Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.08.04)

53 posts

Flag Post

Our developers have been chomping at the bit at the opportunity to do a major performance overhaul on the site and they finally got their opportunity. This release (which went out last night) was heavily based on performance improvements. Most of these are still on the back-end, but they’ve laid the groundwork for what will hopefully be a large performance improvement on the user end as well. I’ll post some graphs soon showing the performance gains we’re already seeing (it’s a little early for them to be visually obvious, but the numbers are looking very good).

In any case, we have a bunch of bug fixes, formatting tweaks, and improvements that we’ve made this release, and you can read about them in detail in the changelog. I do have two I want to highlight. First, we’ve added a new area that features the top shared content in a game, which you can see below the game near the game comments. It looks kinda like this:

Secondly, in a great win-win situation, we’ve got a new way of navigating your rewards history. Instead of using a page-number system (which was killing our database), we’ve now moved to a date-based system. So, you can flip through pages if you’d like, but you can also use the cool little calendar widget to jump exactly to whenever you want. We will likely be adding this type of navigation to a few more site features soon, and it looks like this:

On the site-performance side, here’s a graph of database reads from one of our databases over the past week. See a nice drop late on Tuesday night? :-)

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread. Because of the upgrade to Rails 2.3 (which was a pretty major back-end change) there may be some obscure bugs we didn’t find, so please post here if you see something acting oddly. Thanks!

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.08.04

Developers:
- Changed our upload page so that Opera won't freak out on it any more.
- Upload form now specifies that we don't allow 3rd-party payment or level-save systems in games on our site. If you want to learn more about our own payment or level-save systems, check out our forums or use the Development Support option on the Contact Us page.

Users:
- For those who this means something to, we upgraded to Rails 2.3. This led to some strange bugs (including a textile-formatting issue this morning with embedded links, but we think we've gotten that one fixed up), but overall should allow us to keep up with the newest Rails implementation and benefit from the various new features and performance improvements.
- Fixed a bug that was causing problems when attempting to embed some of the games on our Games For Your Site page.
- Added some security features to help prevent some exploits with our system.
- Modified the shout you get if an art Collabs is deleted to emphasize that photos are not accepted (since that's what most deletion confusion has been over).
- Removed the contest information from the Collabs section and replaced with a "Top Rated" section. We should be announcing winners before too long. Good luck to our weekly first-place entries!
- Tweaked a formatting issue with the shared content ratings sometimes overlapping.
- Made a few changes to sharing custom levels through Facebook and other sites.
- Tweaked our shared content interface to try to encourage more people to rate content. Also, those that are under judgment won't show up in the top-rated lists.
- Added a box so we can feature the top shared content in a game down near the game comments.
- Fixed a bug that would occasionally show registered users a tab asking them to sign up for an account. Also fixed an IE7 formatting error when the Sign Up tab appeared for guests.
- Fixed a small formatting issue in our Sign Up lightbox in IE7 and Opera.
- Patched a bug that showed a (non-working) chat box to guests when they switched tabs.
- On top of all those, a lot of work has gone into some major performance enhancements. Some of these won't be noticeable yet, but they laid the groundwork for what hopefully will be a major performance boost in our next release. Some of this performance will only be visible to us (in that our servers will stop crying so much, making it easier to keep growing) while other enhancements will hopefully lead to a better, faster experience for you guys too!
- The only major change for performance that you'll see with this release is the new navigation tool for your rewards history. We've done away with the concept of numbered pages (because it was killing our database to calculate those) and instead offer the ability to page through one at a time or jump to a specific date with the handy little calendar feature. It means much more efficiency on our end and a quicker, easier way to go back and check our your first impossible badge on your end. :) We will eventually be adding this type of navigation to game comments as well, and potentially a few other places if the need arises.

Flag Post

(CR 2009.08.04)

shouldn’t it be (CR 2009.08.05)?

Yay for updates!

Flag Post

New update! Woohoo. I like how things are updated so quickly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by knio:

New update! Woohoo. I like how things are updated so quickly.

I likehow we posted before the updates were posted IN the update thread.

Flag Post

I totally noticed the page numbers in threads are all underlined, and jumped to the Kongregate forums to see the update. Now just to wait for the [reserved]’s to go away.

Flag Post

Yikes, I’ve got to stop it with the Reserved thing and just post it all at once. You guys are too quick! And yes, my links aren’t embedding – I’m working on fixing it. That’s one of the Rails 2.3 bugs that cropped up. We have the fix ready, just need to patch it.

Flag Post

Cool! Can’t wait to see what the changes look like when I start looking around.

Flag Post

Cool! Can’t wait to see when I can embed photos like a normal kongregater.

Flag Post

Updates ftw!!!!! I wish I could tell.

Flag Post

- Changed our upload page so that Opera won’t freak out on it any more.

Congratulations all to all 5 active Opera users! ;)

- The only major change for performance that you’ll see with this release is the new navigation tool for your rewards history. We’ve done away with the concept of numbered pages (because it was killing our database to calculate those) and instead offer the ability to page through one at a time or jump to a specific date with the handy little calendar feature. It means much more efficiency on our end and a quicker, easier way to go back and check our your first impossible badge on your end. :) We will eventually be adding this type of navigation to game comments as well, and potentially a few other places if the need arises.

That’s pretty cool. Yay for updates.

Flag Post

I noticed the “Featured Maps” or levels yesterday..

Flag Post

Awesome!

Awesome!
Awesome!
Awesome!

EDIT: yay, it’s working :D

Flag Post

In the next update could it be possible to make it so that the badge you can search for easy, medium, hard and impossibles separately so you can see how many of each you have?

Nice update, looking forward to all the new things and I’m glad the formatting bugs are fixed.

Flag Post

Agreed, nice update!

Flag Post

googoolyeye – your link should work now. The fix for those bugs has been patched through (which is why my images are working now too). Just edit your reply and save it and the formatting will fix.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:
“Article about this”:http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2206078/trojan-hijacks-google-text-ads

Any guesses why I can link in this topic but not in the “Kongregate has gone down the hole….” topic?

Oddly if I add another line its fine.

Originally posted by dd790:

Article about this

Sorry about the double post, trying to point out a linking bug

Flag Post

I’m having a bug with the calender feature. When I click on it I can’t see the full calender but a scroll bar pops up. When I click on the bar to scroll the calender disappears. I’m using Firefox 3.5.2.

Screenshot:

Flag Post

Very weird…we’ll have to look at it and see what’s going on, but sounds like you’re right that it’s a small glitch related to the formatting and the number of lines. Thanks – I’ll check it out.

bobluke – thanks, we’ll look into it.

Flag Post

New updates FTW!

Flag Post

Inb4Kyru!

Er… wait..

Looks like. =D

Flag Post

test

Flag Post

Strangely, that worked just fine for me when it was the online line.

“Articleaboutthis”:http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2206078/trojan-hijacks-google-text-ads

I dunno – I’m gonna log a bug for it. Thanks.

Flag Post

Well done on the new updates. Kudos to the team!

Flag Post

Good updates. Phoenix, I have a question regarding last Kong’s update – even though you discontinued Highscores API, is Statistics API capable of creating highscore tables? I mean, are we able to check scores from friends from a game that only uses Statistics API? Or no more highscores, just stat reporting?

And another question – would adding a white box where we type a number page kill the server, too? I don’t know, I just don’t like the calendar much. =)