Furious, furious Battle Mages

22 posts

Flag Post

Okay, so just as I’m dispatching the last of Z2 and it’s irritating Plague/Sloth Demon combo, I enter Z3 and the Battle Mages are just another slap in the face. Don’t get me wrong, the first time I fought one of these, that sudden 14 MCs was pretty cool. Now, though, it’s just irritating.

I realized that to beat the Plague Demons, I had to put in some HIGH damage cards. So I got a Talisman that increased my Crit chance. Now, I’m regularly dealing out some 14 odd damage.

Now, to beat the Battle Mages, I need the same thing, only this time, I need to end the round quickly cuz if not, I’ll be looking a good 200+ MCs ready to take me out. My problem is, I’m already dealing high damage and for every magic card I deplete, he gains another 14 MCs!

Damage is obviously not my issue. His absorbance keeps me at an even 5 damage, with crits. Healing or Bloating my Deck, are also not the right ideas—I can’t heal from 89 damage and I can’t afford a 100 card deck, so what do I do?

Besides rage quit, of course.

Flag Post

There are still ways to counter it. Many players have already got passed it.

1. Get torment or spirit wards. Torments are in brawls while spirit wards are crafting. This can be a little hard.

2. Use combos. Use attacks that copy themselves, such as calm before the storm, so instead of playing those cards one by one, you can attack multiple times in a row. You can try using multiple calm before the storms to set up a huge combo roll before you attack so you can maximize the usage.

3. Get magekiller. This is a z4 brawl craft, which although you cannot host, it appears very commonly. It will also drop that some of greater healing potions that are fundamental to a deck strategy call cycling later.

Flag Post

Start using your brain. Putting in every card that seems good works for z1 and z2, but later you actually need to think (and it’s something most players are not too familiar with).

The 3 suggestions were already posted, but there are many more ways. Simplier than doing z4 brawls is joining a guild and getting Wizard Bane. Or many other strategies. Just use your brain.

Flag Post

banishing deck,
melle/ranged only deck
Cycle (need GHP potion and alchemist)
Return damage deck (blood bond, SS, Malice+ spirit wards)
no damage cards (those cards that make u take 0 damage on next hit).
All of these make very good decks on z3/z4 zone
i personaly passed z3 z4 with cycle deck

Flag Post

@cadaverescu I’ve tried a ranged only deck, but he gets the MCs from Magic Cards in either graveyard. Also, wouldn’t the rest of those decks require specific cards? The most exotic cards that I’ve seen up to now (Level 79) are the Vile Stench Bombs and the Talisman of Slaying. I’ve never found a card that forces the other player to deal no damage. I guess, I’ll have to start farming gold again.

@Kkas Do all of the many other strategies involve getting specific cards? If that’s the case, that’s less of a strategy and more of shopping list. I don’t plan on buying Kreds, so I have gotten into the habit of using my brain, if rarely, to forgo that option.

@shotgunnner Alright, it looks like I’m gonna have to hit the Wiki pretty hard on these suggestions, thanks.

Oh, and how do I get to Zone 4 if I haven’t beat Z3 yet?

Flag Post

There are Spirit Wards, Blood Bonds (counter takes place before you deplete) in Nexus, Soften in craft (you should get plenty of those in Mega Brawl), Cloak and Dagger for Assassin that can be much help against damage.

Wiz Bane can be gotten in clan brawls, Magekiller in z4 brawls which you can access from a section conveniently named “Brawl”.

You can call that shopping list, but I somehow got trough z3 without any of those cards.

Flag Post

I’ve been getting through with sheer persistence. If I get lucky, and they amass that glut of MCs and don’t play an Arrow or a Mage, I can get them down. But, I only have one way to stop that War Chest of death from occurring: my Potion of Nullification.

So, I’m thinking a combination of high attacks and draining his MCs. I’ve ignored healing completely—a well placed +3 won’t help against 89 damage dealt. However, relying on my single Crit Hit Talisman isn’t working out, what else can I do to up my attack?

Flag Post

Go with a smaller non-cycle deck and focus on high damage/high crit cards. Don’t worry overmuch about draining his MC’s because the idea is to kill him before he can use them regardless of how many he has. I use a 25 card deck and only 20 of them are attacks. My suggestions are focused on magic cards because I’m a pyrelord, so if you’re a melee/ranged class, you’ll have to adjust accordingly but maybe this’ll give you some ideas. I’m a free player (no Kreds) and I have terrible luck when it comes to getting cards, so my cards are pretty crappy but I can still kill the mages reliably.

Strongly suggested cards (regardless of class) are Torment (from brawls), Heartbreaker (from packs), Talisman of Slaying and other “while in deck” +crit cards, Mirror rorriM if you’ve got it, and whatever potions you like. Add as many Torment as you can to your deck. (Torment will skip the mage’s turn so you have more time to kill it; if it’s in your hand, Heartbreaker will nullify the Royal Battle Mage card.)

