Thanks for the shootorials, kong!

22 posts

Flag Post

I just wanted to take the time to say thanks to whoever made the shootorials. I started out having never made a flash game before and by the end of shootorial #6 I felt confident to continue coding my game without the help of tutorials. So far I’ve added a level system with unique enemies and bosses on each level (I decided to write my own boss class because Kong’s had minibosses too which I didn’t want), an upgrade system inbetween levels so far with 1 functioning upgrade, a progress bar that shows how much of the level you’ve currently completed, and lots of other stuff. I still plan to implement other cool stuff like some simple hack protection (Basically, a check for inflated scores) and of course a lives system and whatnot.

My code might be kind of inefficient but it’s a lot of fun, and I’m glad the shootorials were there to help get me started. I’m anxious to upload my game but I’ve still got a lot of bosses and enemies and backgrounds and features (And BGM, even, to the best of my ability) to create :(.

Are there ever any plans for a new kong labs contest or was it a one time thing? I just didn’t think much about making a game when the contest was open.

Flag Post

Glad to hear that the Shootorials have brought you into game programming :).

Flag Post

Yeah seriously, I’ve been looking at/for good tutorials for flash game programming on google for about 2 weeks now. Playing some games on kongregate got me interested, and I want to see what I can come up with. I forgot to take a look at the shootorials, and finally took a glance.

All of them are exceptional, thanks a lot.

Are there going to be anymore coming?

Flag Post

The Shootorials are great, they have helped me out alot and have given me some great ideas. Thanks Alot

Flag Post

Thanks should go to Richpixel who came up with the idea for the Shootorials and made them start to finish including the great art. He’s working on new sets of Kongai cards right now, but once he finishes that up he’ll be working on new Shootorial-type series and some other related ideas he’s had. And FYI the games on his profile were all made in less than a day as experiments.

Flag Post

I think if i tried to pay more attention to the shootorials and follow it i would’ve made a good game.

Flag Post

I wanna make a game, so i am trying the shootorials now. But i get stuck at #1…

Flag Post

How can you be stuck at #1?

Flag Post

I’d also like to say thanks for the Shootorials. They are my first venture into flash programming. I am currently working through them and recoding them in AS3 using FlashDevelop. Iv’e been going a week and only today realised that someone has done them in AS3. That said porting them myself has been a good way to learn, although today I have spent far too much time tweening instead of coding!

Thanks again.

Flag Post

I agree that shootorial is an amazing tutorial, and it is also what finally got me to cross the line to make games. I’ll be adding you to my friends list to see how your game turns out and comparing it to the one I’m making.

Flag Post

the shootorials are very straightforward and simple, but for some reason i failed at the scrolling background. lol i shall try again in another week.

Flag Post

Any one know of other tutorials like shootorial? its been hard finding good ones like this..

Flag Post

Check out http://www.emanueleferonato.com/. He has got some pretty good tutorials.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

Thanks should go to Richpixel who came up with the idea for the Shootorials and made them start to finish including the great art. He’s working on new sets of Kongai cards right now, but once he finishes that up he’ll be working on new Shootorial-type series and some other related ideas he’s had. And FYI the games on his profile were all made in less than a day as experiments.

Shame this never happened, I wonder why not. His profile says he logged in as recently as January so he’s sort of still around.

Flag Post

Of course, he probably has an alt, or actually never needs to log into his account since he spends his day doing something else.

Flag Post

Try Michael J. Williams’ avoider game tutorial.

http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com/

Flag Post

THANKS A LOT, SHOOTORIALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flag Post

The Shootorials aren’t that bad I guess, but there are better tutorials out there. Most people should be learning AS3 by now, they don’t explain how to do some stuff, and it kinda just makes people copy & paste zombies without understanding how the stuff works. Again, they’re better than nothing though, and they were good when AS2 was good, but I think something like this might be better now.

Flag Post

I agree with Ullallulu. The Shootorials are possibly some of the best AS2 tutorials ever written, but they were released 5 years too late.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BIGMANONCAMPS:
Originally posted by emily_greer:

Shame this never happened, I wonder why not. His profile says he logged in as recently as January so he’s sort of still around.

Late reply, but I believe I saw a post somewhere saying that he has been sick for a while and thus unable to create new awesome stuff for us.

Flag Post

pixel2life
republic of code
gotoAndLearn
and kirupa

is IMO few of the best flash help and self-help sites i knew of, but of course nothing beats kong if i’m looking for resources on how to make game with flash :)

Flag Post

Im going to be releasing some art and design tutorials soon in about a 3 days check www.c0rupt3d.com