[Redshift] Official: Feature Requests and Suggestions

110 posts

Flag Post

This is a new thread for the (massively updated) new build.

Flag Post

Hi,
first I have to admit that this game has a lot of potential and I cant wait ti see the full version! (without bugs). The bug problem seems to be taken care of decently, so I have good hopes for the future.
A few things I would like to see:
- Please do something about the fuel system. I can mostly play only 5-15 min before I have to wait for another hour to fill my fuel. Then again only 15 min of gameplay. Regarding that you want to earn money with this game, which I can totally understand, please consider that this affects gameplay too much. It gets really annoying that you play for around 10 min then have to wait for 1 hr. My total fuel is 120 which shouldnt count as very low, but its still too less to have a fluent gameplay. I suggest that the basic fuel is 200-250, the fuel costs stay the same and the refills with special coins are a little bigger, i.e. 50 fuel for 1 coin.

Flag Post

Another means of balancing the fuel system would be to increase the fuel cost to move through systems, but then either reduce or remove the fuel costs needed to fight. As it stands now a fight between two ships with 800 or more hullpoints can go on for 10-15 rounds (even a bit longer if theres a lot of misses). This by effect means some missions you actually need to take a break and come back, because the relevent targets require so much fuel to take care of that you cant handle them all in 1 go. Limiting the ability of people to play constantly to curb powergaming is fine, but having it to such an extent that a single mission requires more than a single full fueltank to complete is excessive, to the extent it will make people quit.

Not knowing how high you intend to ultimately make the level cap I’m not too sure about this but the training times for skills seem extremely long, with even the basic skills taking over 2 days to train to lvl 5. As I see it the current setup is that training time increases x5 each level. Whilst ok for lvl 1-4 this will quickly become ridiculous, assuming the x5 increase remains constant the time taken to train a skill from lvl 9 to lvl 10 will be roughly 18.5 years. I’ve observed that skills seem to have multiple variations of the same name (I currently have hull hardering 1-3 visible for example), I assume this is some means of alleviating the issue of the spiralling training times but it makes more sense to me to simply lower the time it takes to train.

All figures apply to the skills that have a lvl 0-1 training time of 5 minutes.
A system were training time increases by a factor of x3 would result in a training time for a skill from lvl 9 to 10 of approximately 68 days
With a x2 the training time would be 42.6 hours, which is still long enough to be strenuous to advance further, but not excessively so.
A x1.5 training time however would result in a time of 4.8 hours for a lvl 9-10 training.

Depending on your aims of the ultimate complexity of the skill tree the multiplier being between x1.5-2 strikes me as the better option, if the plan is to have skills in tiers (such as the 3 hull hardening skills mentioned above) perhaps modify the training times so that they rise dynamically, such as having the tier 1 skill with an initial training time of 5 minutes, the tier 2 skill with a time of 10-30 minutes etc. This will result in each tier being markably more time consuming than the last, but will still result in progression of a moderate pace even into the midgame, and only slowing in the later game. This will aid progression, which by effect will likely help player retention since people like to feel their moving forward at a suitable pace and also result in a wider variety of skill setups late to endgame, which will result in more interesting pvp interaction.

Right now this is an enjoyable game, I like playing it, experimenting with new weapons, supports, ships etc. The main gripe is the very sluggish pace at which the game progresses. A feeling of progression is important in games like this, I’ve been playing for 3 days and already I feel as though my advancement is slowing to a crawl, and at times a virtual stop, an experience that ideally shouldent be felt at all until a couple weeks in, and not to the extent I feel it now until several months in.

When it come down to it the bottom line in all games like this is money, as the game dev you want to earn money for your work, I and others like me as gamers appreciate good work and myself and others will appreciate your work sufficiently to spend money on it to further our enjoyment of the game and further development, I used a handful of spare kreds I had available to purchase some of the special coins and proceeded to buy fuel boosts with them to allow me to move through the game easier, now what I spent has been used up and I almost feel as though spending more is required to maintain a steady level of advancement. This is really not what you want, certainly not so early into the game at any rate. Very few people are willing to blatantly throw money at a game to advance anyway, even less will do it knowing that their gameplay will basicly grind to a halt when they run out of ingame premium currency. Smoother progression will result in a more content playerbase, and players who are enjoying the game are much more likely to give you something back.

I appreciate this is a quite substantial wall of text and that I have perhaps even been overly harsh in my critisicm of the game, but this is already a solid game, with good graphics, enjoyable gameplay, a respectable storyline hammered out thus far and the all important customization element that everyone enjoys already quite well developed.

Too many games have died an early death due to malcontent amongst the playerbase, and frankly with the current speed of progression I can see this being torn apart on full release to the rest of Kong.

