How do i save game progress?

8 posts

Flag Post

anybody know a link to a tutorial for that?

Flag Post

Game progress is usually saved on the player’s computer (also called the client computer) in a data structure called a Shared Object. Just Google it and there should be plenty of tuts for it. There are other ways of saving (like on the server hosting your game) but the Shared Object is usually enough for most purposes.

Flag Post

This link is about saving and loading save files, for as3.

http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com/2009/03/18/avoider-game-tutorial-11/

Flag Post

Thanks Sanchex, this is exactly what I was looking for!

horsegames.net

Flag Post

HI, I want to save and retrieve data from Kongregate regarding a players progress and stats. I read somewhere this could be done, so that player progress/saved data can be accessed from any computer. HOW?

I see two mechanisms for saving (submitting statistics :: Is there a method for retrieving statistics?) and (save :: Is there a method for loading?). I saw this example (kongregate.sharedContent.addLoadListener(“Contraption”, onContraptionLoad);). However, it suggests the user has to initiate the transfer. It’s confusing. Does this mean that if CONTRAPTION was SAVEd for this USER, then it will be AUTO loaded (trigger onContraptionLoad) when the user logs in or is logged in when game is started? How do I get at the saved data?

It be easiest for me to just use the statistics SUBMITed data. Is there a way to retrieve statistics for a user? (kongregateAPI.stats :: sharedObject? with key-value pairs?) Since the game is uploaded to Kongregate, do I simply make a sharedObject in the usual way and it gets magically tagged for that user and stored on Kongregate’s server? As you can read in this post… I’m confused? HELP!

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlurToyger:

HI, I want to save and retrieve data from Kongregate regarding a players progress and stats. I read somewhere this could be done, so that player progress/saved data can be accessed from any computer. HOW?

I see two mechanisms for saving (submitting statistics :: Is there a method for retrieving statistics?) and (save :: Is there a method for loading?). I saw this example (kongregate.sharedContent.addLoadListener(“Contraption”, onContraptionLoad);). However, it suggests the user has to initiate the transfer. It’s confusing. Does this mean that if CONTRAPTION was SAVEd for this USER, then it will be AUTO loaded (trigger onContraptionLoad) when the user logs in or is logged in when game is started? How do I get at the saved data?

It be easiest for me to just use the statistics SUBMITed data. Is there a way to retrieve statistics for a user? (kongregateAPI.stats :: sharedObject? with key-value pairs?) Since the game is uploaded to Kongregate, do I simply make a sharedObject in the usual way and it gets magically tagged for that user and stored on Kongregate’s server? As you can read in this post… I’m confused? HELP!

I think that isn’t possible :/
The only way you cand send AND retrieve data form Kongregate’s server is via Shared Content, and those are public so everyone can get any savefile.

Flag Post

I believe there used to be a method for retrieving stats from Kongregate, but it no longer exists. So, if you want to have saved stats, you either need to save it on the players’ computers (SharedObject) or on your own privately hosted server.

Flag Post

I can understand that housing the data files, as small as they may be, for the countless games and even more increasing number of users could be a daunting task. However, I do believe that it would be a good idea to add a pay-only feature to Kongregate that would store those files for these subscribed users on a Kong server that could be accessed from any computer through the games’ log-in script or through a log-in interface loaded before the game that would reroute the default location of the flash cache within that game for the time frame of that login to the Subscribed Kong server. If enough users backed it, it could potentially support the cost of running the server.