Forums Time World

WoH is Misleading and Sabotaging new players

31 posts

Flag Post

Well from observation of the past couple of weeks, I can tell one thing:
The War of Heroes is Sabotaging our new players.

The newer players are exposed to this mechanic early on in the game. It leads them to believe that this is where their goals and ambitions of gameplay should lie. When in fact that is the exact opposite of the truth.
I see players every day asking how they can “stat their heroes better for WoH” or “i got my first purple, should I make it a jester or a shaman?”
I’ve even seen players stating that you should have “war as close to command as possible to make them the best in WoH”
Things like this sadden me, because WoH is robbing the players of their strength for the actual gameplay.
For those of you that don’t know. The storyline and the Pillar Wars are the main portion of the game. PvP between planets as well. With players being duped in to thinking WoH is where the game is, they are wasting copious amounts of valuable AP on WoH PvP and visiting.
AP that is more wisely spent on PvP, or Pillars.
When you do good in the main game, you get to upgrade you buildings faster. When you upgrade your buildings, you get higher level taverns. When you get higher level taverns, you get more purple heroes. Subsequently with more purple heroes, and more taverns, you get in to a better galaxy. With a better galaxy you get more coupons. With coupons you get VIP. As well as all this means you are finishing chapters, granting you more AP to use. VIP giving 20 more AP to use as well. Not to mention ALL the levels your heroes will get, and with levels comes more stats.
All of the above passively makes you a better player in WoH. So if you play the main game, even if you enjoy WoH more, you will be better at WoH due to the circumstances of it.

Was this post too long? If it was, the short summary is:
WoH is making players ruin their heroes, when they could instead finish the storyline, normal pvp, and participate in pillars to become a better player in WoH.

Flag Post

Seconded. Strange to agree with LordShoe, but absolutely spot on.

I can’t get over how folks think that WoH is Timeworld, not an unrelated expansion to waste some time waiting to do something….in the real game. Like playing FFVIII just to play the mini-game card game.

Flag Post

Well, It’s always a problem of people not reading the damn guides. Not WoH fault.

BTW, bad example, playing triple triad was the only reason to play that horrible pile of crap called FFVIII.

Flag Post

No, WoH is the way to go. Only way to achieve easy farms. Though honestly, tweak the power changes so we can farm those who spec purely for WoH. Drive their power much higher, they obviously don’t care about the actual game so give us a way to utilize them.

Flag Post

I actually prefer WoH to the actual game, so not too surprising new player are attracted to this. Its way more FUN, require more thinking. ;)

Flag Post

Each has it’s pro and con and both of them get boring the higher end game you are. If you can’t pillar raid then WoH. If you can do both then great. I see both of them as unique and seperate from each other that unfortunately take from each other.

But yea, LS is right. I hear way too many people talking about firing their lvl 50 hero’s so they can get a lvl 10 that’s a different class

Flag Post

I agree, sort of. One big problem with this though is the way the game is structured. You ultimately will use 5 purple heros for the main game, so it almost feels like..why bother worrying about non-purples too much?

I have one purple. Eventually, that will be the only fighter that I keep. It will take like 3-4 months, but honestly, that isn’t THAT much time imo since I play other games. All the blues that I am leveling are going to be cycled out for purples at some point.

I’m not hurting for ore. I do a small amount of pvp, but mostly visiting/woh. The main incentive is crystals for better spell cards. I’m not even really trying to progress until I have 5 purples(MAYBE 3-4, if I get really impatient) I’m only building up my cc’s and taverns. Since the build times are getting kinda long, I’m finding that I am able to keep up just fine with the costs.

It’s a fault of the way this game is, you ultimately scrap all but your purples, so I feel like I don’t really wanna put the effort into it until I have a few purples.

Flag Post

Myself I admit I have some extra Blue heroes with War only so I can have some nice Rogues on WoH. A fixable problem which shouldn’t take long to fix anyway.

WoH is the fun part of Time World if you ask me. What’s the fun on PvPing/Pillar Raiding? It’s just a video of you killing/being killed by a bunch of ships… It takes no strategy or skill at all, just get more War/Comm and you’ll be done with it.

But yes, it does damage the new players.

Flag Post

The only reason I’m here is WoH – I tried the main game months back and decided it was quite forgettable.

Yet, I see alot of new players who can only be put off and driven away by being annihilated in WoH. At its best it’s a fine sub-game, just embarrassingly unbalanced most of the time. I’d actually be apologizing to many of the people I come up against if there was any way to contact them in-game.

As to the main game, it has a horrible plot, embarrassingly bad dialogue (who wrote this crap and do they still have a job?) the game design itself, to put it kindly, leaves a lot to be desired. And we have to play it to be good at the other game? How much pain must we endure to be able to do the thing we like?

