Question on CotD - $$

10 posts

Flag Post

Probably asked before, but i didnt really find the answers i was looking for. Anyway:

Q: Can you play this game without spending a single cent and still get legendary cards?

Q: …..If one really needs to spend on this game, how much are exactly supposed to commit to get ‘good’ at the game?

By good i mean at least being able to stand toe to toe with the top 200 or something players. I love this game, but when i saw the Advanced packs….A little part of me died. D:

Flag Post

1) Yes. If you save your idols long enough/grind 10k at the next mega-brawl, you should get enough draft packs to go to 15 games (problem is, if you don’t draft often, how will you get good at it? Unless you’ve drafted in MtG or some such before). You should be able to land a legendary sometime then.

2) I mainly spend on drafting. Love the format. Maybe $30 every other week since I’ve started, it’s really the best regular chance for epic/legendary cards. I do fairly well at it, above average, I’d like to say, so I usually go for a while. At level 155, I have a collection of epics/legendaries well beyond a good number of people this level.

But to stand toe-to-toe with the top 200? A lot of the good cards you’ll need to invest time playing/grinding for… for DC there are some exceptionally OP cards that simply can’t be helped. Well, I’m not a top 200 player, so I’m probably not the best person to answer this question. Try the Clash forums, many of the best players spend time there.

Flag Post

Oh yeah, top 200 players are going to be people in the level 500+. You ARE talking about PvP, right? Which in itself isn’t really a game-defining format, none of them are - Clash is just that flexible.

So yeah, level 500+. It’ll take you well over a year to get there (unless you buy tons of energy refills).

Flag Post

I play completely free and I have a decent sized collection of legendaries, many being pack-only.

Yeah, you pretty much need to just do a whole crap-ton of quests for some of the better cards (Dido, anyone?). A good idea is to do a bunch of drafts on a good SNC day after Mega Brawl. Megabrawls give you a ton of draft packs, so you can use them to go for 10/15 drafts for SNC (at least after 2). Basically you need to be good at drafts to get good cards because it’s the best and cheapest way to get good cards.

A few draft tips (from moderate experience, not claiming to be awesome here):

Obviously, go for better cards (purple and up), but avoid depleting cards that are uncommon and worse (green/gray name), because those generally just suck. ALWAYS go for epic+ (orange and red title) cards unless you somehow have 4 of them already (there are exceptions but if you pay attention to chat and ask about unknown cards you’ll figure it out). Go for healing, unpreventable and cards that are build-specific especially, good talismans (slaying, fortitude, (class)‘s, pretty much anything that’s rare and up except barbed broach and greater barbed broach), potions (ESPECIALLY healing, but just in general pretty much any bonus), good and overall good stat/effect.

Unless you get really good cards for a specific class, or one or two really good potions for the class, it’s best to avoid Assassin and Druid.

Basically, your cards should fit one of a few strategies:

Random goodstuff (sent or pyre, almost always): This is where you just shove the best cards you have, focusing on magic or weapon, into a deck and pray. Good for beginners. A variant is where you get a bunch of class-specifics (like sling and shuriken and Brew) and use those as your goodstuffs. Your default unless you notice good cards for another category, and your base for ANY build. Variants are pretty much whenever you get a good card (usually something with on-deplete) and slightly alter your cards yo build around it.

Turtling (sentinel, almost always): This is when you notice you got lots of healing potions, Cleric of Reshna or Talisman of Fortitude, and you grab a lot of high shield/healing cards and hide. Not so good anymore because of availability of counters.

MC-guzzling (pyrelord, almost always): This is where you have a lot of cards like “Charged Blast”, maybe Light my Fire, Aid from the Abyss, ect. You take these plus any MC-gaining cards like Djinn and Tonic (Very good!), Potion of Arcane Energy, Sorcerous Snowball… and put them into a deck, plus other good cards. A variant is MC-hoarding, when you draw cards like Beast Within, Pyromancer Elyssa and Queen Lena, and hope you draw them while gaining MC. You should add a Turtling base to this because you want to maximize draw rates.

