Forums Kongregate

Full screen flash?

121 posts

Flag Post

Could you, as in the kongregate powers that be, possibly enable flash full screen?

Although it does tend to go slow and only allows mouse input it is nice to see games full screen occasionally. There seems to have been some effort put into stopping it being abused, so it is reasonably safe. The newer flash plugin has some more options that can help to keep speed up so it should get even better shortly.

“allowFullScreen” just needs to be set to “true” on flash embeds

A game that would work full screen if you let it and clicked the full screen button :)

http://kongregate.com/games/XIXs/wetdiamonds

Flag Post

You only have mouse input on full-screen games? That’s kinda…odd…

I can see both sides of this – yes, it would be nice to play some full screen, but at the same time that would remove the chat, which is a pretty integral part of Kongregate. Plus, there might be some issues guaranteeing that advertising is viewed if people are watching full screen. Though I ought to just let an official Kong employee answer…

Flag Post

Full screen may be nice in some cases but it would cause some headaches, particularly performance issues. If at all possible, flash games should always be played at 100% of their size (mostly if they have any bitmap content). Scaling up the games will cause them to slow down, as well as likely distort the rendering. This is equal to defacement of artistic property in the eyes of some developers, since you can turn their nice looking game into something that looks terrible by playing it in a manner it was not designed to be played. Out of respect for developers and a desire not to introduce more complications, full screen should likely be avoided except possibly in a few specific cases.

Flag Post

I deleted it. Games are not meant to be displayed that way and it is too likely to cause problems. Its not a supported feature so the last thing we need is people thinking they should do something like that. Please don’t encourage others to try it.

Flag Post

I still don’t get why not, but OK

Because you’re not experienced enough with the technology and the issues, or the business of running such technology. You just like to hack things together :)

When you get more familiar over the years, you may come to understand how each choice must be evaluated and content must be controled.

Flag Post

To M.A.: And run your game in fullscreen by using your way means disable all Kongregate API.

Flag Post

Now tell me that me=PI-.14159265359+1334

I can’t stop laughing at this.

Flag Post

LEET!

*I think there is the need of an elipsis since you know that thing about that decimal pi has.

Flag Post

I love flash games, but forcing them into a tiny fixed-pixel-size window seems obscene to me. I mean the whole thing about Flash is its supposed to be vector-based so it can scale to your screensize, but flash game portals like kongregate break that. I have a widescreen LCD, the 700 pixel width on Kongregate is so tiny that I have to seriously squint.

I really don’t understand why so many websites force their sites to fit in a fixed pixel width. That was considered bad web design back when I made websites, whyever did it get popular? I have a widescreen, why can’t I use it?

Flag Post

I mean the whole thing about Flash is its supposed to be vector-based so it can scale to your screensize

Because no-one ever uses bitmaps in their Flash games, right?

I really don’t understand why so many websites force their sites to fit in a fixed pixel width.

When the alternative is “looks like shit”, I think you can see the reason.

You’re welcome to decrease the screen resolution to make things appear larger.

Flag Post

I thought there was something you could type into the URL of a game page to make this happen.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Traud:

I thought there was something you could type into the URL of a game page to make this happen.

That just strips out everything but the .swf file, so no chat, or active page, or any of that.

The game isn’t resized.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chibiabos:

I love flash games, but forcing them into a tiny fixed-pixel-size window seems obscene to me. I mean the whole thing about Flash is its supposed to be vector-based so it can scale to your screensize, but flash game portals like kongregate break that. I have a widescreen LCD, the 700 pixel width on Kongregate is so tiny that I have to seriously squint.

I really don’t understand why so many websites force their sites to fit in a fixed pixel width. That was considered bad web design back when I made websites, whyever did it get popular? I have a widescreen, why can’t I use it?

Flash does not use just vector formats. In fact, the best games often use a lot of bitmaps. Kongregate does not “break” anything in regard to Flash. Developers design the games to be played at a specific resolution most of the time, allowing resolution change would actually be “breaking” it in many cases; unless the game was designed to support the change.

And no, the ‘whole thing about Flash’ is not to scale to your screen. You sound like you were involved in this a very long time ago when Flash first came up and the buzz was about ‘vector scalability’. While it is one of it’s features, that’s somewhat archaic thinking as far as Flash’s purpose and design of it’s content goes.

Flash now supports hardware scaling, but with only limited keyboard input, which causes problems for most games. We’ve push for better support and got a little more, but Adobe is still holding back for security reasons.

Flag Post

Ctrl+scroll mousey thing= BIGGER TRANSFORMER. i mean bigger game

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

When the alternative is “looks like shit”, I think you can see the reason.

You’re welcome to decrease the screen resolution to make things appear larger.

Its not the alternative that looks like shit.

arcane – So Flash is technologically backward from its earlier versions?

Flag Post

The problem is that all of the game’s art would be enlarged. This would distort the game, making it blurry.

It’s like playing a Wii on a 42" screen. I only play it on 30" screens or smaller.

Flag Post

i think that the kongregate officials should let there be on option for full screen

Flag Post

I say, start with YouKongregate for full screen option, otherwise, i don’t car
e.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gbaguy1:

I say, start with YouKongregate for full screen option, otherwise, i don’t car
e.

So, otherwise you don’t car
e?

Flag Post

Kong Definitely Needs A Fullscreen Option

Flag Post

I have a widescreen LCD, the 700 pixel width on Kongregate is so tiny that I have to seriously squint.

I have a widescreen LCD monitor too and I don’t have to squint maybe you need your eyes checked?
Also, as Noodlez said, if you press Control + Mouse Wheel Up = Zoom

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kador11:

… if you press Control + Mouse Wheel Up = Zoom

I think that’s a good idea.
I’d like an option to either get rid of the frame or have a big (window size) frame.
Some games are not centred …
even if you try reloading the page (or it isn’t the right proportion).
Because of that some become completely un-playable.

And some games don’t zoom.
Not only Shockwave games but also Flash, but then I expect it only gets bigger (maxed full screen) without a frame… or doesn’t change all.

Flag Post

Scaling Flash games = bad.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

I thought the whole point of vector graphics was that you could scale them? If your game doesn’t work well when scaled you’ve probably programmed it badly, probably using AS2 or something.

Flag Post
Originally posted by aldrinsmoulder:
Originally posted by SavageWolf:

I thought the whole point of vector graphics was that you could scale them? If your game doesn’t work well when scaled you’ve probably programmed it badly, probably using AS2 or something.

No, its just an efficient factor. Scaling = very CPU intensive. Its better to keep the draw area of flash down to a minimum.

Oh(for the side note), and games made with Flixel cannot be scaled by zooming in with a browser.