Shoot!/Kongregate Labs FAQ and Discussion page 5

118 posts

Flag Post

Thanks for a timely response; but, when I tried that I got multiple 1114 errors and 1 syntax.

The swf Menu screen flickers and is inoperable.
The ORIGINAL swf from the .ZIP I downloaded worked from outside “classes” perfectly PRIOR to opening the .fla file. I’ve attempted multiple “Start Overs” by throwing out files and re-downloading. Everything works fine until I open the .fla – that when everything goes south !

The errors I generated from reloacting .fla to classes are as follows:

1114: The public attribute can only be used inside a package.

Flag Post

public function progressHandler(e:ProgressEvent):void
public function completeListener(e:Event):void
public function onPlay(e:MouseEvent)
public function onNormal(e:MouseEvent)
public function onHard(e:MouseEvent)
public function initGame()
public function onPlayAgainNormal(e:MouseEvent)
public function onPlayAgainHard(e:MouseEvent)
public function initStats()
public function updateStat(stat:String, val:int)
public function gameOver()

Flag Post

OK, I figured it out.
The .fla has to be inside the classes folder when exporting the swf; and, the swf can be outside the classes folder but not more than one folder away. Seems a bit strange to me but I am new to game development. My flash background is in webdesign. Thank you for the help !

Flag Post

AS3 blows, I can develop in AS2 in 1/4 of the time it takes to do stuff in AS3. Adobe turned flash into flex with AS3.

Flag Post

what software did you use to create your game

Flag Post

How can a developer request achievements for his/her game?

Flag Post

@ DiabeticGames: I think it depends on how many people played/voted/favorited and liked your game.

Flag Post

i feel stupid.i was like “hmmm.making a game sounds fun. oh theres a good tutorial(shootorial). flash cs3 is downloaded and i opened it.huh!? demo is over. ill get flash cs4. cant find that.ill get flash cs5.wont download. oh the swedish version worksoh shoot the cs5 interface is different.plus, i know swedish, but ive barely used any swedish programs(i can barely use word)”HELP PLEASE!
can i get flash again? is there a tutorial for cs5?

Flag Post

oh and just so u know “making a game sounds fun” is a hint that being called a nerd in school does nothing to change the fact that i know, hmm lets see,nothing about flash. unless it counts that i know that adobe bought flash from macromedia and stands for something and splash.
sorry for repeating myself, but (int)MyKnowledgeOfFlashInPercent>!0

Flag Post

Hi. I joined this forum as a composer/sound designer looking to collaborate on games with coders & artists… but I’ve decided I also want to ‘mess around’ with making my own game just so that I can learn some nuts & bolts.

Actually I have a stupid little idea about trying to present my game audio portfolio in the context of a user-controlled flash game (not a hard ‘game’… just something where you control a little guy and the guy can walk to different rooms to hear different musical styles or see my portfolio, etc). I don’t know how hard that would be, or if it’s even possible… but I’ve got the time and the interest, so now here I am…

My question: I can get the CS5 trial of flash and potentially go in for a student license. But is it possible to do this shootorial thing with CS5 even though (apparently) the menus are different? I don’t care about the already-expired contest. I am a total novice, but I know you can choose to use AS2 instead of AS3 with CS5, and I’m pretty sure I can figure it out as long as there aren’t any missing features. Thanks!!

Flag Post

Firstly, i’d like to apologise as there are probably hundreds of posts like this but i’m ‘stuck’ with the background on the shootorial

here’s where i am at the moment: i’ve got my ship moving properly, and i’ve imported the background image (not much huh?)
so: i can get the background image on the SWF easy, but whenever i modify it to give it a class, the following error shows up

Symbol=Background, layer=Layer 1, frame=1, Line 1 The class or interface ‘Background’ could not be loaded.

at this point i can see the background still, it just wont scroll to the side like it should be doing

note: i have checked for spelling errors etc, the saves are in the same folder and there are no errors until i give the background its class

i need help with this thanks in advance (or not :D)

Flag Post

Hi. I just tried to download the AS3 Source code from the site and the link just takes me to whole different
website altogether. I think the domain is expired or something. Could you boys please repost the link to the source code? That would be great.

Flag Post

the as3 of shootorials that i just download..howcome when i test movie its not complete…The game cannot be played? the buttons of normal and hard should be hidden right.when i test movie it. play! button has come out together with the normalk and hard button..any solution?asap…need help..

Flag Post

AS2 is way easier then AS3.

Flag Post
Originally posted by babenic:

the as3 of shootorials that i just download..howcome when i test movie its not complete…The game cannot be played? the buttons of normal and hard should be hidden right.when i test movie it. play! button has come out together with the normalk and hard button..any solution?asap…need help..

This is true. Others who had the same experience please post and quote babenic’s post … so as to motivate kongregate technical support to make the necessary correction :)

The “as3 of shootorials” referred to is at http://www.kongregate.com/labs near to the bottom of the page which states “…. Here’s the source code for an AS3 version of Shoot with many extras…”

Flag Post

Also the mobile version downloaded from http://www.kongregate.com/labs “… The mobile version of Shoot! (AS3) is now available. If you are interested in optimizing some of your creations for the mobile experience, you can download the source code and check it out!”
… is not in working condition.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Hi!

I followed the first few parts of the shootorial up until it says to test out your game, at which point the ship should move left to right. However, my ship was not moving, just staying in one spot.

Now I tried EVERYTHING, both flash files were in the SAME folder, I was using CS3 with AS 2.0, all my files and the ship class was named correctly, the coding was an EXACT match. I followed the instructions like a mirror, yet that ship refuses to move.

Everything is right! (although obviously not)

Help will be appreciated! :D