Rush (Assassin, sometimes Pyrelord): This is where you get high damage cards and attack. Cards you want are unpreventable and high damage, and you don’t worry so much about the rare deplete cards or defense. You might throw in a few MC guzzling cards and a MC-potion, but that’s not as likely. This is for when you get cards like Darius’s Haste Potion or Leasea/Gnomish Knock, plus a lot of high, high damage cards.

General play tips: When your enemy throw up many shields, play something with very low attack or something unpreventable. That way you basically make them waste their shields. Also, play high-attack cards when you have an increased chance of crit/double damage, and high shield cards when the opponent has pretty much any timed buff, but especially timed attack bonuses.

Flag Post

try farming cicero for sympathetic slaughter, best card for retribution based cycles.

also ya, save things for megabrawls, if you can use the energy pots from the previous megbrawl for the next megabrawl you eventually start to gain energy pots and lots of legendaries and epics (one playset of each a month)

none of this is related to pvp, i’m not a good pvper

Flag Post

The game doesn’t really need money, I’ve spent a grand total of 5 bucks and have never felt the need to spend, sure, there is plenty motivation, but most of the good cards are free, do all the brawls you can and get a clan, draft packs aren’t really hard to get, I encourage you to get 5 draft every Saturday every time you can, and save your DC for the good promos (n the forum you can see which ones are good)

Also, if you are free, never buy a diamond pack, it’s a rip-off

Edit: If in a draft they play phase armor on you, go guns blazing, don’t worry about shield, in fact,play the 0-shield cards first

Flag Post

Woah, thanks for all the feedback guys. One worrying point of me committing into this game was that I would have to fork out at least $50 a month, but based on your experiences, looks like its not that big of an issue… (of course, Paying to Win is always out there for the rich folks.)

Im currently only lv27, (started on friday), so its still a long road ahead for me..But thanks for clearing up my doubts. The tips are also very helpful, and I’ll be sure to put them into practice. :)

Playing as assassin btw.

Flag Post

I’ve paid like $60, but you definitely don’t need to. P.S. I’ve been playing for almost a year.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gossers:

Woah, thanks for all the feedback guys. One worrying point of me committing into this game was that I would have to fork out at least $50 a month, but based on your experiences, looks like its not that big of an issue… (of course, Paying to Win is always out there for the rich folks.)

Im currently only lv27, (started on friday), so its still a long road ahead for me..But thanks for clearing up my doubts. The tips are also very helpful, and I’ll be sure to put them into practice. :)

Playing as assassin btw.

One of the things I love about the game is that it’s extremely hard to win without skill and commitment. Even if you pay 10000$ to get thousands of fortune packs or boxes, you will be crushed in PvP without Dido, manslayer’s, GoWK and other such free cards. The other thing I love is that the devs are responsive and improve. So far there has been massive increases in draft/premium opportunity for free players, more interesting play, and fast-responses to draft issues and bugs.

Flag Post

GO TO THEIR FORUMS and read the tutorials there as they help out ALOT and also, read the wiki! (You don’t need an account and with their ban policy, I wouldn’t get one…)

Don’t PVP until you are around level 200 and have AT LEAST a dido but a Glory of West Karuna (AKA GoWK or just Glories) or two helps out too. This is also because you will be wasting gold that you need to buy gold packs which you will need to beef up your decks for awhile.

Another DC pack to avoid is the Mystery Pack (AKA the Misery Pack) as it too gives crap cards. In fact only buy Fortune Packs and avoid all the other DC packs as they all are bad values. The fortune packs give at LEAST all rares AND a random DC pack which can give you everything from a crap Misery pack or Draft Pack to a Epic or even a LEGENDARY PACK! (which contain cards that are of the same rarity as the packs name)

Another thing is check and make sure, but if there is an idol (blue dragon statue) in the 1 draft rewards and you have the draft packs to fight in the draft, DO IT! (But ONLY during SNC or Saturday Night Clash) Worse case you end up getting forth but you keep the cards you draft AND you might end up getting lucky and end up getting first, which means that you just got all of those cards AND the idol (which can be traded in for DC or Draft Packs) for 15000 gold!