Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Backup Utility

51 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone I recently encountered a situation where I needed to back up a friend’s Kongregate save files so we could re-format his computer. I found that having to go through to hidden folders may be annoying/overwhelming for an average user so. A few hours later, I had applied my love for Ruby and created this application.

Current Version: 1.2
Updated: October 23rd 2010

Here are some screen shots of the utility here:

You can download my utility here:
http://oasis.vandalsolutions.net/KongBackupUtility_V1.2.zip

Older Command-Line Version (V1.1.1):
http://oasis.vandalsolutions.net/KongregateBackupUtility.zip

Instructions:
1. Extract the Backup Utility Zip to any Folder
2. Run KongBackupUtility.exe (*)

• Non-windows users will need to use my ruby src file provided, as I don’t have a packaged binary. If there is enough interest I will look into providing one.

V1.2 Notes:

Major revision of code, it now has a much more user friendly graphical interface instead, and more specific backup creation times. Due to the use of wxRuby the file size for the utility has increased quite a bit (1 MB to 7 MB).

Tested on: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Ruby version: ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18) [i386-mingw32]
Gems: wxruby-ruby19, rubyzip, ocra (for compiling)

V1.1.1 Hotfix Notes:

Just a minor bug fix, and the inclusion of the ruby2exe script with the src kongregate.rb. You can make your own exe/bin using: ruby rubyscript2exe.rb kongregate.rb

V1.1 Notes:

Linux support has been properly added, and tested successfully. Refer to the previous V1.0 notes from the older version on how to run it using ruby. I’ve also included a compiled binary version of it for Linux that can be found in the bin folder.

Support for the older Kongregate directory has been added as well.

V1.0 Notes:

Included is the ruby source file, in order to run it you will need ruby installed
on your machine, you will also need the ‘rubyzip’ gem installed. Afterwards you
can then run it by using: ruby kongregate.rb

I have only tested this on Windows but there is functionality to support Linux
distros and Mac. The Windows Executable was packaged using rubyscript2exe.

The utility is very straight-forward, you need to make a backup before you can restore one, and the backup is stored in the same directory as the utility. Feel free to store the backup zip on a flash drive or somewhere else you consider safe.

When you want to restore a backup make sure you store the zip archive in the
same folder as the utility so it can find the backup.

If you combine this application with Dropbox you can easily sync your Kongregate flash save files over multiple computers with ease, and other files. Check it out regardless.

You can download Dropbox here: http://www.dropbox.com

In the future I may consider upgrading the utility to use a graphical interface
but for now the console interface will suffice.

If you encounter any bugs with the program please let me know by posting in this thread or sending me a message.

I’d also appreciate it if any non-Windows people could test the application.

Enjoy! – isVANDAL

Flag Post

I approve!

Flag Post

Totally and completely approved!!!!

Flag Post

Awesome! It’s really use to use and I totally prefer this over the manual method.

Flag Post

Nice! While I haven’t checked it out and can’t vouch for it, it seems like a great idea, and the use of Ruby gets approval from the Kong programmers. :) Granted, people should of course be careful downloading .exe’s from random people online, but if this works it sounds very cool.

Flag Post

It works, tried it.

Flag Post

In its current form, the tool doesn’t run on Linux. To make it work, you’ll have to patch it with this diff (the patched version should also still work on Windows).

Flag Post

Ooh, this looks neat, thanks!

One minor suggestion: while nearly all game saves are in chat.kongregate.com, some games (mostly older ones, it seems) save to kongregate.com instead, so you might want to back up that folder also.

Flag Post

Glad I could make a tedious task much easier :)

Unforunately I couldn’t download that diff Ventero but I decided to setup an Ubuntu VM, and have fixed the issue.

I also added support for the older save files, and updated the original post accordingly. Older backups are still compatible so replacing your backup utility with the new one will work fine.

Flag Post

I still need an additional

require 'date'

to make the script run here. Also the check for letters.nil? in line 66 is pretty useless, should probably be

letters == ""

instead ;)

Flag Post

Yeah I changed the way I had found the random letters directory, but didn’t change the check, so good eye :P

Added the additional require, recompiled the exe and bin for Windows and Linux respectively, as well as included the ruby2exe script I used.

Hopefully we can see this added to the Tools section :3

Flag Post

Many tanks!!!

Flag Post

19 years old write this?

You’re genius!

Flag Post

@accordingleaf Was that really necessary? You could have sent him a SHout/Whisper/PM instead of bumping a 2 month old topic.

Flag Post

Was it necessary to flame him? It doesn’t matter if good topics like this are bumped.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kioyoh:

Was it necessary to flame him? It doesn’t matter if good topics like this are bumped.

I wasn’t flaming him, I was just pointing out his post wasn’t really necessary… But yeah, you have a point about the “good topics” part. I think there should be a “Kongregate Applications/Utilities” sticky, as there are at least 6 big Greasemonkey scripts, and quite a lot of seperate programs for Kongregate.

Flag Post

You mean this? It lacks updates though, since aC has been gone for a while.

And while his bump wasn’t necessary, it wasn’t truly useless either, so responding like that WAS completely unnecessary.

Flag Post

thanks for this great tools, i just want to ask though, is it actually possible to have the safe file IN a removable media in the first place? so that whenever i change computer i just simply put the media.. say a thumb drive and have the save file loaded / updated there?

thanks

Flag Post
Originally posted by mentega:

thanks for this great tools, i just want to ask though, is it actually possible to have the safe file IN a removable media in the first place? so that whenever i change computer i just simply put the media.. say a thumb drive and have the save file loaded / updated there?

thanks

The Flash player chooses the location.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ptdgames:

Just bumping this topic because it apparently pisses people off…

It’s not a bump if it’s only been 2 hours.

Flag Post

4-minute bump
lol u mad?

Flag Post

Updated to V1.2, has a GUI now. :)

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Flag Post
Originally posted by accordingleaf:

Many tanks!!!

What do tanks have to do with this?

Flag Post

Actually, I really like this and appreciate it =D i could have used it after my last computer burned out. Instead I had to do it by hand.

Flag Post

It’s…. wonderful