Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.08.25)

65 posts

Flag Post

Note: If anyone is getting errors when opening game pages, please log out and then log back in.
Full details are given in this thread.

This newest release from last night marks a goal that our developers have had for quite some time. They did a major reworking of how we store and load the game pages and the result is a much faster, smoother gaming experience. You’ll still notice a short delay for the connection to the chat server, but loading of all of the game page assets (the instructions, badges, game comments, etc.) should be almost instantaneous.

We’ve also done a number of bug fixes and tweaks, as listed below. As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.08.25

Developers:
- Fixed a bug that crept in from our upgrade to Rails 2.3 last time that was breaking screenshots in bug reports for games. They should be working fine now.
- Fixed a minor textual error. Even though we upped the game upload limit to 20MB a while ago, we forgot to change the text on the upload form to reflect that. Oops!
- Implemented a new solution for cache invalidation that should fix the bug where making changes to supplemental files would not be reflected for users who had previously played the game. (This change actually isn't going into effect until later this week)

Users:
- The biggest change with this release is that we are now caching a lot of the game page. All of the same functionality and features are present, but you should notice a much snappier load time for game pages, though it will still take a second to connect to chat.
- We've added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded. Please don't create threads about them - this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games and we'll remove them and ban the uploader.
- Fixed some bugs that caused a couple of linking methods in textile on the forums to misbehave.
- We're no longer supporting the Facebook App as a way of logging into Kongregate, so if you had a Facebook App account and cannot log in, please contact us at support@kongregate.com and we'll hook you up with a full-fledged Kongregate account. And don't worry, you won't lose any of your progress or badges. :)
- Fixed a small bug that caused long comments to mess up the formatting on Collabs pages.
- No more muting of admins. Not many of you had done it (only about 300, including one mod who may or may not have the word "fuzz" in his name), but muting admins prevents us from communicating important info, and also caused a bug in the add-as-collaborator feature, so we've disabled it. I promise we won't spam you with our new un-mutable accounts. Except AlisonClaire. She just might be crazy enough to do it.
- Fixed a bug that messed up the pagination if you deleted one of your game comments.
- Fixed a bug that was causing one of our Axe ads to break chat connections (this was our fault by the way, not Axe's, so please don't blame them).
- Last week marked the end of the Collabs competitions - don't worry, Collabs is here to stay, but the weekly cash prizes have completed. Thank you everyone who entered the contest, and congrats to backburner for winning the gold in the Art contest with Whale Sub and to robotaki for taking the grand prize in the Sound category with Falling from Heaven! Also, a huge thank you to Scion for sponsoring the entire Collabs section and the contest!
- OCD Bugfix: So, for the past month or so, the most recent unearned badge has been invisible on the badges page. I'm not sure how this was so important, considering it showed up everywhere else, but the OCDness prevailed and lead to numerous forum posts and emails. Rest-assured - all badges are now shown. Now go check the stove and make sure it isn't on.

Flag Post

Oooh, it is faster. Ta muchly.

Flag Post

Nice, thanks phoenix.

Flag Post

Ha – thank our programmers. I’m just the messenger. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:
- We’ve added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded. Please don’t create threads about them – this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games and we’ll remove them and ban the uploader.

This needs to be bolded and enlarged.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Babadingldoo:
- We’ve added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded. Please don’t create threads about them – this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games and we’ll remove them and ban the uploader.

We’ve added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded. Please don’t create threads about them – this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games and we’ll remove them and ban the uploader.

Otherwise, thanks. :)

Flag Post

- No more muting of admins. Not many of you had done it (only about 300, including one mod who may or may not have the word “fuzz” in his name), but muting admins prevents us from communicating important info, and also caused a bug in the add-as-collaborator feature, so we’ve disabled it. I promise we won’t spam you with our new un-mutable accounts. Except AlisonClaire. She just might be crazy enough to do it.

Oh no, now we can’t mute them when they try to steal our Runescape accounts.

Hehe, good update. I love how Kongregate is so public with all of their updates :D

Flag Post

fuzz…hehe does it or does it not contain fuzzy?

Flag Post

Great update except for one thing… games aren’t anything anymore… since this update everytime i click a game it comes up as the error page… go on and tell me if this happens for you. I tried it for every game and i refreshed the page, still comes up as error page. Other than that nuke everything else is great lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by chimchim930:

Great update except for one thing… games aren’t anything anymore… since this update everytime i click a game it comes up as the error page… go on and tell me if this happens for you. I tried it for every game and i refreshed the page, still comes up as error page. Other than that nuke everything else is great lol

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/54720

Flag Post
Originally posted by lambard667:

We’ve added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded. Please don’t create threads about them – this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games and we’ll remove them and ban the uploader.

That isn’t enlarged, that’s italisized. >:P

Flag Post

Very nice update Phoenix

Flag Post

Happieh nao?

Flag Post

Oh thanks! i didn’t see that

Flag Post
Originally posted by AioriaRox:

Happieh nao?

Now make the middle sentnece bigger (or the others smaller). :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sharingan123:

fuzz…hehe does it or does it not contain fuzzy?

‘twas intentionally vague. Protecting the innocent or some crap like that. Though here’s another clue: the name also contains the word “con”. ;)

And oh holy crap, attack of the quote pyramids…let’s not get out of hand here. :P I did go ahead and italicize that middle sentence, but I think I’m going to avoid the madness that ensued with the giant bold text of doom.

Flag Post

I don’t know if it’s the new update or if it’s my computer, but the games aren’t working with me O_o

Flag Post

ends pyramid

We’ve added a new tool that will allow us to react more quickly to offensive games that are uploaded.

Please don’t create threads about them – this only attracts more attention. Just flag them and move on to better games

and we’ll remove them and ban the uploader

Is everybody happy now? :3

Originally posted by craigkiller:

I don’t know if it’s the new update or if it’s my computer, but the games aren’t working with me O_o

Just log out and log in again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by craigkiller:

Oh thanks! i didn’t see that

Flag Post

Can you please stop with the annoying large text, it is annoying. =P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dragon_of_Ra:

Can you please stop with the annoying large text, it is annoying. =P

Annoying large text is annoying? I never would have guessed!

Flag Post

Sheesh…please don’t tell me I’m going to have to lock one of my own Version Release threads. :-P

Flag Post

Is it intended that the “xyz friends online” in the welcome-div is now bold?

Flag Post

Sheesh…please don’t tell me I’m going to have to lock one of my own Version Release threads. :-P

There’s a chance :P