~Silver

Flag Post

Here are some (not so new surely) ideas:
- some trade platform, where you can trade ores and equipment
- some guild/clan system, maybe class depending, i.e. clans or guilds that get bonuses on fighting/mining/trading etc.
- rare drops from bosses like schematics for special equips or components
- dimension portals to fight special space monsters or other races (like instances)
- maybe some colony system, or own spacestations ?

I know that most of this stuff can sound like what youve got in another games, but the idea how to implement that and which background does it have makes a lot of difference for the gameplay, as well as to the players :)

Flag Post

I have to agree with Patrolord and Silver, about the Fuel issue. But, like to add maybe that if there was a asteroid or world that might be considered unstabled that people use to take a risk in re-fueling or a certain amount of raw ore or taken to a manufacture to be processed into fuel.

Originally posted by patrolord:

Hi,
first I have to admit that this game has a lot of potential and I cant wait ti see the full version! (without bugs). The bug problem seems to be taken care of decently, so I have good hopes for the future.
A few things I would like to see:
- Please do something about the fuel system. I can mostly play only 5-15 min before I have to wait for another hour to fill my fuel. Then again only 15 min of gameplay. Regarding that you want to earn money with this game, which I can totally understand, please consider that this affects gameplay too much. It gets really annoying that you play for around 10 min then have to wait for 1 hr. My total fuel is 120 which shouldnt count as very low, but its still too less to have a fluent gameplay. I suggest that the basic fuel is 200-250, the fuel costs stay the same and the refills with special coins are a little bigger, i.e. 50 fuel for 1 coin.

Flag Post

We’ve done a lot of playtesting and fuel has not really been a major issue for us. What causes fuel to be the bottleneck?
a) Jumping between systems
b) Long battles with a few enemies
c) Short battles with a lot of enemies
d) Scanning/activating various mobs

This will help us figure out what needs to be balanced. Thanks a ton for the feedback!

Flag Post

I would like to see the ability to team up with a few friends and be able to go fight bosses to get item drops

Flag Post

Hi again! I now found that theres a skill which increases your max fuel per percentage. I think that its new and actually is a good balance to the fuel limit. The combination of fuel increase with +5 fuel and +2% really makes it possible to have some good max fuel value in the future. Thanks a lot for that!
Concerning the fuel issue from my opinion its the various fighting that can get annoying if every time you actually hit the enemy it costs 1 fuel. Would make much more sense to me if every fight would cost 1-2 fuel or even some cost relation to the kind of enemy ship youre fighting with, i.e. small = 1 fuel, middle = 3 fuel and so on. The cost of fuel for every hit is just too much for a more fluent gameplay when your mission is to kill 10 enemies or kill 3 big enemy ships with a lot of hp. Taking down 3 big ships costs around 50-100 fuel depending on your equipment and so on.
My personal wish would be to have a base fuel of 150 not 100 :) increasing this becomes much easier, because as someone pointed out, skill leveling will take up too much time for skill levels from around 7 on. It may take months to increase just another level! I think thats too much. So increasing your base fuel by 50 is possible in the first month but all later levels will have problems because the fuel cost for fights will increase drastically with higher levels. Thats strongly not in relation to your fuel increase.
Summary… the issue seems all kind of battles to me. Scanning, mining, jumping fuel costs seem appropriate. So my suggestion is not change fuel limit, but maybe change the fuel costs for fighting as I mentioned before.
The skill leveling for higher levels seems still an issue to me.
And thanks for taking care about the stuff we mention here!!

I just have another idea concerning the skill leveling:
How about you half the level bonus as well as the leveling time? It will mostly keep the same this way but the players will get more a feeling of advancing forward. Having some skill development time of a week can make someone really depressed XD

Flag Post

here you get my “this game is too much pay2win award”…and before i even spend a buck on buying anything in this browser based game, i put the very least $ for 30 tokens in EvE online, where i have the real thing and can play even for a month continuosly…

better think abt it, before you make a similiar game, just as browser based game, when there is the original thing…

else it’s a fairly nice game for 5min, then even with energy optimation rang3 you cant play for long…

maybe if you adapt an eve online … you should also implent “learning skill tree” to reduce the learning time… come on 11hrs to get to lvl4? ridiculous…

Flag Post
Originally posted by synapticon:

We’ve done a lot of playtesting and fuel has not really been a major issue for us. What causes fuel to be the bottleneck?
a) Jumping between systems
c) Short battles with a lot of enemies
d) Scanning/activating various mobs