Flag Post
Originally posted by StuartK:

The only reason I’m here is WoH – I tried the main game months back and decided it was quite forgettable.

Yet, I see alot of new players who can only be put off and driven away by being annihilated in WoH. At its best it’s a fine sub-game, just embarrassingly unbalanced most of the time. I’d actually be apologizing to many of the people I come up against if there was any way to contact them in-game.

As to the main game, it has a horrible plot, embarrassingly bad dialogue (who wrote this crap and do they still have a job?) the game design itself, to put it kindly, leaves a lot to be desired. And we have to play it to be good at the other game? How much pain must we endure to be able to do the thing we like?

TRue dat homie!

Flag Post

New players generally do stupid things because they don’t care to learn what to do.. WoH doesn’t change that. Funny thing is most of these people still suck at WoH..

You’re right that people shouldn’t ignore the main game, but they shouldn’t ignore WoH either. Planet 5 pirates with a 2x card gives 4m exp for all your heroes…even builders/techs. (And that’s all in addition to res and random chests when visiting) Hard summoner set gives me an extra 7% ship bonus.

If you do it right, you can do well in both areas. I made my most recent L1 purple veeren into war/com so that when equiped with all command items war=command, but when equiped normally (basically all my war/build blues since she’s obviously not my best hero) she’s at 169/464…..with some stat points unassigned in case I get some more command items/gems

Even with the full blue set I’ll do my 0 AP summoners for res/coupons.

That said…….WoH PVP is a total waste of your AP. Don’t do it.

Flag Post

Im hoping the next update will focus more on the main game this should put WOH in its place as a side option.

Flag Post

well, while choosing/stating hero for WoH is, in my opinion, a mistake, the other stuff mentioned isn’t exactly a problem.
AP wise, before you complete chap 8ish, visit IS the biggest part of the game. If for nothing else, to level your heroes. And frankly, once you are done with that part and pillar/PvP will actually pay off, I think you would know what the game is about and can make educated decisions.
With that said, unless you are lucky to roll a random purple, you would usually get your purples AFTER you are at such a point. Frankly, making horrid mistakes on your greens is no harm done, and one or two mis-stated blues is not a huge loss neither.

Flag Post

in General i agree with most of the above. WoH defiantly needs to take a step down as part of the game, but perhaps that is only because it harbors more action that a player can control than in the main game. personally i like WoH as it is, and i enjoy the main game (even lackluster and poorly written dialog).

I am very disappointed that a side game would draw so much attention from the main game, and enough to draw payers FROM the main game solely into itself. Yes i love the 4mil planet 5 raid! i used it all the chances i get. It has become the most reliable way to level up heroes.and why not, a side game should help you in the main game shouldn’t it? Above all though, WoH serves its intent i believe, too efficiently. WoH, from my understanding, was meant to allow players to do something in the void of time that there is no AP. A way to keep players on when they are waiting for something to level up. it did that. The fault of WoH is how much it becomes it’s own game however. the prizes do not truly do much for the main game, so it seems detached. It also catches players early who do not appreciate the main game yet. i have a feeling if players needed to be in a certain chapter to do it, much like gem raids, there would be less focus draw from the main game. New players need to get a feel for TW before they see WoH or they will focus on it for heroes and more. The main game needs more attention than WoH is allowing, there is a problem with that. WoH is well made, too well made however is still a problem

Flag Post

But is it really an unspeakable horror for someone to play a game purely for the side game?
I once played a game purely to read the story and immediately stopped after finding a site where the story is available w/o playing the game….
Just because you play a game for one reason(and possibly the primary sell point of a game) doesn’t mean everyone else have to, and it doesn’t hurt anyone as long as they are having fun.

And the concept of nerfing an aspect of a game because it’s “too well made” is just absurd, shouldn’t the focus be instead on how to improve the main game so that it can get back the attention it lost to the side game?

And frankly, the early part of the game is when WoH is really needed, to power level heroes. Once you get to the later part of the game, it’s not as important anymore so delaying its availability will greatly reduce its purpose.

The proper course of action is to make the space battle have a little bit more “dazzle” One possible method would be making the battle controllable, with possibly a bit more defender advantage (such as emplacement power boost) to even out the extra advantage that would give to the active attacker. When I first joined the game, I thought the ship battle is a tactical battle on a grid (due to the img on the front page) tbh I’m rather disappointed overall… There is VERY little tactic in this game outside of WoH, hero specing is almost the whole of it. It won’t do any good for anyone if that is further reduced. So let’s ask for more fun in main game battle instead of the alternative.

