some of what you said meant… But I’ll just say that interface thing was probably really confusing for mods. Nice fix! But overall this looks like a good renovation.

Flag Post

I’ve already gotten the yellow plug. But now I’m still confused. I need to talk to jimgreer again…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Payton_Hayes:

I’ve already gotten the yellow plug. But now I’m still confused. I need to talk to jimgreer again…

If you have a question on one of these things you should just post it in the thread, then any user or an admin could be there to answer it.

Flag Post

Oh, and the new way to connect to chat does lag a bit more. Noticeably. But I’d rather be connected than not, so thanks. Maybe my internet can get me the green plug back. Who knows? :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlackBone:
Originally posted by Payton_Hayes:

If you have a question on one of these things you should just post it in the thread, then any user or an admin could be there to answer it.

I knoiw, I know. But this would be much easier to discuss in chat, and jim has already answered half of it.

Flag Post

Chances are that if you were able to chat with little lag and were able to sumbit highscores in the past, you will be able to do it again.

Flag Post

That’s not my question. My question is that jim mentioned some kind of level editing…? I wanted to know more about that. Such as, what levels? Is it developer exclusive?

EDIT: Or was he just being sarcastic? XD

Flag Post

OMG BOSH seems great! Maybe i can get badges in school then :D

Flag Post

One thing to work on in the near future is the when a developer is trying to upload a game that was a team effort – for example, I’m working with NextGames on a game, and I’d like to give him as much credit as he deserves. The collaboration feature for games right now gives you an option to put someone else, but the ad revenue and any contest money you win goes to the main account (the person who uploaded the file.) Is there any way you guys could split the ad revenue 50-50, and give both accounts 50% of the total ad revenue?

Flag Post

Basically my entire chatroom is now having problems with the chat freezing and having to refresh every few minutes.

Is this a desperate attempt to get more ad revenue?

Flag Post

Yeah, chat’s having issues – we’re looking into it right now. Could be related to the http-binding thing that we were trying.

Yishan – that could get tricky. I think it’s probably fairly rare that people have a 50-50 split, so we’d need to enable various percentages to show up. This could also cause a drop in payouts, since we only pay out when you hit at least $25, so if you’re splitting 50-50 and only get $48, that’s $24 between you and you wouldn’t hit the limit. Basically, it’d be a large undertaking to do revenue sharing and we’d strongly prefer to let the main contact handle divvying up the cash.

Flag Post

Ye, I’m just disconnecting in any random times.

Flag Post

i just got disconnected and there was 20 min chat lag. there are some problems with the new version or the servers.

Flag Post

yay! I think I noticed the API chnage becuase I uploaded it at 3AM Eastern and 12 AM Pacific. =D

EDIT: I am trying to connect from Manic to Adventure Club, and I can’t. Any reason why?

EDIT2: NVM.

Flag Post

Why no more Highscores API? :(

Flag Post

[link deleted] Click here to feed me a helpless animal!

Please don’t spam referrals in the forums

Flag Post

Boo

Just Having troubles connecting to chat. Have tryed IE8, Chrome, FireFox, Opera & Flock.

I may log in yet say 5 or ten mins latter im disconnected.
I got a badge – one i have been after for months as well … have screeny incase it dosnt show.

Best of luck code monkeys!

Warmest Wishes
Thorny

Flag Post

I still would like to see a “Call Mod” button as opposed to having to open a new window to look for a mod, which lags the chat.

Flag Post
Originally posted by InfiniteHunter:

I still would like to see a “Call Mod” button as opposed to having to open a new window to look for a mod, which lags the chat.

There is a call mod button.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/49370

Flag Post

I know this is tiny but anyone else notice Mod/Dev icons have a different font too :O

Flag Post
Originally posted by y0ttabyte:

I know this is tiny but anyone else notice Mod/Dev icons have a different font too :O

I just said that in chat :P

Flag Post

There was a thread about that already.