Heartbreaker not triggering

18 posts

Flag Post

I’ve been doing a lot of brawls against The Master lately, and noticed Heartbreaker is only triggering sporadically. On one particular turn he played 3 NPCs in a row, and it only triggered for the 3rd one. It’s happened in zone fights too. In zone 7 the Werewolf NPC won’t trigger it, and in zone 4 a few of the NPCs aren’t triggering them (I don’t remember specifically, it was the nodes in the middle square).

Flag Post

YOu are aware in brawls he has to play the NPC against you?

Flag Post

I was not, since it doesn’t say that on the card. That might account for part of it then.

Flag Post

This is totally a bug to me. It SHOULD say so on the card

Flag Post

technically it does, read the card “When an opponent plays an NPC..” it doesnt say when an NPC’s effect activates or when an NPC is depleted

Flag Post

The rules on cards need to be reworded to make them more clear and consistent in general, but this is one of the more obvious rules. If you are high enough level to be fighting the master, I would think you would have noticed it before now.

Flag Post

I had not, even against ES. I assumed there was a bug (and reported as such) when I had a HB in hand and it didnt trigger on ES NPC. Did not think the NPC had to be specifically played against me.

Flag Post

why would a tactic in your hand activate to protect someone else? all cards that affect your teammates say so on the cards themselves.

Flag Post

The wording of the card suggests that it affects your opponent “If an opponent plays an NPC, negate that attack. Banish that NPC” If your opponent plays an NPC targeting one of your allies it seems that they have played the card and thus that heartbreaker (under this wording) should trigger, since this does not occur the wording of heartbreaker is misleading.
On the subject of potential bugs involving heartbreaker: Is there any reason that a triggered heartbreaker should stop sympathetic slaughter dealing damage on the next attack played against me or was that a bug?

Flag Post

It’s the same as if you play SS then a Spirit Ward. Heartbreak makes the attack deal 0 dmg, which makes SS hit for 2×0 back. Working as intended as far as I know.

Flag Post

SS uses the phrase “would deal damage to you” (as opposed to next attack). An attack dealing zero damage shouldn’t drop the buff.

Flag Post
Originally posted by KalevraFallstar:

why would a tactic in your hand activate to protect someone else? all cards that affect your teammates say so on the cards themselves.

I think the question should be: why shouldn’t a tactic in your hand activate to protect someone else? There’s no reason from the card to suspect that the tactic can only be used to protect oneself.

Flag Post

I think it’s tricky wording again on SS. Since the attack “would do damage” but you negate it through whatever means, it still triggers. As opposed to an attack that is so low it would not deal damage to you.

Flag Post

TBH I think you’re seeing tricks in the wording of cards when they’re not there but you never know.

Flag Post

I’m jsut trying to think like the designers :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by chenhsi:
Originally posted by KalevraFallstar:

I think the question should be: why shouldn’t a tactic in your hand activate to protect someone else? There’s no reason from the card to suspect that the tactic can only be used to protect oneself.

I agree, anyone who already played “Magic the Gathering” (and that’s a pretty famous card game) – specially in the multyplayer formats – understood that “tactic” effect is like a triggered ability that resolves “whenever a player do something” or “when a opponent play that card type”.

The tactic text is clear when you are playing 1×1 but it’s not that obvious that you need to be targeted in a brawl game (actually, i don’t knew that since i saw this topic …)

Flag Post

this should be resolved with todays build

Flag Post

Ah, very nice. Makes it much easier to understand the effect, and prevent future threads of this :) Ty guys for the constant improvements.