[Guide] ROtMG FAQ: Newbies Please read!

174 posts

Flag Post

All right, I don’t usually post on forums but I see the same questions in chat over and over, so I figured that a guide on Kong might be a bit easier to point to. I don’t usually do this, so here goes…

To start off, yes, this game has permadeath. When you die, you lose everything. This includes all experience on your character, all items that character was holding and wearing, and all vanity dyes or cloths you may have used. You do NOT lose items in your vault, your fame, or your coins.

Now, here are the questions, in no particular order…

BASIC:

Q: Why am I a wizard?
A: Because that’s the class everyone starts with.

Q: Is this game fun?
A: No, it is a boring game. That’s why there are so many people playing it.

Q: How do I change my name?
A: The yellow statue to the left of where you spawn in the nexus will allow you to change your name, BUT ONLY ONCE! After that, it will cost 500 realm gold (5$ USD) to change.

Q: Where is my vault?
A: The yellow portals down from where you spawn in the nexus allow you to access your vault. You start with only one chest unlocked, containing 8 slots, but you can purchase more with realm gold, at 500 each.

Q: How do I get coins?/How do I sell stuff?
A: You get coins by paying Kreds. Coins are not necessary for anything in the game, all you can buy are extra vault slots, extra character slots, dungeon keys (that you can access in game) and convenience stacked potions, and vanity items.

Q: What is the nexus?/How do I get to the nexus? IMPORTANT
A: There is a button on the right hand side of the screen that will teleport you to the nexus when clicked. There is also a hotkey, default is f5. It is recommended that you change it to something easily reachable, like r, f, g, or ctrl. Press it in case of emergencies, it teleports you instantly and will make your life last much longer. The nexus is a hub with gates to the realms of the world, where the game itself is played. It also has items which can be bought for fame or realm gold.

Q: How do I leave the Nexus?
A: There are caves to the north of where you teleport in. Each of those caves is a different realm, with a different random map. Realms will open and close as the total number of players on a server fluctuates. Realms will also be closed off if Oryx is angered and summons players to fight him.

Q: What is a class quest?/How do I do class quests?/Where do I get class quests?
A: Class quests are a measure of your skill as an ROtMG player. Each rank completed awards you a star and change the color of the star next to your name as you chat. First it will go deep blue, then orange, then deep red. Each class has five class quests, to achieve 20/150/400/800/2000 BASE fame with each class.

Q: What do I do?
A: Kill things, collect their loot, then become powerful enough to slay Oryx in his lair. There’s really not much more to the game than that.

INVENTORY:

Q: What do drake eggs do?
A: Very little. Purple ones deal damage (~105/s), white ones heal you (50/s), other ones inflict various status effects at various rates. They last for 30 seconds, or 60 in the case of white drakes.

Q: How do I get people to buy my items?
A: You don’t. Very few are willing to trade, because inventory space is limited they don’t bother picking things up they can’t use, especially easily farmed items (items that drop from non-boss mobs). Once you find something T9 or higher, though, you may be in business…

Q: What does T9 mean?
A: Refer to here: http://forums.wildshadow.com/wiki/realm-mad-god/equipment
That will tell you what drops each tier and what each tier is. The actual drop rates are inaccurate, however.

Q: What is <insert> worth?
A: Probably nothing. The actual price changes according to who’s buying. The generally accepted currently in ROtMG is stat potions, with def being worth the most, atk/dex/wis/vit in the middle and approximately equal (sometimes), and speed being the least.

Q: What is a stat potion?/Where do I get stat potions?
A: Stat potions are potions that permanently increase one of your stats by one. Refer to here for locations: http://forums.wildshadow.com/wiki/realm-mad-god/stat-increase-potions
Note that the drop rates may still be inaccurate.

Q: What does Pirate Rum/Magic Mushroom do?
A: Nothing useful. Use them and find out~

Q: Why are some bags purple? IMPORTANT
A: All bags that are not brown can only be seen by you. They cannot be looted by someone else, so don’t rush. If you want to donate the item to someone you’re traveling with, you must pick it up and drag it to the map, where it will be dropped in a brown bag.

GAMEPLAY:

Q: How do I teleport?
A: There are three ways. The first, and the one you will likely use the most, is to click on a green dot on the minimap, and you can teleport to that player. The up arrow will zoom out, the down will zoom in. Keyboard shortcuts are also available, – to zoom out, = to zoom in. Rebind these to your preferences. The second method of teleportation is to type “/teleport <playername>” which will teleport you to that player. The third way is to click on a player in the bottom right corner of your screen, which will provide options, one of which is teleport.

Q: What is locking?/How do I lock?
A: Clicking on a player in the bottom right hand corner of the screen will enable you to lock them. This brightens their name in that panel and will make them always appear there if they are on the same map as you, whether they are closeby or not.

Q: Why is the map slanted?
A: The game defaults to a 45 degree angle orientation, locked. You can change the default orientation, and also unlock the camera so that q and e (by default) will rotate the camera.

Q: How do I see farther?
A: You can set the camera to be off-center in the options menu. This puts your character near the bottom of the screen, and allows you to see further ahead, while sacrificing viewing distance from behind. It is very useful, but dangerous. Keep an eye on your minimap and rotate your camera constantly.

Q: How do I gain fame?
A: As you play, your character accumulates fame. Virtually everything you do will increase your fame total in some way or other, so just continue on killing bosses and gods and completing dungeons and exploring the map and your fame will increase.

