Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.10.11)

41 posts

Flag Post

This version features the brand spankin’ new game browser. It has more information, quicker navigation between categories, and features the top two results in a sort. Plus it looks cool (and to everyone who thinks it doesn’t, give it a few days to get used to it – it’s amazing how afraid of aesthetic change some of you are!). On top of that, we have a bunch of bug fixes, tweaks, and even two OCD fixes!

Check out all the details in the changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

P.S. – I was curious about how “spankin’” got into that phrase. My best guess is that it has something to do with spanking a newborn baby. Can anyone confirm or have another explanation?

EDIT – Apparently I was quite wrong, if that site is accurate. Oh well…

Flag Post

CR 2009.10.11

Developers:
- Removed the "ad impressions" column from the revenue report. We weren't actually using this statistic to calculate anything related to revenue and it was confusing to have it on that report. This will in no way change how we calculate your revenue, we're just removing extraneous information.
- Fixed a bug that caused a few games to end up in a "half-published" state where they were marked as published but not showing up in public listings.
- Changed "Tip Revenue" to "Kred Revenue" and includes a more detailed listing for developers who are using microtransactions.

Users:
- Completely redid the design of the games browser to be slicker, quicker, and include more information (specifically game descriptions are now visible as well). It also now features the top two results in a sort, giving our best games some well-deserved extra attention.
- Removed a token from the user RSS feed that created a security risk as well as added a number of security fixes and improvements. Thank you Ventero!
- Modified the text of the shared content check box to make it clear that unchecking it will remove it from all public listings, not just keep it off of your profile.
- Fixed a bug that caused some ads to appear on top of our lightboxes.
- Changed an apparently long-standing subtle bug (that we just noticed) that caused a certain type of stat to double-count the first time it registered. For example, the first level you beat in Fancy Pants, if you got 8 squiggles, you'd get credit for 16. Each level after that would have been normal. In any case, it's fixed now.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes would have game listings sorted by rating show games that were still under judgment.
- Fixed the behavior that was causing the screen to bounce to the top when you added a user as a friend using the roll-over menu in chat.
- Patched up a bug that was causing our interface to not always show awards that were earned right away and preventing some achievements from being awarded at all. Thanks for everyone who had patience with us on the "T" ticket from the ODST contest. :)
- Fixed a long-standing bug that caused Opera to freak out when using mouse-over menus in chat when the user list was scrolled down.
- Fixed the bug that was created by Opera with their new release that caused the above-mentioned mouse-over menu bug fix that we made to break. This fix actually involved deleting the previous fix. Thanks Opera…
- OCD Bugfix: The achievements tab now shows the correct number of active users in chat instead of saying "Join 0 people in chat" all the time. Yay!
- OCD Bugfix #2: Yup, you get two OCD fixes this month! Your tickets are now displayed on your profile in the order that they are obtained instead of their order of creation. For most people this will mean that the 9 ticket will no longer be in the middle of the ODST tickets. The planets are back in alignment now, you can all sleep peacefully.

Flag Post

I think this could have only included the ODST ticket fix and still be one of the most popular pushes ever.

Flag Post
we’re just removing extraneous information.

Funny how I learned that word a week ago in my English class.. XD

I don’t really know what you mean by game browser though.. :(

EDIT: Nvm, I see it. Nice work! :D

Flag Post

When you fixed the ad impressions for the developer’s revenue report, you accidentally left a tab at the top of the table, so game, version published, plays, gross earnings, % share, and net earnings are all placed to the right of their real column a bit. If you want a print screen, I can get you one.

Flag Post

Really? What browser are you using? I’m seeing this in Safari:

(btw, you don’t have to post your financial info here – feel free to leave a whisper or blur things out if you want to post a screenshot)

Flag Post

Psst, even though I implemented API a long time ago I do not have 50% rev share..only like 43. :(

Why is that?

Flag Post

So when is Chrome getting these longtime bugfixes. :(

Flag Post

- Fixed a long-standing bug that caused Opera to freak out when using mouse-over menus in chat when the user list was scrolled down.
- Fixed the bug that was created by Opera with their new release that caused the above-mentioned mouse-over menu bug fix that we made to break. This fix actually involved deleting the previous fix. Thanks Opera…

LOL!

So when is Chrome getting these longtime bugfixes. :(

IIRC, much of the issues that Kong has with Chrome is due to the inherent design of the Chrome browser. Annoying at worst, troublesome at best, but still endurable.

Flag Post

The game browser should retain it’s sorting choice on changing category, and should be flash based, with a search bar. tsk.

EDIT:

Flag Post

Dragon_of_Ra – You are earning 50%. Look at your percentage in the last few days. What you’re seeing is all-time. You started out at 40% and then bumped to 50%, and over average it’s at 43% right now.

The_Chosen_One – I test on Chrome regularly. What bugfixes are you referring to?

SavageWolf – Good call on retaining sorting choice. I’ll talk to the devs and see if that’s something that we’d like to add. As for Flash-based, that’s a no. We definitely don’t want a huge, bloated Flash sorter. Flash is great for games and ads, but frankly I find it extremely annoying when used for normal web interfaces. And there’s a search bar at the top of the screen for games – what are you talking about? Interesting on your NaN% – it’s almost certainly a divide-by-zero issue. I’ll see if we can get that patched up, thanks for pointing it out.

Flag Post

Hm… so my revenue was calculated by dividing by 0, which, according to some people, is infinity. Gimme.

Flag Post

About game browser: I agree it’s looking much better and that it needed a restyling. The only feature I miss is a view of “Top Rated recent games”. On the old version I achieved this sorting by reverse date the “Top Rated” view, but it’s not possible now. Anyway, thumbs up and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Flag Post

Updates. <3

Flag Post

Is my revenue thing supposed to look different because it doesn’t =(

Flag Post

Thanks for the feedback on the Highly-rated games. I’m now told that we’ll be adding that feature back in! Not sure yet if it’ll be a patch soon or just included in the next release, but one way or another it should be coming back. Thanks for the feedback!

SavageWolf – Not according to anyone with a math degree. It’s undefined, and in fact if we’re talking about some limits (limx→0- 1/x) it could indeed be negative infinity. We’ll send you the bill.

uzzbuzz – Your Kred Revenue should look different. Ad Revenue shouldn’t have changed, except that you only see Gameplays now and no longer have an Ad Impressions column.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

Hm… so my revenue was calculated by dividing by 0, which, according to some people, is infinity. Gimme.

I actually laughed at this.

Flag Post

Do i see it right? Or am i only too stupid?

Where are all the pages with the older games? Am i the only one who realizes that there are only 15 pages in each category?
I love to play old games and there are really some good ones.
Is there no space for them?

Please tell me, i am a little afraid.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draculana:

Where are all the pages with the older games? Am i the only one who realizes that there are only 15 pages in each category?

http://www.kongregate.com/games?sort=oldest?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

No, the limit of anything over 0 is infinity, silly. The actual math works out to be undefined. Sorry, but your SOL :P

Originally posted by rawismojo:

I think this could have only included the ODST ticket fix and still be one of the most popular pushes ever.

Yeah, I honestly only care about this fix, to be shamefully honest. I haven’t used the game browser in, like, forever, man.

Flag Post

cool updates and stuff
me liek

Flag Post

You spelled contest wrong.. =P You should proof read it first, it makes it look professional.

Flag Post

Thanks for the update kongregate peoplez :3

Flag Post

It must have been a cache related error. Anyway, I also get the NAN error, and I have a question. What does the circled number in the top left mean?

EDIT: And note the 0 total plays.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draculana:

The 15 is the # of results being shown, not the number of pages.