Forums Kongregate

When handling a Trolling Situation

51 posts

Flag Post

From personal experience, I was an idiot at handling a Trolling Situation. I noticed I was unable to handle a Trolling Sitaution correctly. So I was determined to start off and figure out ways to handle a Trolling Situation. When I got my information, I thought “I will provide useful ways to handle a Trolling Situation” (should you be unaware of the methods)

Mute – Report an Abusive User – ModCall – Modfriend – Whisper Active Moderators

When a Troll is causing trouble, you must first notice the Signs

A Troll walks in, unsuspectingly about to cause some spam and flame issues. There are no mods around, and he calls out a random user. He says ˚•[Rant]•˚ you and you take immediate action. You say ˚•[Rant]•˚ you right back. That’s a no-no. You just fed a troll, which does nothing. It only worsens a situation. Let’s back up, and try and get this right.

A Troll walks in, unsuspectingly about to cause some spam and flame issues. There are no mods around, and he calls out a random user. He says ˚•[Rant]•˚ you and you take immediate action. You—

—Mute—

This is a simple way to handle a Troll that simply chooses one user. If a Troll calls you out, you feel he is mistakenly flaming or abusing you, you should mute them. It’s a simple process that takes a few steps.

1.) Find their name under the Chatroom listing and place the cursor over their nameª, or just click their name directly from the chatº

1ª.) Move your cursor below the choice of options and look for “Mute.” Click this button, and you’ll find the chatroom less spammy

1º.) Once you’ve click their name from the chat, you’ll be linked to their small profile (This is where you can view simple facts about the user, e.g. Their Age/Sex/Location, their Profile, their Recent Badges, and Favorite Games) which has two red options below user information. One is “+Add as friend” and the other is “Mute user.” Simply click “Mute user” and the Troll has been settled (from your chat, that is)

—Report an Abusive User—

This is a way to make sure justice prevails! (Since muting only mutes the user from your chat). Reporting is another great step to handle a Trolling Situation. The steps are simple

1.) Find their name under the Chatroom listing and place the cursor over their nameª, or just click their name directly from the chatº.

1ª.)Click their name, or click “View Profile” in the red text. Once you have done this, you’ll be revealed their small profile. Click (see full profile) an you will open up to another window which is the User’s full profile. You’ll then look below the User’s Profile and notice small statistics and personal information. Next, you’ll see add [Username] as friend | mute | report abuse and Click report abuse. Once you click this, you’ll have an opened text box, and a list of abuse types

[Select an abuse type √]

[Innapropriate username]

[Inappropriate avatar]

[Offensive profile content]

[Chat beahvior]

[Other]

This user said ˚•[Rant]•˚ you to me

Once you have filled out the report, and clicked (submit), the user will be reported, and Administration will look into this report

1º.) Same as above, just click the user’s name direct from chat

—ModCall—

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/49370?page=1

That’s the ModCall link, should you not have it. This is good for calling a Moderator in case of Troll and the Moderators are away. Or stick to Troll Spray. This works more often, and costs less

1.) Go to [Chat Actions √]

2.) Go to Mod Call action

3.) Click it

Now the moderator will be present, in moments after your “ModCall”

—Modfriend—

Ahh, a user’s best friend. Should you be unable to download ModCall, and have no sense of any moderators online, you have Modfriend to help. Just keep this link ( http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/modfriend/friends ) in somewhere on your bookmarks, or on your general person. Once you use this, a list of Moderators that are online appear, and magically, you can return to the game chat and Whisper to an active moderator

1.) Go to http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/modfriend/friends and view active moderators
2.) Return to the game chat
3.) Whisper to a moderator that you have a troll in [Enter Chatroom here] and wait for a responseª
3ª.) If no response, refer to a different mod on the Modfriend’s List

—Whisper to Moderator—

This is as simple and as hassling as it gets. Not really, but there is one remaining effort to halt a Troll in their Track. Whisper a Moderator directly