Flag Post

ill admit i did not clarify entirely. your right the PIRATE part of the WoH game is good for low levels, i was actually focused on the arena, which is 1, crowded by high level players who troll the beginners anyhow.
As for saying the WoH was well made, i actually like it a lot, i agree the main game needs more sparkle.
as for changing the main game for more control, it has been asked for many times (and i too have thoughts about controlling it such as hero targeting presets, but that may be a different forum to discuss on)
It is no unspeakable horror, if they do we cant blame them for going after the side game, but it truly is distressing to see a side game taking so much focus from the main game. if people do come for just the side game, fine we get more farms from Command heavy users. its just disappointing to see. if PM makes the main game more interesting, wonderful, if not we have annoying newbies hooked on WoH. at least they are here, but it reminds me of Gem hunters, just more players in the way with no care for the game itself

Flag Post

I don’t even view it as a side game. I view Time World as a game broken into two halves. Either way, you are grinding all the same. MMO’s are just a game of endless grinding.

We all need build heroes if we hope to build stuff in a reasonable amount of time. All 4 build hero classes have a place in a deck.

We all need war heroes too, and all 4 war hero classes have a place in a deck.

Command heroes generally stink. A lot of people like the warrior, I do not. Paladin sucks. Knight sucks. Guardian is the best of the lot, but even then it is kinda meh. If you have command heroes, you probably have them for the “main” game.

Tech heros are terrible in every way.

I think that both games work together very well. You generally want mostly war and build heroes, and those are the best WoH classes too.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

I don’t even view it as a side game. I view Time World has a game broken into two halves. Either way, you are grinding all the same. MMO’s are just a game of endless grinding.

We all need build heroes if we hope to build stuff in a reasonable amount of time. All 4 build hero classes have a place in a deck.

Command heroes generally stink. A lot of people like the warrior, I do not. Paladin sucks. Knight sucks. Guardian is the best of the lot, but even then it is kinda meh. If you have command heroes, you probably have them for the “main” game.

I think that both games work together very well. You generally want mostly war and build heroes, and those are the best WoH classes too.

warriors are insanely powerful in woh raids. reduce damage by 3? All dino’s are melee, even with range, so only the 4 attack ones can damage you.

as for tech, jesters and deadeyes are rather powerful. I particularly enjoy deadeyes ability to attack mobs behind tanks

Flag Post
Originally posted by nvillian1:
Originally posted by bobby71983:

I don’t even view it as a side game. I view Time World has a game broken into two halves. Either way, you are grinding all the same. MMO’s are just a game of endless grinding.

warriors are insanely powerful in woh raids. reduce damage by 3? All dino’s are melee, even with range, so only the 4 attack ones can damage you.

as for tech, jesters and deadeyes are rather powerful. I particularly enjoy deadeyes ability to attack mobs behind tanks

Only purple warrior reduces by 3. I would take a purple warrior if for no other reason than a purple seer and fighter are not significant improvements over blue. If its blue or lower though, I want a fighter or a seer.

I tried playing with a jester and deadeye once, the deadeye doesnt feel like anything special for its 3 wait turn, and jester’s little gimmick doesn’t really feel like it offsets the low hp. I am not impressed by the tech classes for any race. jester and deadeye to me both feel like a case of “other classes do it better” and they don’t waste a hero slot on tech.

Flag Post

jester’s little gimmick is only part of its use, one of its other function is that it’s the only hero that can deal damage to opponent main char on the same turn it is summoned. in non-team(raid or arena) situation, that could potentially turn the tide of battle, especially if you have blue/purps that deal 5/6. it’s often times more effective than warrior as a rush (especially against 4th/5th planet pirate, whose insane OP spells make your fighter hp advantage pretty much useless)

deadeye… long as it can afford the wait, it’s better than fighter IMO. so unless you are building a rush deck(and it have to be rush focused if you are facing the harder enemies, or you will run short and die), you can probably find a place for it.

thou blue warrior doesnt have 3 shield, 2 shield with 10 hp still allow it to absorb at least 2 spells, often 3 or more against the strongest enemies. it works rly well with seer, you can deploy the warrior first to absorb enemy spells, then roll out the seer so it’s less likely to be nuked in one turn and thus able to survive almost indefinitely on drain. that’s the primary purpose of com hero IMO, to drain enemy skills so your other stuff can surivive

Flag Post

How did this turn in to a WoH strategy guide?

Flag Post

Because Bobby71983 started talking about building heroes in a deck. He then went on to list his ideas. Than nvillian1 replied with his ideas, than Bobby71983 replied back, and now deathvonduel. Here WoH is there to to level up a bit and get some items also. After awhile when you are a high level you need better means.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LordShoe:

How did this turn in to a WoH strategy guide?

It’s really not.

I was saying how both games work together with each other. I have a decent WoH deck, without it making my heroes weaker. 5 war-1comm-4 build. None of the heroes are “dead weight” in WoH, and all 10 have a use in the fighting part of the game.

Flag Post

I just said that

Flag Post

Noticing it, KINGK (playmage) is trying to steal Tyrant’s idea, and gain popularity over tyrant.