Shoot!/Kongregate Labs FAQ and Discussion page 3

118 posts

Flag Post

ActionScript is its own language — well, in fact, it is three. ActionScript 1, 2, and 3 are all distinct enough to be called separate languages, in my opinion.

They are based on ECMAscript, which JavaScript is also based on. But JavaScript has very little to do with Java.

I find most procedural programming languages to be pretty much the same. ;)

Flag Post

Ah cool :)

Btw in the Ships newGame() function, there should be a “PowerUp.removeMovieClip();”, because otherwise if you die while there is a power up on the screen, and click Restart Game, the power up will stay there.

Flag Post

when do the new tutorials come online ? because it is 21/10

Flag Post

21/10 lasts 24 hours just keep checking like i have been all day :) i think the site is US based so if you are not from the US it may take a little longer :)

Flag Post

yeah i’m from belgium, so i hope that the tutorials will be online this evening :)

Flag Post

new tut’s are great :) just a week of customizing the code for my game :D

Flag Post

Hey, I was browsing Kongregate and I was playing some random game, and then…
KONGREGATE LABS! OMGWTFBBQ? What is this? Why is it here?

$250!? Yay, I like money!
Yeah, that was kind of my reaction.
But anyways, getting to the point: What exactly means “Shoot!-like”? (AKA eligible for competition)
Shoot! with modified graphics?
Shoot! itself?
Shoot!, except with Chuck Norris battling Muppets in a vertical top down shooter?
Any game that involves Shooting?

I’m really confused. Not only do I not get what exactly constitutes a game that can be considered Shoot! based and still be accepted, but I also don’t know whether a game that you develop that is entirely NOT based around Shoot!, but is still a shooting (defense) game (you’re not moving, but the enemies are trying to rampage you :D), has moving enemies, upgrades, different weapons and is also your FIRST FLASH GAME ever would count as an eligible submission for the contest. Because I had started a game (tentatively called ColorBlast) a few days ago as my first full Flash project, and I saw this competition. I was just wondering whether this kind of submission would be acceptable? The official rules point to the “rules listed on the webpage”, which kind of defeats the purpose of having official rules because they’re supposed to be concrete, but by referencing a very vague “rules” on the front page makes it so that nobody has any idea what is really acceptable or not.
-Batterytime

Flag Post

The idea of the competition is for people to learn how to start making a game from the tutorials and then apply their own ideas and perhaps learn more programming on their own.
If you submit Sonny 2 then obviously it’ll be disqualified. I’m sure it’ll be obvious whether you used the Shootorials or not. I mean, at least have some elements of Shoot in your game…common sense will prevail.

Flag Post

If I were to get my entry sponsored by, say, Newgrounds, would I be able to submit it to this contest? Also, are entries into this contest eligible for the normal weekly and monthly contests?

Flag Post

After some thought: yes, you can get your game sponsored by somebody else, though it would be nice if you mentioned or linked to Kong. And yes, these games are still eligible for our regular contest prizes.

Flag Post

How will the winner be determined?

- By a jury?
- By star rating? (this might be influenced by your uploading date)
- By number of votes (new system)

Because if it’s by star than do you really have chance if you submit it one day before the contest closes?
And what if only 10 people vote for a game but they all vote 4-5 stars? Will it be weighed?

Flag Post

It is by star rating, but you need a minimum number of ratings (35, I believe). That is my understanding of the rules.

Flag Post

Still, if you admit your game on the last day and can get 35 people to vote high numbers for you. I dunno just seems strange that you can submit your games for such a long time.

Flag Post

Is there a limit to the stage size? Can the game entry be any stage size and frame rate you like or does it have to be something specific?

Flag Post

@Salvator: There’s no way we can expect the absolute best game to win, and there is always an advantage to having 35 friends who will play your game and rate it high. I happened to read the weekly contest rules, and it is okay to ask your friends and family to play and vote for your game, but not okay to encourage them to create multiple accounts or rate your competitors low to give you an advantage.

Flag Post

As soon as a game becomes the highest rated, dozens of people will play it (for being high up) and rate it back down again. Really fast. Unless you’re talking about doing it in the last three minutes or something, but uh… the obvious cheatingness of it will be obvious.

It will self-regulate nicely provided at least some people are refreshing the highest-rated list and rating them sensibly.

Flag Post

Hmm thanks. I wondered why high rated games can suddenly drop in rating. It seems like the kongregate congregation is divided up into different groups of people. There are people who check out new games and reward creativity, people who only play the front page games and seem to rate games for different reasons (difficulty for one) and people who find the games because they were looking for them. All of the groups have different voting tendencies.

Flag Post

Um… what about what i can put into the game? I mean it has to be only a shooter game that has a side-scrolling system or i can put more things on it, like a button to summon a dragon with 5 heads and 2 tails or i don’t know, put a boss on the final level and stuff like that.

If i can’t put more things just anwser to me, it has to be like the original game? Like one ship destroying other ships and rescuing little monsters in the ground?

Flag Post

Every more official response I’ve read has said simply that you must meet the official requirements, so it can really be any game as long as you are eligible. I think you are likely to do best if your roots in "shoot: can be seen, BUT it differs in significant ways. So it doesn’t have to be a side-scroller, it probably doesn’t even need to be a shooter, and adding stuff would be a good thing.

Flag Post

It’s been fun seeing more games come up. I thought I would also add here that these games would get more play and attention from people not in the contest if the link to try contest games were on the first page (where Play Shoot! and the links to the latest Shootorials are) rather than on a link buried on the Contest info. page. There isn’t really any indication from the front page that you should click that page to get to the contest entries.

Flag Post

So, I was an idiot, ignored all of the warnings and red letters, and proceeded to not use the Scion Uploader for my game. I looked around the forums, but couldn’t find a clear answer. What can I do to get the game entered in the contest?

Flag Post

Are we allowed to submit more than one game?

Flag Post

I’m not sure this competition is for you stronglink. Read up on it.

Flag Post

Well actually Salvator, there’s nothing in the rules stating that stronglink, even though he HAS submitted a whole bunch of games, can’t compete. All of his games are under 3 stars in rating, so that makes him eligible.

Apologies if you’re female, just replace the "he"s with "she"s. :D

Flag Post

Can someone from Kongregate PLEASE convincingly clarify on the main Scion page that games are not required to be shoot tutorial replicates? People are rating games lower and making comments to the effect of “this doesn’t look anything like shoot”… I think people have misunderstood the goals and requirements of the contest, and I beleive that is causing ratings to be affected, and design desicions on submissions to be altered. Please clarify your requirements in a very easy to understand public notification of either of the following:

A: The game submitted MUST use code in the shootorials

B: The game submitted IS NOT REQUIRED to use code in the shootorials

One of those statements needs to be made, or I don’t feel that it would be ethical to say that everyone has been given a fair shot at this contest. I am working on something that was going to be for this contest, but without a clarification on this point, I won’t be holding the project to a needlessly short deadline.