Forums Kongregate

Full screen flash? page 4

119 posts

Flag Post

Robot Wants Puppy won’t work because its built with the engine Flixel, which if you look into, you will probably find that all games made with that engine don’t scale at all.

Flag Post

Firefox addon – Flash Game Maximizer

Only problem is that you can’t get achievements (I think).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9631/

Flag Post

I took Robot Wants Puppy as an example of something that works with SwiffOut that doesn’t work with any other maximizer. It will work with other Flixel games I suppose too and it won’t lag either because the screen resolution is adjusted, there is no extra pixels.

Flag Post

Anybody think that ecradec is the creator?

And if it’s an addon, why does it need it’s own setup file, thus removing Mac and Linux support??

Flag Post

So it installs with all browsers and he can sell it for money, I presume.

It does indeed work fine, it does however remove chat, which is crucial for some games (and all badges) on this site.

Flag Post

Flash Games at fullscreen usually will slow down dramatically and often will look bad. The games have been designed to run at the size they are on kongregate and artwork has been made for the game to be at that size. I always find it annoying when other portals resize my games.

Its all very well saying the users should have the choice, but I thnk then you are over estimating a lot of users’ knowledge about such things. Users will make a game full size and then whine when it doesnt run smoothly, just as they complain about things like their multiplayer game lagging when they are using a 56k modem. From a devs point of view it seems like users have zero tolerance for and imperfections even if the techical achievement is good.

I had someone in the past download the swf of starfighter, run it locally in fullscreen mode, then submitted a bug report telling me that it ran slowly.

Flash games (for the time being) run in small windows in browsers, if you want full screen then you will have to buy a full game.

Flag Post

@SavageWolf SwiffOut is an addon combined with a separate executable that can play games from any browser : That’s why it requires a setup. IE addons are C++ too anyway and Chrome extension are not capable of switching resolution. So I use a trick to tranfert it to a separate executable.

You’re right, I’m the developer. I’m not trying to cheat you with a program that doesn’t work. I think it is great, and at a time you have to tell others people about it if you want them to use it and eventually pay for it (but I’ll offer free licences if you have a blog and would like to blog about it, or if you have another good reason – if you are a Flash game developer, I can give you one too – that’s fair, I play your games for free ;), just tell me what game it is ) . I’ll add a sections about alternatives on the site, the site is very new and my project is out since less than a month.

@djstatika : I designed SwiffOut for playing fullscreen fast. I have a not very new PC, and playing fullscreen with FGM didn’t work. In a way, I cheat : SwiffOut didn’t maximize the games but it makes the pixels bigger.

Flag Post

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9631/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13677/

No need to pay, download/“acquire” a new OS or run a specific program.

Flag Post

Thanks kioyoh for trying at least

Flag Post

@djstatika : I designed SwiffOut for playing fullscreen fast. I have a not very new PC, and playing fullscreen with FGM didn’t work. In a way, I cheat : SwiffOut didn’t maximize the games but it makes the pixels bigger.

I like the idea, but when I tried it it the game still appeared at their same size, but in the middle of the screen surrounded by black.

Flag Post

@djstatika : do you have that problem with all games ? If not which game didn’t work ? In the other case it could come from your monitor or graphic card, if SwiffOut can’t find a low enough resolution for the game. I’ve a future version that will allow to select the resolution to play, it will allow to check that. Can you mail me if you want to try it : contact at grownsoftware.com ?

Flag Post

In the other case it could come from your monitor or graphic card

How would the monitor affect it, and flash doesn’t use the graphics card…

Flag Post

Hmm… When I install the swiffout thing in wine, on clicking the button this pops up:

Clicking OK does nothing…

Flag Post

I got this error when I tried to install it.
Output folder: C:\Program Files\swiffout
Can’t write: C:\Program Files\swiffout\swiffoutrunner.exe

Flag Post

@Vegard can you try running it as an administrator. I think the setup is missing this.

@SavageWolf monitor might affect it if it doesn’t support low resolution. On my lcd screen some resolutions are not completly fullscreen, though not that small. Did you install swiffout in wine in linux ? I don’t know if it works.

Thanks, for useful feedback I’ll look at those this evening.

Flag Post

Did you install swiffout in wine in linux ? I don’t know if it works.

Yes, no

Flag Post

It’s just a black screen…

Flag Post

I tried 2 games and neither worked one was rings and one was async racing. My monitor goes down to 800×600 which is bigger than those games. A version where you can pick would be cool. I will email you.

Flag Post

You are right rings and async racing doesn’t work. The failing part seems to be the detection of the flashvars. I should be able to fix it soon. I’ll add the selection of the flash if necessary.

@SavageWolf : could you type

start "" swiffout:swiffout_href=

in the cmd.exe equivalent in wine and see if something happens

@vegards, @djstatika can you try berzerks to see if it works correctly. I tried it and this one should work. I’ll contact you when I’ll be done with the resolution, but the screen keep staying black the issue is probably the detection.

Thank you all for the useful feedbacks

Flag Post

Running $ wine start "" swiffout:swiffout_href= which is probably wrong gives:

err:service:validate_service_config Service L"Maiseebsb" is Win32 but has no image path set
err:service:scmdatabase_load_services Invalid configuration of service L"Maiseebsb" - skipping
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Invalid parameter

I don’t really WANT it to work though…

Flag Post

Pressing escape while in a game exits the window out. Any way to make it so you need an unusual or customizable key combination to have to exit out of the window?

Flag Post

Thanks for going that far anyway savagewolf. I think I have enough infos.

On the latest version of swiffout, you can right click the game area and uncheck “esc exit the game” option.

Flag Post

Rings and async racing should now work with SwiffOut, so should many more games. DJStatika, I didn’t forgot you, the resolution selection is on its way but you should try this version anyway.

If you find others games that don’t work I’ll be happy to have a look and fix them if possible. You can get the new version here as usual.

Flag Post

I tried the new version and those games still didnt work for me, nor did homerun in beserkland im afraid

Flag Post

What browser did you use @djstatika ? May be I didn’t test it enough on that browser ?