1.) Should you not have kept modfriends on your general person, then you resort to the ways of early 2005–2008. Whispering a Moderator is not as painful as drinking bleach. Just type in your chat box

/w [Moderator Name] We need a moderator in [Chatroom]

2.) Await a reply and a definite answer. If no reply, hang-up, or for delivery options, press pound. That won’t happen, but you should try another mod, you know. Not every Moderator is active at that moment, or can come, or will respond. Just try again and again until a Moderator says they will come

That wasn’t so painful, huh? I hope this guide can be useful, inform me of any new methods of contacting Moderators, or handling Trolls (aside from “NOT FEEDING THE TROLLS”)

Send me feedback on this topic

Flag Post

I feel obliged to note that many users that this guide is targeted at will never read it, due to not browsing the forums.

Flag Post

cool good job :D

Flag Post

So just do what most users already do that are not idiots.

Flag Post
Originally posted by blood18:

So just do what most users already do that are not idiots.

you hit the nail on the head

Flag Post

That wasn’t so painful, huh?

Actually, I feel a sharp pain in my upper back.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RayFromAchewood:

LOL SO FUNNIE

Flag Post
Originally posted by cjk98:

LOL SO FUNNIE

Obv alt is obv

Flag Post

And I know that because you told me the password.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Strider_:
Originally posted by cjk98:

LOL SO FUNNIE

Obv alt is obv

Obv alt is not obv

Flag Post

ahem

Obv alt is not obv

And I know that because you told me the password.

Flag Post

Thank you, now when I encounter a troll in the wilderness, I will now know how to react. I am definitely glad to see that you learned the proper way to deal with trolls after handling it improperly!

Flag Post

A nice guide on handling trolls. I should be better at handling these situations from now on..

Flag Post

I will mute instead of silence. Thanks, I needed that clarification.

Flag Post

Nice Guide. You can has cookie.(::)
_

Flag Post
Originally posted by JudeMaverick:

Yeah… This applies to members ;P

Originally posted by nyamyaoreo:

A nice guide on handling trolls. I should be better at handling these situations from now on..

You’re welcome! I worked hard all that night to get the HTML codes right

Originally posted by Syphur:

Thank you, now when I encounter a troll in the wilderness, I will now know how to react. I am definitely glad to see that you learned the proper way to deal with trolls after handling it improperly!

Troll Spray is a definite must in your Troll Handling Kit (complete with lunchbox)

Originally posted by JetLag:

Nice Guide. You can has cookie.(::)

_

nomnomnom

Flag Post

When handling a Trolling Situation – Troll back.

JAYKAY♥
I really like your thread. (: Now, if only users took this advice. (;

Flag Post

This thread isn’t sticky enough yet!

Flag Post

Nice topic :) Just get some of the textile/HTML right then it may be linked through a sticky at least.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zaraki:

Nice topic :) Just get some of the textile/HTML right then it may be linked through a sticky at least.

Agreed. This must go to the stickies! =D

Flag Post

Thanks for all the support… I hope the HTML’s are right now!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Real_AwEsUm:
Originally posted by JudeMaverick:

Yeah… This applies to members ;P

Because mods aren’t members, they’re actually just cyborgs. Well-known fact.

Nice post, but as deathreape said, you need a way to get the average user to read it. Most forum-goers are the ones that already know this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tasslehoff

Because mods aren’t members, they’re actually just cyborgs. Well-known fact.

Nice post, but as deathreape said, you need a way to get the average user to read it. Most forum-goers are the ones that already know this.

I’ll find a way like I did find a way to Atlantis

Flag Post

Good stuff, Awesum. :)

Mention in your whispering a moderator section that the mod may not answer or come, and in that case call somebody else.

Flag Post

As Marh said, when whispering or calling a mod, the mod may be AFK, Or simply busy with another room. in that case, they users should try to find a mod that is able to come.