1. Mostly b) and its hard finding enemies, even harder to find enemies that are worth eliminating.
    What it comes down to is that fuel is used inefficiently, similar to an American muscle car’s use of fuel (no offense).
  2. Star Tokens have a horrible rate. A Lv.15 ship hull for 300 Tokens is roughly the equivalent of 45 USD. Not to mention that changes to in-game items are made without player’s knowledge any time the developer sees fit (stat, quality & token/credit changes).
    Shop sells more Token items than it does Credit items, where Token items are excessively superior to the Credit items.
    The shop also removes purchase from store and adds new purchase every time a player ranks up, sometimes removing important items you would still buy at your level.
  3. An incapacitated ship hull roughly quadruples the cost of repair for your ship, which you can only really make back by doing more quests, because gears are not worth selling and enemies give near to none credits. Since there are only a limited number of quests, it is advised not to become incapacitated as this will hurt your capacity to buy new gear from shop immensely.

Suggestions:
- Cut back on that fuel inefficiency in battles.
- Galaxy Map to have a more accurate threat-level meter per system so you can track down npc enemies faster, instead of having to visit every system for a few enemies that generate maybe 100 exp total when you need 3000 to level up.
- Apply a more reasonable Star Token ratio and broadcast item changes on forum in advance.
- Give quest items more use by making them upgradeable or of excellent quality.
- Shop needs to retain more usable items for sale.
- Need to be able to exchange fuel for Credits or Tokens, as both are too limited in availability.

Flag Post

DONT dock, when you are chatting (not moving your ship) – with some small popup saying something like..
Youve been inactive, do you wanna dock (yes, no) – with a couple of mins interval

or maybe just make the box smaller, and not overruling the chat..

Flag Post

No offense, but some of us have really, really crap computers. Can you add a quality button?
Also, just wanted to point out a major flaw in this game, traveling through space does not require fuel. Did you really think they had enough fuel to send the voyagers from Earth to Mars?

Flag Post

1. Longer AFK timer. (Synapticon said in next update! :D)
2. Skill queue.
3. Skill queue.
4. Lower energy usage in battle. [Maybe give each enemy ship a fuel cost, instead of per-shot?]
5. Tiny tiny chance for Star Tokens when doing stuff.
6. Something to do without fuel. Anything. Even if it’s just playing pong for credits.
7. Random events.
8. Kamikazi Medic Transports.

Flag Post

Hi again! I now found that theres a skill which increases your max fuel per percentage. I think that its new and actually is a good balance to the fuel limit. The combination of fuel increase with +5 fuel and +2% really makes it possible to have some good max fuel value in the future. Thanks a lot for that!

you need all three fuel optimisation skills at level 10 (which will take forever) to to have max fuel of 250, only after then does the +2% skill offer more than +5 per level

Flag Post
Originally posted by synapticon:

This will help us figure out what needs to be balanced. Thanks a ton for the feedback!

I’m guessing you loaded up on the best weapons for that level? between shields and enemies having 2-3x the hp i have battles take forever to finish and eat up fuel like mad. try repeating your tests using credit buyable weapons instead of start point ones. and dont constantly upgrade the ship/support.
Im level 11 (just) in my brand new falchion. 320 hp and im faced up against level 14 reaper destroyers with 580hp. not only does it take me 7 fuel for absolutely nothing, then i need to travel to repair, travel back to try again, not to mention credit costs to repair. the game simply penalizes you for not paying for it. not once, not twice but every single fight takes longer, forces more repairs, more failures with no advancement not to mention kills your fuel supply so you can play less. it seems like if you are already losing you just keep losing.

Flag Post

Idea: Make every ore different (Thorium,iron,…) by giving it a color cuz now u gotta mine to see what u get.

Flag Post

Smoke: They do appear differently.

Syn: Put fleet chat in a separate tab.

Flag Post

Can I please request that any pilots that are out of our 2 level limit and cant be attacked or attack us show as blue triangles rather than red?

I currently see red triangles with fliers 3 or 4 levels under mine (i think anyone above level 5 shows as red) even though we cant attack each other. In cases where someone is doing missions its helpful to keep an eye on any red triangles coming your way so you can fight back.

Thanks for considering this request.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Smoke: They do appear differently.

Syn: Put fleet chat in a separate tab.

Yeah, just noticed… it still would be better if it had other color tho.

- Special weapons/ support for better mining.
- Achievements
- Building a own jump platform so u can jump at a certain place without paying fuel.(manufacturing facility)———> would cost a LOT of materials tho , others it would make the game to easy.

Just some ideas so dont go rage-ing on me

Edit: Maybe you should be able to see who is targeting you? (maybe in a upper corner)?

Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

1. Longer AFK timer. (Synapticon said in next update! :D)
2. Skill queue.
3. Skill queue.
4. Lower energy usage in battle. [Maybe give each enemy ship a fuel cost, instead of per-shot?]
5. Tiny tiny chance for Star Tokens when doing stuff.
6. Something to do without fuel. Anything. Even if it’s just playing pong for credits.
7. Random events.
8. Kamikazi Medic Transports.

Agree with all of them, especially 2 and 3.

For the fuel: maybe they should make fuel only for jumping and then higher the fuel prize, just an idea.

Token: Maybe when u kill a enemy u should get a tiny tiny chance to get 1 token.

Flag Post

Instead of tabbing through targets
a) filter out all – untargetable targets – eg. players lower level than you, that you cant attack.
b)
hotkey f: tabs through people in your fleet
hotkey e: tabs through people within pvp level range
hotkey a: tabs through people in other fleet
hotkey r: tabs through asteroids.
hotkey q: tabs through quest targets.
c) dont require entering the jump gate on the screen. let us press the system name between credits and tokens e.g. sirius to jump to a different system.
d) add a text listing of all the systems you can jump to in alphabetical order with quest targets highlighted and at the top
e) selling items: allow typing instead of a drag bar.

Flag Post

Idea 1
Merchant skill:
This would reduce the cost of purchasing items by 3% per level(after 3 levels you can train Merchant skill II )

Idea 2
Increase NPC spawn rate, relevant to pilot level
Currently the NPC spawn rate is terrible resulting in not having enough targets unless you are on a mission. I suggest to increase the spawn rate by 3 NPCs every 2 minutes. But those NPCs will be relevant to the pilot level so if you are level 10 your NPCs will be level 10-15 if you are level 20 your NPC spawned will be level 20-25. These will NOT be bosses just normal NPCs but will be good targets that can provide a little challenge and more fun in the game.

Flag Post

sorry couldn’t edit my above post but I had another idea.

Every 20 levels you can reincarnate. WHen you do so you revert back to level 1 all missions are reset but you keep all skills, items and credits PLUS you Unlock a new Skill:

Reincarnation I. this trainable skill gives 2% bonus at tracking and evasion per level (max 5 levels)

If you manage to reach Level 25 having unlocked reincarnation I the first time you can unlock Reincarnation II

This skill will give the developer breathing space from those who have reached the end game and say there is nothing else to do…if thats the case they can reincarnate and redo missions and enjoy leveling up once again…

Flag Post

Fleets could use a lot of orginazation.

-Firstly a counter that shows the number of members currently in the fleet.
-An option to sort the members by rank/level/online would be must appreciated.
- A sort of officer/sub rank would better improve fleet orginazation

These are simple but important features :)

Flag Post

How about an AutoBounty on your head if you kill a player in a mining ship.

The Bounty is placed by the Labour Union and equals 100 credits * level of miner you killed (so killing a level 20 player in a mining ship would place a 2k bounty on your head).

If you have a bounty you will show up as a purple triangle on the map (or any other color) and you have no protection even in protected sectors, until you are killed and the bounty is collected.

Flag Post

Btw plot is good! keepup! enjoyed reading.
So i reached bump lv19 with onlyPvp/mining left. All real b.sys revealed to me in all shine and greatness..with sole buy max gun use max gun shine..dead end.
How could this be fixed?How could this game be really good to return and play some more hours for pvp or q?

What is space sim? for me it’s privateer,X,tachyoon(best imho),spacerangers,x-com,elite etc.(old titles)

^Infidels!! Shields not need reps and must be visible with separate bar!!
)different damage types particles(lasers(mazers),photon,etc),missles,bullets(including gauss)
)different weapon/support equipment sizes!(why would you buy new “league” ship?To install bigger modules!)
)Supportive system must not be left useless, it must directly affect dps/dps def!
with power to shift combat results(very good if power generation will be used to restore shield/recharge weapons inbattle(or affect dps)).
)Trade/mining system! at least make different items manufacture buy at different locations.
)Galaxy system = only trade /manufacture stations + few close nodes must be safe pvp zone! Galaxy nodes number must be at least 5x more (even for 75 kong players,even with mining only nodes,would be good if with every new player new node created).
)Energy use/balance – bigger cannons more energy used, smaller cannons =less. This will distinct destroyer/fighter/cargo type ships. Energy can be buyed for res that dropped mine/npc. Energy used on Pvp = not restored but you will get pvp only items like tags/bounty.
)Bounty System = factions. Players can place bounty on other players(yes privateer system). + faction will auto increase system bounty on player that killed their ships.
)Repeatable Quests bad idea, player/faction generated much better.
IF you want something bigger even greater timekill game.. putin planet-to-planet trade, really random stats on drops(including ships).
This how things works in spacesim. my personal note you probably will not write quest line quick enough,so concentrate on b.sys first.