Forums Kongregate

New (belated) Kongregate Version (CR 2009.11.2) - New Badge Browser!

42 posts

Flag Post

Ok, so yes, this was a few days ago. Unfortunately, I got the flu and it knocked me out for a couple of days, but I figured late was better than never, so here are the details on the newest Kongregate release.

The obvious change that everyone noticed is certainly the amazing new badge browser. With category selection, filters, and choice of sorts, you can look for all kinds of subsets of the many badges on our page. Plus, we have the awesome new Badge Quests which open up a whole new level of pain for Greg to inflict on us all!

Most of our work was certainly focused on these new features, but we did fix up a few other things while we were at it. Included in this is actually a big win for the game developers: a completely rewritten API documentation courtesy of BenV. No more looking through forum posts to get the information you need – now it’s all in one, convenient spot that is up to date and will be easier for us to make changes to as needed.

Check out all the details in the changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

Flag Post

CR 2009.11.2

Developers:

- Lowered the limit so that only 40 ratings are required to get out of judgment for a game.

- Fixed a bug that was giving the share percentage in a dev’s kred sales report as NaN% if they hadn’t sold any kred items. This will now (correctly) read as 0% (yes, the theoretical share is normally 70%, but since nothing has been earned the most accurate statement is 0%, which is a weighted average of your actual earnings, not theoretical earnings).

- We have completely rewritten the API documentation so that you no longer have to search through long forum posts to try to get the details that you need. Check out our new documentation page to see the results!

Users:

- The big news of course is the awesome new badges browser. We’ve been wanting to redesign this for a while and finally had the opportunity thanks to a sponsorship from Dragon Age: Origins. You can now easily view all of the badges on the site and look at various subsets using the dropdown options. You can select a game genre on the left, then choose a filter such as all “Unearned Badges” or only “Medium Badges”, and then sort by things like date or even which ones have been earned by the fewest number of people!

- Additionally, we’re excited to announce a new type of challenge at Kongregate: the Badge Quest! In these challenges you set out on a journey across numerous games to collect a specific set of badges in order to earn a medal and potentially additional points. We have two badge quests to start off with: a Beginner’s Quest of easy badges and a special Dragon Age: Origins Quest that will provide a little more challenge with some great RPGs on the list, and a limited-edition medal as your bounty. Good luck!

- Fixed a bug that was causing abuse reports to only confirm that it was handled to one of the filers instead of all. That is, if three people reported someone, and we ended up banning them, only one of the three was getting a whisper saying that we acted on it.

- Removed a bug that caused extra whitespace to appear to the right of game pages in Safari (which was often apparent if you use two-finger scrolling and accidentally scrolled a little to the right).

Flag Post

Yup i think the new badge page is epic..

Flag Post

- Lowered the limit so that only 40 ratings are required to get out of judgment for a game.

That’s nice to see :D

Flag Post
- Removed a bug that caused extra whitespace to appear to the right of game pages in Safari (which was often apparent if you use two-finger scrolling and accidentally scrolled a little to the right).

Happened in Google Chrome too, there was also some white space at the bottom on some pages.

Flag Post

My name is still Xestrix, and I am still approving of these changes.

Flag Post

Sharingan123 – I didn’t notice it in Chrome because my gesture controls don’t work in Parallels. Is Chrome fixed too?

Flag Post

Hmm… Your web developers only seem to do anything if you have been sponsored…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Sharingan123 – I didn’t notice it in Chrome because my gesture controls don’t work in Parallels. Is Chrome fixed too?

I am currently on a different computer, since I am upgrading my computer… And on this one I’m using opera. Will check later

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

Hmm… Your web developers only seem to do anything if you have been sponsored…

That’s hardly the case – most of our new features aren’t related to sponsored material. However, we are also a business, and we have to prioritize our projects based on a number of factors, and getting a sponsor certainly increases priority. I’m not really sure what your point is, but really you should be happy that Kongregate has such a strong and active userbase that big companies are taking notice and willing to sponsor these cool events and features. I hardly see how “having a sponsor” reduces the quality of the result, and in many cases I think the sponsor actually improves the result by the inclusion of their brand and backing.

Would you also criticize the game developers for only producing games because portals like Kongregate and ArmorGames sponsor them? They can’t afford to make for free just because they want to, just like we can’t host our servers and provide the service that you are enjoying without bringing in revenue ourselves.

Flag Post

I still have negative money earned.

xD

Flag Post

Is it normal for the badge page to lag because it is saying that I was not awarded a badge that I earned.