Other cards I’d suggest (if you have them and/or are a mage class) are Better to Give, Infernal Aegis (or similar, such as Softness), and Fey Drake’s Puff. If you need a small card buffer (such as for Better to Give), Greater Fireball and Greater Frost Bolt do decent damage. Obviously if you’re not a mage-class, you’ll want to change this part up a bit.

Lastly, don’t forget to use your gear – if you have +crit gear (such as Candy Cane), activate it before you play a high damage card.

Flag Post

The best option for the mages is to build the following deck:
4x torments
2x Magekiller/Wizards Bane
All the potion u can add and talisman

the tactic is to play 4 torments and finish with one of the killing cards
Note that the potions and talisman are there just to make your deck biger than 6 since playing the torments would make u draw no cards
Try searching for a guild its easy to get the wizards bane from glubullus (the first clan brawl)
Hope I helped :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by lucasfaquim:

4x torments

Note that the potions and talisman are there just to make your deck biger than 6 since playing the torments would make u draw no cards
Try searching for a guild its easy to get the wizards bane from glubullus (the first clan brawl)

That’s an excellent deck (though you only need 1 magekiller/bane). If you have any class other than Sin, it’s pretty much a guarenteed win, but with Sin it’s like 90% (still great). However, getting a clan and Bane is hard – most good clans are hard to join, especially at low level, and less good ones are generally less active. The Tavern is nice as it’s pretty much constantly accepting, if you need a short-term fix, but I’d recommend spending some time to send a crap-ton of ctrl-c/ctrl-v applications to any clans with 30+ players for a long-term brawl card gain.

Flag Post

So what I’m hearing is that I need to join a clan to get this badge?

Flag Post

Gonna transit to Z3 soon, so the topic is useful holding in mind there’re no step-by-step tutorials.

If I understand correctly, those pesky mages are these guys http://clashofthedragons.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Battle_Mage_(Enemy), are they?

Browsing thorough AI deck I noticed this card http://clashofthedragons.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_Image and don’t quite get the mechanics. Does this card benefit me or AI after if played in the part of duplicating my Weapon attacks?

4x torments

Exactly which Potions should I prefer to put in?

Flag Post
Originally posted by philnotfil:

So what I’m hearing is that I need to join a clan to get this badge?

No, that’s just an easy way. As I said earlier, the Tavern is nice and you can always copy-paste applications.

Originally posted by Player609:

Gonna transit to Z3 soon, so the topic is useful holding in mind there’re no step-by-step tutorials.

If I understand correctly, those pesky mages are these guys http://clashofthedragons.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Battle_Mage_(Enemy), are they?

Browsing thorough AI deck I noticed this card http://clashofthedragons.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_Image and don’t quite get the mechanics. Does this card benefit me or AI after if played in the part of duplicating my Weapon attacks?

4x torments

Exactly which Potions should I prefer to put in?

It benefits you both: a weapon centric deck gets a bigger bonus though.

Good potions are healing ones, Dark Dreamer is a nice tali. It’s mostly to avoid turn-1 death.

Flag Post
Originally posted by r2d2go:

Dark Dreamer is a nice tali. It’s mostly to avoid turn-1 death.

Dark Dreamer won’t help more than any other Talisman in this deck, it has Survivor 15 :P

Flag Post

OK tried a fight against Angry Battle Mage (http://clashofthedragons.wikia.com/wiki/Dragons_Clash location 2; wiki lists no Angry mages btw only Royal ones) and lost. All happened too fast to understand what happened. :D Spirit Ward was active, but at one point I got dmg right through and saw pots and talis depleting lol.

Deck:

- 4 Torment
- 1 Spirit Ward
- 1 Stormbringer

- 1 Pyrelord’s Trinket (it works for any class, right)?
- 2 Mark of Karuss (my mistake, just wanted to put some talis and forgot they are only for Light Magic lol)
- 1 Greater Healing Potion
- 1 Darius Haste Potion

Stormbringer did zero damage twice. So far I don’t understand the Lightning counters mechanics. Are counters cumulative? Does Stormbringer return from draw pile with more and more counters after each attack?

Atm I’m willing to replace Stormbringer with Restless Ghost, change talis and pots layout.

Still no Magekiller for me, need one green broken charm.

Any advice? :)

upd Aha! Faced Royal mage in different node. Torment → Torment → Spirit Ward – > Restless Ghost until damaged then Torment → etc again. Fight won this time! :D

upd Next fight, Royal Mage again. Lost due to Chain Lightning spell. It seems CL is the root of evil! :D Are any countermeasures possible? Only move that comes to mind is to fit in second Greater Healing Potion. Have no spare SPs atm though.

