Forums Time World

Purple equipment - Your redemption or your doom? page 2

35 posts

Flag Post

You might wanna check a real dictionary Jessupac. FYI, not everything on the internet is accurate.
The use of idiot for a person with a mental capability of under 3 or even 2 years has mostly been abandoned.
Idiot indicated the greatest degree of intellectual disability, where the mental age is two years or less, and the person cannot guard himself or herself against common physical dangers. The term was gradually replaced by the term profound mental retardation.

ps. Are you really conjecturing that there is a positive use of the word retard?

Flag Post

Here’s the deal, I’m not out to offend anyone or disregard anyone’s feelings. I don’t like that some people are hurt by this, but by avoiding it altogether is only going to make things worse. Think of any problem you have ever had, and that was a viable solution? Avoidance doesn’t solve the problem, downplaying it doesn’t solve the problem, persecuting those that choose to use certain terms that are deemed as socially disrespectful doesn’t solve the problem, getting those that use such terms to agree with you and not use those terms doesn’t solve the problem. The only way is to meet it head on, and while it may not be exactly the correct course, it is my earnest opinion that it is definitely a step, no matter how small, in the right direction. I’d like to ask you to help me with this, rather than judge me based upon very little, and even fewer facts. I am sorry to anyone that has been offended, but I do not and will not apologize for my beliefs, just as you wouldn’t think I would if you were Jewish and I was Catholic, a much more volatile relationship that somehow has more understanding and respect for one another. What we all need to realize is that we all are trying to do the same things, live a long, healthy life, and in the case of most people, even those who use such terms, trying to be the best people we can be. This will never work out if we all think everyone else should conform to our beliefs, and persecute those that don’t. I want you to take note of how many times that word has come up in my rants, there is a reason.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Atomslaya:

You might wanna check a real dictionary Jessupac. FYI, not everything on the internet is accurate.

The use of idiot for a person with a mental capability of under 3 or even 2 years has mostly been abandoned.
Idiot indicated the greatest degree of intellectual disability, where the mental age is two years or less, and the person cannot guard himself or herself against common physical dangers. The term was gradually replaced by the term profound mental retardation.

ps. Are you really conjecturing that there is a positive use of the word retard?

This definition of idiot you provide, is saying the same exact thing in different words. “The greatest degree of intellectual disability” would either put it on par with, or worse than what eventually replaced it as the accepted term you have provided. Still not sure where that came from either….not very good at providing evidence are you?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idiot
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retard?show=0&amp;t=1334901640 <~~~~aren’t they considered the authority? well, they are in my country, and i’m not paying for a subscription to look up a couple of words using the OED. since i’ve already posted the definitions, i’ll just do synonyms this time:
idiot:
Synonyms: airhead, birdbrain, blockhead, bonehead, bubblehead, chowderhead, chucklehead, clodpoll (or clodpole), clot [British], cluck, clunk, cretin, cuddy (or cuddie) [British dialect], deadhead, dim bulb [slang], dimwit, dip, dodo, dolt, donkey, doofus [slang], dope, dork [slang], dullard, dumbbell, dumbhead, dum-dum, dummkopf, dummy, dunce, dunderhead, fathead, gander, golem, goof, goon, half-wit, hammerhead, hardhead, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, know-nothing, knucklehead, lamebrain, loggerhead [chiefly dialect], loon, lump, lunkhead, meathead, mome [archaic], moron, mug [chiefly British], mutt, natural, nimrod [slang], nincompoop, ninny, ninnyhammer, nit [chiefly British], nitwit, noddy, noodle, numskull (or numbskull), oaf, pinhead, prat [British], ratbag [chiefly Australian], saphead, schlub (also shlub) [slang], schnook [slang], simpleton, stock, stupe, stupid, thickhead, turkey, woodenhead, yahoo, yo-yo, dumb cluck

retard:
Synonyms: brake, decelerate, slow, slacken

Which one do you think is more offensive after reading the official definitions from the authoritative dictionary of the United States of America

p.s. Yes, I am saying there are many acceptable and positive uses and also that people like you shouldn’t say they don’t mean the things that they do. You are now passing your ignorance onto the rest of those who are lucky enough not to be blind (is that another disease I mentioned without degrading those that have it?). These uses I refer to would probably be what the word actually defines, not the common slang that you are so hung up on. The authoritative dictionary (you’re not going to try to dispute merriam-webster that is wrong on a definition, are you?) doesn’t even recognize the slang use, which is what you are referring to. i could just as easily make a reasonably sounding statement that would persuade someone of a weaker mind who chooses to believe what they hear and that the way things are is always right. whether you read that or not, in a book or online, doesn’t make it true, it just reiterates what I have been saying about the word idiot all along. i figured this out when i was like 8, why is it so difficult for you? let me tell you how, i read the definitions, and then made an intellectual decision what each one means on it’s own merit, then i accounted for the common slang use, then i made an assessment that the word retard has been used wrong by people that failed to look up the definition of the word. and that people have lost sight of what idiot actually means, and the common use of it has numbed society to that meaning. let me ask you this then, how is it that idiot has surpassed that wall that you say retard can’t get past? it has lost it’s original meaning, even though it’s still considered offensive, but only to those that aren’t concerned with actualities

p.s.s. in all actuality, though, i am conjecturing that are much better responses to any particular word, no matter how offensive one person, or group of people, find it. Just ask Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., or you could just look up the word character and read the definition that coincides with human behavior.

