Forums Kongregate

Let the smithing begin! (New Kong Version: CR 2009.11.19)

62 posts

Flag Post

As many of you have probably noticed, there’s a new social meta game on Kongregate: the Dragon Age Forge. For those of you who’ve had enough zombies for a while and want a more collaborative/trading-based game, the Forge is the game for you. You can choose one type of specialty (Bows, Axes, Swords, or Maces) and you can make three weapons a day to give to other people. Try to collect a full set (5 of each type) to earn 30 points and a limited-edition medal! Plus, you get a point for every weapon you give out, which adds up really quickly, especially if you earn some badges and a custom avatar in

We also had some other bug fixes, including one very popular OCD request we’ve had a for a while…

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.11.20

Developers:

- Added a new avatar crop/replace API, which you can read about here. It is integrated into our AS3 API and allows you to create custom avatars for players to use on Kongregate. We look forward to seeing what you all can come up with using this tool!

- Fixed a formatting bug that was causing numbers to be out of place in IE and Opera for the kred revenue reports.

- The Contests page now lists the top nine games for a month (instead of just five) since we give out nine prizes each month.

- The user’s .json feed now has a count of how many Awards (raffle tickets, medals, etc.) a user has.

- Added a link to the Longest Lasting Game Contest on the main Upload page. If you uploaded a game during the contest period and didn’t put it in the contest and wanted to, please use the Developer Support option on our Contact Us page and we can add it to the contest for you. Good luck everyone – there’s a huge $10,000 prize for the winner!

Users:

- Added the new Dragon Age Forge event. Check it out here to get your collection started and earn a ton of Kongregate points in the process!

- As mentioned above, we have a new avatar-replacement API that developers can use in games. You’ll see the first example of it in Dragon Age: Journeys, where you can use the feature to add one more forged weapon per day. Please note: this is not like the L4D2 promotion where we revert to your old avatar later. Please keep a copy of your old avatar on your computer if you want to switch back later.

- There’s an undocumented Forge feature for users in chat: if you use /inv (or /inventory) in chat it will tell you what you currently have collected and how many weapons you can still give away.

- Increased our room full limits to 150, in addition to creating some new rooms, in order to accommodate the awesome growth we’ve been having recently.

- Multiplayer game chat rooms were renumbered to always use two digits, so Room #1 is now Room #01. This will make finding rooms easier for games with lots of rooms.

- Popular demand for lots of kreds has led us to create a larger package option, so you now can purchase kreds in $5, $20, or $50 sets.

- Fixed a problem with the kreds purchase page that was logging users out in IE7.

- Fixed a bug that was causing some pre-game ads to keep playing the sounds in IE even after the ad closed. Yodeling is great, but there’s a limit I suppose. :)

- OCD Fix of the Year: So, I hesitate to even point this out for fear of it overshadowing the fantastic work done on the Forge event and the other fixes in this release, but we finally got the big one. The one everyone’s been talking about. Which one? I’ll give you a clue: I posted this thread “a few seconds ago”.

Flag Post

Flag Post

No advanced search :(

Flag Post

Advanced search?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Advanced search?

He means a better search… Some were complaining that it is crappy. I like it though.

Flag Post

Darn, everytime I see a new API come out and see it’s AS3-only, it makes me kinda sad.

Flag Post

Yeah, search could use a little work, but I hardly see the point in dissing a release just because we didn’t hit a particular feature this time. Whatever – his glass can be half empty. The rest of us will be making weapons and trading them around. :) New search might come at some point, but I’ll go ahead and flat-out say it’s not in our immediate plans so don’t hold your breath. We have lots of other stuff we’re working on too!

Matoking: hate to break it to you, but it’s probably about time to learn AS3. ;-) It’s much faster and has a lot more features – your games will thank you for it!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Matoking:

Darn, everytime I see a new API come out and see it’s AS3-only, it makes kinda sad.

Aww, Pity

Flag Post
Originally posted by Matoking:

Darn, everytime I see a new API come out and see it’s AS3-only, it makes kinda sad.

This sentence is confusing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Yeah, it could use a little work, but I hardly see the point in dissing a release just because we didn’t hit a particular feature this time. Whatever – his glass can be half empty. The rest of us will be making weapons and trading them around. :)

I wasn’t “dissing” the release, just expressing my disapointment the search still hasn’t been updated.

Flag Post

Which one? I’ll give you a clue: I posted this thread “a few seconds ago”.

<3

Flag Post

Fair enough, though that’s more of a Suggestions thread type of thing. We could create a very long list of things we didn’t do, but I tend to find making a list of things we did do to be a bit more efficient. :) Anyway, improved search isn’t anywhere in the immediate future – sorry. The game suggester/autocomplete was intended to help with search a lot, which it has done quite well. Perhaps we’ll get to it later, but we have lots of grand plans we want to hit first.

Flag Post

What about us users who use Linux?
We can’t play that flash game…

Flag Post

Awesome news. Thanks for all the info, Phoenix. Just I’m glad I take a break after the long battle against the zombies in L4D2’s Infected Fury Month. Now it’s time to do something really different and make everything a different story. :)

Flag Post

Awesome, love the event. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

No problems with Ubuntu (Jaunty) here.

Flag Post

SavageWolf – I just asked Ventero to check it out in Linux and it worked for him. What’s happening when you try it? It should work fine.

Bah – ninja’d!!!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ventero:
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

No problems with Ubuntu (Jaunty) here.

Upgrade to Kamic…

Anyway, does sacred seasons work, because here it doesn’t?

Flag Post

Sacred Seasons I believe does have a problem with Linux, but Dragon Age: Journeys should be fine.

Flag Post

Why should I upgrade to a really bad release I don’t want to use at all? But that’s OT :P

No, Sacred Seasons doesn’t work, but I talked to SnailGame 2 weeks ago, reported the bug and suggested a fix. So that problem should be (hopefully) fixed in the next few days.

Flag Post

I posted this thread “a few seconds ago”.

This is almost as good as the dragon age promo. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the updates! This new promo is a lot of fun, and I’m looking forward to getting medal.

Flag Post

Contests link links to feedback page.

Flag Post

Thanks, fixed. :)

Flag Post

Which one? I’ll give you a clue: I posted this thread “a few seconds ago”.

YES YES OH GOD YES