Forums Time World

When is the NEXT EVENT? page 2

30 posts

Flag Post

Nvillian1, that’s my thing (showing out logical fallacies). That is specifically a red herring fallacy; in that it distracts from the main argument with abstract and irrelevant statements (true or false).

To prove that Christmas and Easter are no longer religious; at what point does anything Jesus ever said confirm the existence of a bunny that lays eggs; or a man who breaks into your house and leaves presents he made himself aided by magical elves and reindeer (the red suit and jelly belly, idea is crap shoved down our throats by the coke company)? As I am currently attending a christian school, I can firmly tell you he does not.

Neither Easter, nor Christmas maintain the meaning they once had. (Easter was the resurrection of Christ; and Christmas was the celebration of Christ’s birthday, even the date of his birth is down to speculation as no one knows when Christ was truly born)

Flag Post

New profit making idea for PM:
Anytime anyone says “red herring” or “ad hominem” 50 kreds is deducted from that users account.

Flag Post

That would be unfair to the ones who DO have kreds. ;)

(and about the topic, a lot of christian holidays were pagan to start with and highjacked by the church to make sure people would follow their religion, hence all those saints that, locally, resemble older pagan deities, so it might be a good idea to celebrate the first day of summer or something that really means something to everyone)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zalithar:

To prove that Christmas and Easter are no longer religious; at what point does anything Jesus ever said confirm the existence of a bunny that lays eggs; or a man who breaks into your house and leaves presents he made himself aided by magical elves and reindeer (the red suit and jelly belly, idea is crap shoved down our throats by the coke company)? As I am currently attending a christian school, I can firmly tell you he does not.

That is a fact. My sister teaches in a catholic school and they are prohibited the use of Santa Claus (Coca Cola indeed) (did you know Santa Claus was derived from Sinterklaas, a “holy man” celebrated on December 6th in dutch speaking countries) and the Easter Bunny, since those were commercially introduced and thus have nothing to do with actual Christianity.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Atomslaya:
Originally posted by Zalithar:

That is a fact. My sister teaches in a catholic school and they are prohibited the use of Santa Claus (Coca Cola indeed) (did you know Santa Claus was derived from Sinterklaas, a “holy man” celebrated on December 6th in dutch speaking countries) and the Easter Bunny, since those were commercially introduced and thus have nothing to do with actually Christianity.

As a matter of fact, the current image of Santa Claus was merely popularised by the Coca Cola company. The ‘modern’ image has been around for a while.

Edit: Talk about a thread getting off-topic.