Flag Post

I knew, I should have just stay off the forum… My 2 post on this thread..

Post 1) was to agreed with Atomslaya’s excellent POV on the used of Purple Equipment, its’ Pros and Cons. As base on my observations on the game and/or various discussion with other players. The use of “idiots” was referring to the consensus mass that HAVE NOT fully understand its full capabilities. IE. pros and cons.

Post 2) was a direct reply to you(Jessupac) Since you said something along the line that you post opinion with “reasoning” as to what you thinks should be or should not be, to help put forth a suggestion… To bad the post was Edited. Thus, I can not quoted it. This post(#2) was a way of me saying, nobody force you to buy anything in the coupon mall if you do not wish to buy. If you can not “wait” and save coupon for later use, to obtain an edge NOW, rather than later don’t complain why…As you know, Often most things that is “NOW” usually have better Option later on. IE. The ever changing evolution of gaming console. Thus it reference.

Post 3(THIS).. If you feel that my posts has nothing to do with this thread you could have brush it under the rug and moved on… You, however chose to trump out your Opinion on what is and what is not. Alas, We end up here with a few post talking about what, which has nothing to do with “Purple Equipment”.

None the less, Atomslaya’s Post cover pretty much everything on what one would need to know about purple equipment. The decision of the buyers is totally their choice. As in the title, it could help them, or hurt them.

Flag Post

1) Thanks for clearing that up. I’ve been waiting for confirmation one way or the other. I’ll tentatively believe you for now. You could have easily ignored the impulse to call the masses idiots….
2) This was an assumption from the get-go, I put 2 and 2 together, it looked like 4 so I rolled with it. I am slightly dyslexic (a learning disability, which affects my output more than input, mostly I skip words when I type thinking I’ve already typed that word) so I reread my posts to ensure they are in order, I think all of my posts are edited, at least most of them, sorry for that. And I did state that within my reasoning and for all to consider, I have limited experience, so there may be some information not present. You all, or they all, whoever, have taken the assumption that I do have an extensive knowledge when my suggestions are clearly based on, and it’ clearly aforementioned, limited experience. Again, sorry for that.
3) It is my opinion, I’ll do with it what I want. If it wasn’t referring to the post, it could have just as easily been swept under the rug, and this is the high and mighty attitude I mentioned in a post on the suggestions thread. You are calling me out for doing something and ignoring someone else doing that. Because he is your friend? Refer back to my response to 1), you, too, could have made a better decision.

About that post mentioning what he left out, from tryggerwolf, in my response to that, what I was actually trying to do was help atomslaya understand where it was tryg was coming from, and also the reason behind how it may not be so easy to pick up on. Through experience, those things that are so seemingly common sense, may not be picked up on by people without that experience. Since the post is clearly for that group without, I just wanted him to understand that it wasn’t a personal attack, but tryg was just trying to point it out and there may be possible negative effects from his good intentions. These negative effects don’t negate his intentions, just the outcome, which might differ from the intent. I read the post and understood it as meant, but that doesn’t mean everyone will. I know it didn’t sound like it, wasn’t supposed to, but it was my version of help.

Flag Post

2) Btw, we can sell old video game systems in exchange for a small amount towards the purchase of a new video game system, so I guess we should be able to sell coupon-bought items back for coupons….and there are other factors involved in that scenario that do not apply to the coupon mall. I did adjust your second post so that it does fall into line with our argument, since we don’t want a full return on those items, which is what it suggested, and it still has factors that don’t apply

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jessupac:

2) Btw, we can sell old video game systems in exchange for a small amount towards the purchase of a new video game system, so I guess we should be able to sell coupon-bought items back for coupons….and there are other factors involved in that scenario that do not apply to the coupon mall. I did adjust your second post so that it does fall into line with our argument, since we don’t want a full return on those items, which is what it suggested, and it still has factors that don’t apply

Indeed that is an option, however… This is not a game boutique. IE Gamestop and like per say.. Goes to Walmart/kmart/Target and try to sell it there. =p

Flag Post
Originally posted by Neokryton:
Originally posted by Jessupac:

Indeed that is an option, however… This is not a game boutique. IE Gamestop and like per say.. Goes to Walmart/kmart/Target and try to sell it there. =p

I get your point, it is the way it is, that’s exactly why we posted asking. If we could already sell coupon items back for coupons…….no need. This is why I didn’t understand the resistance, and things I don’t understand make me upset. Honestly, there’s not many things I don’t understand, and that’s why I get upset. Also, it all felt unnecessary, which is a pet peeve of mine, adding to my emotional responses. I’ve been trying to chill on it actually…

Flag Post

You aren’t trying to understand, but thanks for the readable post ^^~

Flag Post
Originally posted by MatrimKK:

You aren’t trying to understand, but thanks for the readable post ^^~

What’s to understand that I don’t? From what I can tell, I completely understand, enough so to say why it shouldn’t be that way, and with good reason (about the sell-back and the evolution of society). The resistance wasn’t to the thought of adding something to the game, but trying to inform me why it is that way, while at the same time making it appear as if it was resistance to wanting it in the game. This is what I don’t understand. I tried to say there’s no need for it, just an “I like that idea” or “I don’t like that idea”, but that apparently isn’t the way things are supposed to happen when making suggestions to the game. The whole thing was just incessant, imho