Q: Who is Oryx?
A: He is the lord of all of the realms you are in. You are invading his lands and slaying his people/minions until he gets angry enough to come out and summon you to his lair for him to kill you. Or so he’d like. In game terms, when you kill all of the bosses of an area, he will close the realm so that no one else can join. Two minutes later, he will destroy the realm with a massive earthquake and then summon everyone left on it into his lair for a boss fight. If you’re not prepared for this, press your nexus hotkey to leave. Slaying Oryx drops a locked door, which can only be opened with a very rare drop from (harder) dungeon bosses, called a wine cellar incantation, which leads to the hardest dungeon in the game, the Wine Cellar. Look at the wiki for more information.

Q: The wiki talks about all these bosses but I never see them, what gives?
A: They have likely all been slain already. All bosses except for the newbie bosses do not respawn unless the realm is created anew. Realms usually last awhile, because skull shrines/cube gods/pentaracts are quite difficult to kill and require coordination that is often not present in groups that assault them.

Q: I’m level 20, what now?
A: Kill more gods, get better loot, become more famous, and attempt to max out your stats. Each stat has a potion that will permanently increase it by one, most are dropped by gods, but a few require difficult dungeons to be completed for a chance at one. Refer to the wiki for more details. I reiterate once again that drop %s are inaccurate.

Edit: Found the formatting guide, attempted crude formatting to enhance readability.

Flag Post

Silly me couldn’t find the edit button. If it gets to be too much, I’ll separate it into this post. In the mean time, if you find this too wall-of-texty, go look at this guide.

Flag Post

Thank you. :3 <3

Flag Post

Just saying, you can use the edit button. And maybe you could put bold for question so it’s a bit easier on the eyes. Other then that, good job.

Flag Post

Oh, there it is. I was looking for a red underlined “edit post” because, you know, everything else is…

Flag Post

A moderator should sticky this. Thanks lots Talonj.

Flag Post

You might add that teleporting takes approximately 1.5s to register, so don’t completely rely on it.
Edit: Also, people could refer to this (unofficial) guide for values. Anything under T8 is worth nothing, generally; Staff of Horrors and Gbow are the two T8’s weapons worth a decent amount now depending who you’re trading with.
http://forums.wildshadow.com/node/7199

Flag Post

That is an outdated guide, iamevilman. Please remove it so the newblets don’t get confused :P

Flag Post

hes trying to mislead us since he is anevilman

Flag Post

about the purple bag thing u say others cannot see but when i asked them they can see and know whats inside it(i tested them)

Flag Post

You either dropped the item back on the ground, putting it in a brown bag, or are lying. That’s the truth, there’s no disputing it. It’s in the changelog on the official site, ffs.

Flag Post

Sorry to necro this (even though its stickied) and sorry if I missed the answer of my question in the FAQ above but, how do I equip robes and rings? If someone would answer that would be helpful.

Flag Post

but in a place like godlands handy newbies can reach it maybe but if 1 will come there it will be his dead self lvl 20 farmers with the best stuff die somthimes in there so newbies dont go to the wite grounds first get good and ecpierenced and good stuff

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ropeline:

Sorry to necro this (even though its stickied) and sorry if I missed the answer of my question in the FAQ above but, how do I equip robes and rings? If someone would answer that would be helpful.

You drag them into the slot. If you’re still confused, I think the tutorial covers that. Type in /tutorial

Flag Post

Read the wikipedia and type like neoalpha said /tutorial Or /help (wikipedia is answer on ANYTHINGG!!!!!!!!)

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeoAlpha:
Originally posted by Ropeline:

You drag them into the slot. If you’re still confused, I think the tutorial covers that. Type in /tutorial

Thank you for telling me.

Flag Post

how do i join guilds

Flag Post
Originally posted by xXgamermanx:

how do i join guilds

You have to be invited into a guild. Just look for the people asking if anyone wants to join their guild or you can make your own.

Flag Post

when i open this game just an error page appears in place of the game. anyone else have this happening to them?

Flag Post

Thanks! This was really helpful :)

Flag Post

I love the sarcasm in the questions XD

Flag Post

Outdated. This post needs an edit. I’ll correct a few of the outdated info.
Stat potions: Life is now the most valuable potion, worth 4-6 def, price varying on the buyer and seller.
Life > Vit > Def > Wis > Atk > Dex > Spd

RATIOS

life:def is 1:5
vit:def is 2:3
wis:def is 2:1
att:def is 3:1
dex:def is 4:1
spd:def is 5:1

Purple/light blue/white/dark blue dropped bags are ones only you can see, so do not rush to get them.
DUNGEONS easiest-hardest:

Tutorial
Pirate Cave
Spider Den
Snake Pit Drops: Speed, Bulwark.
Sprite World Drops: Dex, Planewalker, Extreme Prejudice
Undead Lair Drops: Wis, doom bow.
Abyss of Demons Vit, demon blade.
Oryx’s Chamber Drops: Loads of good shit. (easier than the others technically since there are always loads of people, but wiki is looking at it from a solo point)
Oryx’s Wine Cellar Drops: Best items in the game.
Tomb of the Ancients Drops: Life, untiered tome, best rings in the game apart from ammy of rezz (WARNING. DO NOT GO IN HERE WITHOUT LIKE 40 PEOPLE UNLESS YOU ARE MAXED 4/7 OR HIGHER. AT THE END ARE 3 BOSSES WITH LIKE 90,000k hp each and hit a fucktonload, and one of them has 110,000hp and heals 100hp every 3(?) seconds. Do NOT fuck with this dungeon. Even the minions can kill a maxed knight in seconds.

Flag Post

Life is now usually almost always 6 unless the seller is just trying to get rid of them quick.

Flag Post

Im just asking cause im a newbie to pets like the black wolf (my pet). but other than drakes. what do pets do?

Flag Post
Originally posted by player77377:

Im just asking cause im a newbie to pets like the black wolf (my pet). but other than drakes. what do pets do?

nothing pets are for show