Flag Post

The act 3 mages (angry and royal are the same I think) do damage through magic counters(MC) and they can easily do over 100 damage if they have enough MC built up. You need a bigger deck IMO (at least 30-35 cards). Also, the mages build MC with Harl’s spellstealer, so you can limit their amount of MC by playing mostly weapon cards.

My favorite card to use against mages that you might have is Heartbreaker. Mages have a NPC card called Royal Battle Mage. It can do tons of damage if the mage has a lot of MC. If you have a heartbreaker in your hand when he plays Royal Battle Mage, the card will be banished and he will lose all his MC. This makes it a lot harder for the mage to hurt you.

Stormbringer is not a great card IMO. It does 1 damage and every time you play it, it adds 1 extra damage. A mage has 3 absorb IIRC, so you would have to play stormbringer 4 times just to be able to do 1 damage to the mage.

Chain Lightning only does about 7 damage IIRC. This would be solved with a bigger deck. The real cards to worry about are “nuke” cards like Royal Battle Mage and Enchanted Arrow which can do well over 100 damage if the mage has a ton of MC.

There are tons of threads about beating the mages on the kong forums and on the official Clash of the Dragons forums if you need more ideas.

Flag Post

Mage’s MCs are not of a concern. Regardless of dmg mage deals via cards which utilize his MCs my char is immune due to Spirit Ward. Also it shuffles Spirit Ward and Torment(s) from depletion pile back into deck i.e. cycle repeats.

All is OK until Chain Lightning comes cause it decks me out. Since wiki says there’s only one CL on normal, so I need one or two more pots with decent healing effect to survive that single CL. I’m curious if CL could be blocked/ignored/nullified/etc. in some other way than boring “wait a couple of days for more levels and skill points, add pots”.

Stormbringer already thrown away, Restless Spirit replaced it and works fine.

Flag Post

I went into Zone 3 thinking that I wouldn’t stand a chance against the Royal Battle Mages due to reading this thread, but I’ve found them quite easy. I don’t even have to use a specific deck or strategy. I just use my standard 35ish card deck and play 4 damage weapon cards (I’m an assassin), and beat the mages pretty easily 9 times out of 10. I only lost if I got really unlucky and got hit with multiple nukes near the end.

Honestly, I’ve found other enemies to be harder to beat, like the Hellhounds with their 7 Acid Flasks and the Honorable Orc Bloodrager with his 6/4/5 stats, though they’re still more nuisances than actually difficult. Those Hellhounds are much more annoying than the mages, since I would keep out decking out when the Hellhound had literally one card left.

Conclusion? You can beat the mages quite easily if you just build a large deck with high damage cards, without having to resort to building specialized decks.

Flag Post
I just use my standard 35ish card deck and play 4 damage weapon cards (I’m an assassin), and beat the mages pretty easily 9 times out of 10. I only lost if I got really unlucky and got hit with multiple nukes near the end

My final deck I used to grind Mages:

4 Torments
1 Spirit Ward
These cards are the “core” of the deck. Use 2-3 Torments before Spirit Ward to ensure Mage has enough Magic Counters. Then just wait for Mage deals dmg utilizing MC’s → used Torments & Spirit Ward are back in your deck. Repeat cycle.
Restless Ghost
Any decent NPC can be used. Restless Ghost has an advantage that if it is depleted it will return to deck after any attack played by you or mob. Attack with NPC if under Spirit Ward protection.
Protect the Weak
I found that a couple of times Mage depleted some of my cards, my acting first in 1st round I guess. So I put in a weapon healing card. It also has decent dmg to finish Mage if needed. If no such card, then opt for Catch Your Breath which is more common I guess.
2 Greater Healing Potion
1 Djinn and Tonic
Put in as many healing Pots as you can. Just in case. :D
2 Talisman of Arcane Might
1 Pyrelord Trinket
Put in as many Talis as you can. Talis should benefit your magic attacks or have any other decent effects.

Note that cards I used are if not common, but could be obtained via “free playing”, i.e. from Starter Pack, Gold Packs and Brawls.

Those Hellhounds are much more annoying than the mages, since I would keep out decking out when the Hellhound had literally one card left

No need to rush on them. Just use 1-2-3 dmg attacks and stash heals / healing Pots as backup. In this case it is YOU who gonna deck them out :D

Flag Post

If you’re a sentry, you can use the Skeletal Sorceror NPC card

Flag Post

i always get nuke when i have around 25+ card left… havnt even got the chance to see any of my anti-mage card appear

Flag Post
Originally posted by zenitro:

i always get nuke when i have around 25+ card left… havnt even got the chance to see any of my anti-mage card appear

Use a smaller deck, you can win with just 4 torments, a heal and a nuke. It’s how I did it.