Flag Post

I love the new badge page (especially the ability to see my earned badges sorted by least awarded, so I can remember my greatest accomplishments), but there are a few things I’d like to be able to do that can’t be done yet:

1. I’d like to be able to apply filters for both difficulty and earnedness at once. (e.g. an option for “Show mediums that I haven’t earned.”)
  2. I’d like to be able to apply filters while viewing another user’s badge page. (e.g. options for “Show this user’s impossibles.” or “Show badges that this user has earned but I haven’t.”)
  3. I’d like a count of badges that meet the current criteria. (e.g. where it currently says things like “1-20” or “21-40 from the end”, instead have it say “1-20 out of 268” or “229-248 out of 268”) Currently I can only get a count by hitting “next” until I get to the last page.

Flag Post

What is this? :3
http://www.kongregate.com/pages/chat-integration-api
In the future all games could have chats? :O

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Haha no embedding allowed! :P

Flag Post

Embed fail…

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

I think you’re in the wrong topic anyways. Go to one of the Infected Fury Month related topics, if that link is even about that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Babadingldoo:

I think you’re in the wrong topic anyways. Go to one of the Infected Fury Month related topics, if that link is even about that.

I think it’s one of those “POST LINKS OR WE KILL YOUR PET!!!!” type things…

Flag Post

Clearly off-topic and appear to be referral links – I hid them. Anyway…

hokage4354 – It appears that we slightly over-paid you with the kreds, so there’s a slight negative balance. I’m not sure exactly how that happened, but it’s only 12 cents, and it appears to be in your favor. It also is not something that would have been affected by these changes. If you want to investigate it further, use the Development Support option on the Contact Us page.

RedPanda21 – Normal? Yes. Intended? No. It’s a caching bug that we need to fix. :-)

ThirdParty – Glad you like it. In response to your specific suggestions, having dual-filters we debated but ultimately worried that it would confuse the interface too much. You can find most of what you need with the current setup and we felt this was the best power to ease-of-use ratio we could obtain. When looking at another user’s badges, you should be able to sort by difficulty to look at their impossibles. Badges they have but you don’t would be cool but complicated, so I’ll consider that to be an excellent suggestion that hopefully we can get to eventually. :-) As for the number of results, that’s unfortunately something we had to do for the sake of efficiency – we’ve changed a lot of our page-by-page navigation to that style because it is significantly lighter on our database and servers. I’m not sure if we can eventually have a “XX results found” though – that might not be as bad.

Badabingldoo – I don’t know about “all future games”, but we’re experimenting with some new capabilities.

Flag Post

Foul mouthed troll + Ability to make people say what they want = ?

Flag Post

but it’s only 12 cents

How can you take 12 cents for granted ;P
If I got 12 cents on my game in one day I’d be thrilled haha.

Flag Post

Awesome new updates! <3 What happened with that forum timestamp thingy [where the posts randomly changed places and the “Last Post” feature often showed “{mins} from now”]? Was is actually solved?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:
having dual-filters we debated but ultimately worried that it would confuse the interface too much. You can find most of what you need with the current setup and we felt this was the best power to ease-of-use ratio we could obtain.

Okay. You’re right, I can find most of what I want with the current setup. (The main thing I want is to be able to view all unearned easies and mediums, since I’m a completionist about those but not about hards and impossibles. But I can achieve that just by sorting unearned badges by difficulty.)

When looking at another user’s badges, you should be able to sort by difficulty to look at their impossibles.

What if I want to look at their mediums? Am I supposed to sort by difficulty and then page past all their easies (or else sort by difficulty the other direction and then page past all their impossibles and hards)? Wouldn’t making me page past all those badges I’m not interested in put an unnecessary load on your server, since it’ll be sending me icons and descriptions and whatnot that I’m not interested in?

Badges they have but you don’t would be cool but complicated, so I’ll consider that to be an excellent suggestion that hopefully we can get to eventually.

Fair enough.

As for the number of results, that’s unfortunately something we had to do for the sake of efficiency – we’ve changed a lot of our page-by-page navigation to that style because it is significantly lighter on our database and servers. I’m not sure if we can eventually have a “XX results found” though – that might not be as bad.

Again, making me page past all the badges just to find out how many there are seems like it puts an unnecessary load on the server—it will be sending me icons and descriptions and whatnot that I’m not interested in. So if you’re really concerned about server load, you should benefit by adding a “count badges in this category” button so that if all I want is the number, that’s all I get sent.