Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.09.02)

56 posts

Flag Post

Wow – only a week later and there’s another release? Apparently that Adderall we bought from an email drug retailer for our programmers is paying off!

In any case, as you may expect, this isn’t a huge release, but it does include one very cool new feature: we have a slick new game name suggester in the search bar that will make finding games much easier on the site. Go ahead, try it out now! Just type part of the name of your favorite game in the search bar and watch it automatically pop up! Well, I guess it pops more down than up, but whatever, it’s still really cool. :)

We’ve also done a number of bug fixes and tweaks, as listed below. As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.09.03

Developers:

- The below-mentioned game search tool should alleviate the problems some developers were having with their games not showing up in searches on our site. w00t!

Users:

- We’ve added a new game name suggester search tool that will make finding games much easier than search previously allowed. Simply type in part of the name of a game or the name of a developer and you’ll see a list (sorted by user rating) of games that match. If you want more options, including forum posts and user profiles, you can just click the Search button to go into one of our normal searches we’ve always had.

- Speaking of which, you may now see a slight increase in speed of some of the normal searches. We’ve added some new caching techniques that will store the results of popular searches so we don’t always have to hit Google each time someone does a search for “I hate Madagascar!”.

- We’ve also replaced the strange-looking search spinner that appeared last week with the correctly-colored one, so it shouldn’t look all stippled like it did previously.

- Fixed a bug that prevented muting people from chat.

- Made some changes to prevent Firefox caching from causing strange behavior when using the browser’s back and forward buttons on game pages.

- Fixed a bug that was creating a giant cookie and causing some users to be unable to load game pages.

- Fixed a bug that was causing Chrome to sometimes be unable to connect to chat.

- Finally tracked down and squashed, with extreme prejudice, a hard-to-find bug that was falsely telling people that they were being silenced when they had done nothing wrong (and in many cases had never spoken in chat).

- OCD Bugfix: So, we tried to thank you guys a lot for leaving a comment. And by a lot, I mean on every comment on the page. But nooooooo! You don’t want lots of thanks. So fine. Now it only thanks you for your own comment. I hope you’re happy.

Flag Post

First!

Oh yeah.

Made some changes to prevent Firefox caching from causing strange behavior when using the browser’s back and forward buttons on game pages.

Oh yay, I hated that.

I hope you’re happy.

I refuse to be happy, but only because you said I should be. I DEMAND A REFUND!

What do you mean, I didn’t pay anything?

Flag Post

Great update, guys.
Really enjoying the new searchbar. Makes things so much easier.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FuzzyBacon:

First!

Oh yeah.

Made some changes to prevent Firefox caching from causing strange behavior when using the browser’s back and forward buttons on game pages.

Oh yay, I hated that.

I hope you’re happy.

I refuse to be happy, but only because you said I should be. I DEMAND A REFUND!

What do you mean, I didn’t pay anything?

I’m officially renaming you “SpasticBacon”.

Flag Post

I’m officially renaming you “SpasticBacon”.

Go for it.

This is what you get for me being in a room below people that played loud, thumping music all damned night. Energy drinks + cheesecake = hyper.

Flag Post

Oh yeah. The new search bar is awesome. I noticed it yesterday night and I thought it was a feature of the Better Kongregate script. facepalm

Also, this silence bug fix is great. (fortunately, I was never a victim of this meany bug.) Fuzzy won’t be able to fool people who silenced by telling them it’s a bug. :O Jay kay. Anyway, thanks for keeping us informed for that up-to-date Kongregate versions, Phoenix.

Flag Post

u should make it so user names also pop up wen u type part of there name

Flag Post

Wow, this is REALLY slick. The new search bar makes Google’s auto-complete look like child’s play.

Flag Post

Does the search button find games under 2.00 rating?

Flag Post

WOW! This is awesome!

Flag Post

YAY better search bar FTW!

:(… All those thanks’ made me feel special :((

Flag Post

The new search bar orders by rating, so if there are too many popular games that match your search before the <2 rated game, it’ll take a more exact search.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Thanks for the news about the new update. I’m surprised that you released a new version a week later after the new version was out. At least this one is getting a lot better than last time I think.

Flag Post

Ha, thanks Dragon_of_Ra! We’ll get that fixed up.

Flag Post

Nice uppdate. If you press search and not wrote any in the search-bar. Then it search for “Search for games & more” :P

Flag Post

I saw a bug yesterday which gave this picture in collabs a rating of “5.33”. But it did get fixed after 5 minutes or so, i thought it better be mentioned. And that chrome not loading chat and games not loading bug fixes are AWESOME!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Flag Post

I just spoted another one, Phoenix.

Flag Post

Still no fix for the broken “Watch Topic” bug that was introduced with the last version?

- Tick “Watch Topic”.
- Check “Monitored posts”, it is not there.
- Return to the page, the box is not ticked.

Originally posted by xxXPsychoFadeXxx:

I just spoted another one, Phoenix.

That bug has been around for longer than I have been on kongregate.

Flag Post

Yeah, the ago ago is one that’ve had in our bug tracker for a while – we’ll get it some time. :)

The Watch Topic bug is extremely low priority because of how few people were using the feature. We may end up just dropping the links rather than trying to figure out what exactly went wrong in the upgrade to Rails 2.3. :/

Sharigan: That’s bizarre – we’ll have to keep an eye out for that. Not sure how it happened, but glad to know it corrected itself.

Originally posted by dragonewyn:

Nice uppdate. If you press search and not wrote any in the search-bar. Then it search for “Search for games & more” :P

Yup, but thanks to our new caching that search will pop up much faster since other people are probably trying it too. ;)

Flag Post

I’m not sure if this is a bug, but a friend told me that you cannot edit your game’s title after proccessing to the second step of the Developers page. (I hope that makes sense D= )

If it is not a bug, then I’m sorry. I really don’t know much about Game Development.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xxXPsychoFadeXxx:

I’m not sure if this is a bug, but a friend told me that you cannot edit your game’s title after proccessing to the second step of the Developers page. (I hope that makes sense D= )

If it is not a bug, then I’m sorry. I really don’t know much about Game Development.

That’s not a bug

Flag Post

Yeah – it’s slightly counter-intuitive, but it’s the intended behavior at this time. If you realize you used the wrong name, click the “Cancel Upload” button on the Preview page and it will completely remove the game and you can start over. If you’ve already published it, use the Development Support link on the Contact Us page and we can usually help you with it.

Flag Post

- Made some changes to prevent Firefox caching from causing strange behavior when using the browser’s back and forward buttons on game pages.

Thanks so much for this. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem, but I tend to have a lot of problems with using the back and forward buttons on games.

- Finally tracked down and squashed, with extreme prejudice, a hard-to-find bug that was falsely telling people that they were being silenced when they had done nothing wrong (and in many cases had never spoken in chat).

Good stuff. :)

- OCD Bugfix: So, we tried to thank you guys a lot for leaving a comment. And by a lot, I mean on every comment on the page. But nooooooo! You don’t want lots of thanks. So fine. Now it only thanks you for your own comment. I hope you’re happy.

It was very sweet while it lasted. :3

Thanks for these awesome updates and bug-fixes.