Forums Kongregate

Better Kongregate Firefox Add-on [UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012]

436 posts

Flag Post

Better Kongregate is an add-on I created for Firefox that brings 36 Greasemonkey scripts for Kongregate together in one simple package. You don’t need to know anything about scripting or Greasemonkey to install the add-on and you’ll be able to enable or disable each feature as desired. Also, there are links available that will take you right to a description of the script on its webpage at www.userscripts.org. Here’s an animated screenshot (anyone with Firefox 3.0 or higher will be able to see the animation):

Version 2.7 (April 22, 2010)

• Added Ventero’s Fullscreen Chat Script

• Added skyboy’s Orange Moderators Script

• Compiler rewritten by Ventero

• Namespacing for the addon’s preferences fixed

• Version numbers next to each script in the Help tab

• All scripts updated to their newest version

• Version 2.6 (February 27, 2010)

• Added MrSpontaneous’s Two-Way Messenger Script. Allows for automatic PM conversations, negating the need for having to constantly enter /w username to talk to the same person. See script page for the slash commands

• Version 2.5.1 (February 24, 2010)

• Re-added SavageWolf’s KPE script

Older Versions: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/13677

General Features:

• Optionally disables .gif (animated) avatars on Kongregate and replaces them with a default avatar (disabled by default). (script written by Vara)

• Adds colorful borders to badge icons based on their difficulty (disabled by default). (script written by me, musicdemon)

• Give a logical title to every Kongregate webpage. No more “Kongregte: Play Free Games Online” (script written by me, musicdemon)

• Make your games fullscreen (script written by Reinderien)

• Add muting, quoting & reporting to each post in the forums (script written by arcaneCoder)

• Remove "Play " and “, a free online game on Kongregate” from page titles while on game pages (script written by SwornPacifist)

• Increase the width of the Kongregate forums (script written by Ventero)

• Chat Features:
    • Allows for automatic PM conversations, negating the need for having to constantly enter /w username to talk to the same person. (script written by MrSpontaneous)

• Choose your own chatbox size! You can specify height, width, and even userlist height. (script written by Ventero)

• Blinks the favicon and prepends an unread count when you’re in another tab and you receive PMs. (script written by MrSpontaneous)
    Preview: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9143/pmnotifier.png

• See the most popular games currently being played in chat using the /mp command (script written by Ventero)

• Get the date of your last Shout and Whisper using the /getsw command (script written by me, musicdemon)

• Show the timestamp and a whisper link when you mouseover the sender of a message (script written by Ventero)

• Open the full profile for a user if you right click on their name in the chat window (script written by Aru)

• Add a modcall button to the chat actions drop down. It will randomly summon a mod that has volunteered to cover the current room (script written by Aru)

• Choose your own color for AFK users (script written by me, musicdemon)

• Add an /afk-command to Kongregate’s chat, which will flag you as afk and can be customized by using the /afkmessage command. (script written by Ventero)

• Add a timestamp to every message in chat (script written by Ventero)

• Limit your text input to 250 characters (script written by Ventero)

• Highlight lines which include your name and other words you choose (script written by Ventero)

• Add an /r command to Kongregate’s chat which automatically replaces with “/w <last>” when pressing space. (script written by Ventero)

• Replace the current word with the first user in the userlist whose name starts with that word when you press Tab (script written by Ventero)

• If you know of any other working Kongregate scripts that you would like included in this addon, please post in this thread. The addon is not too much work to update.

Lastly, I would like to thank Gina Trapani for providing the multi-script compiler that I used to create this addon and Ventero for assisting me in modifying it. If you want to combine Greasemonkey scripts to make your own add-on, you need to have a lot of patience, be familiar with PHP and shell scripting in the Unix terminal. There are a lot of pieces that need to be put together in a certain way for the addon to compile correctly.

LINK TO ADDON:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13677/

Post here with your comments about the Better Kongregate addon! Also, please write a short review on the addon at the above link so that it can be nominated to go public and be taken out of the “experimental” state. The addon has been tested and there are no known bugs so far.

EDIT: Several features are disabled by default. Click on the Kongregate icon in the status bar to change the Options.

Flag Post

This is epic…Thanks :D

Flag Post

MusicDemon for Mod. x] <3
    This is great. Firefox ftw. :s

Flag Post

Totally awesome musicdemon. Thanks for this you rock!

Flag Post

This is the best add-on.

Flag Post

Very nice! I personally only use 3 scripts, but I know many that had to download each one 83 Very nice and helpful!

Flag Post

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

NOTE: The “Downloads” statistic will be at 0 for the next 24-48 hours because I just uploaded it this morning and it takes time for the statistics to be processed by mozilla.

Flag Post

Musicdemon, you rock. <3

Flag Post

The chat ones occasionally prevent it from loading…

Flag Post

Sweet, I’m trying it right now!

Flag Post

Sounds great.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by SavageWolf:

The chat ones occasionally prevent it from loading…

Could you be a little more specific, SavageWolf? In testing, Ventero’s “Kongregate Chat Timestamp”, not his newest in-chat timestamp one that’s included in my addon, was completely broken with the addon. It also caused the Modcaller and Game Page Titles scripts to break as well, so I removed it from the addon. If you have that script active in Greasemonkey, I suggest you disable it.

Flag Post

How does full screen work? I tried in Help, but there is no info about using this script.

Flag Post

I think it may be the AFK color chooser, but I’m not that sure…
    I’m using Fx 3.0 so that might be it….

Flag Post

This is Awesome!

Flag Post
    Originally posted by The_3lder:

How does full screen work? I tried in Help, but there is no info about using this script.

The fullscreen is disabled by default. If you go into Tools—>Addons and find the Better Kongregate addon, you will see an Options button that will allow you to turn on/off any feature in the addon. Just check the checkbox for fullscreen, refresh the page, and your games should load fullscreen :)

EDIT: I’ll add this information to my original post to help prevent any future confusion :)

I think it may be the AFK chooser, but I’m not that sure…

To change the AFK chat color, just type /afkcolor or /afkcolour in the chat box then the color in hex code. There’s more info about that script and examples of how to use it here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54533

Flag Post

I think it may be the AFK color chooser, but I’m not that sure…

Hmm, I’m using 3.5.2 and I have no problems at all.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by musicdemon:

I think it may be the AFK chooser, but I’m not that sure…

To change the AFK chat color, just type /afkcolor or /afkcolour in the chat box then the color in hex code. There’s more info about that script and examples of how to use it here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54533

It prevents the whole chat from loading, it just stops on “loading chat”. I don’t actually need this script but other users might.

Here’s a tip, if you have a modified version of any of these scripts in greasemonkey, you can load them by unchecking the relevant entry. For example if you have edited the modcall script to make it display a confirmation box, then you have to uncheck the “modcall” entry to make the box appear.

Flag Post

I like the Mute User thingy over here and the report thingy - >

Flag Post

With the advent of Firefox 3.5 in mid July, a lot of the scripts had to be rewritten to work with the multiple changes to Firefox. I wrote that AFK color script just a couple weeks ago to address those changes and that is probably why that particular script is not working with FF3.0.

Flag Post

Now, if someone would write a better fullscreen script. The current one breaks the layout a lot and the chat doesn’t show up correctly with the game.

Otherwise it’s a really nifty package.

Flag Post

Yes, I like it, you win +1 internets for this.

Flag Post

wow really like this add-on.

Flag Post

Very nice! :)

Flag Post

Does this by any chance happen to work for internet explorer?