[Afterwind] Recent Change to Premium Features

23 posts

Flag Post

I logged on today, as a fairly new player and wanted to test something on my own. Oh, what’s this? A premium tab on the create game menu – they must have updated the game and added lots of shiny new things!

Oh wait, no, they’ve just ruined my game instead. I can no longer set up team games, private games, set a rank restrictions and various other things which severely limit the game for someone unwilling to throw money at any game they come across. Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand that you need to make money to pay for the servers and continue developing the game – but don’t do it in a way that’s going to discourage new players.

What happens when high levels decide they are going to go and fight low levels and thrash them? I’ll tell you – the low levels get frustrated and leave the game – so they need to be able to set min/max ranks. It’s a fact that people who get frustrated with something, more often than not, simply stop partaking in said activity. You’ve also stopped free accounts from creating private games – something I like to do as a new player is to create a private game and test things out. If a new player can’t do this it’s going to add to the frustration.

I also can’t set up team games? You’re kidding right? Why don’t you just restrict my game to black and white only? .

Now you might be thinking, well it’s only $12 to get these features… ($20 if you take into account you can’t buy $12 worth of kreds, you have to buy $20 worth) As a fairly new player myself, I love this game. Sure there are a few improvements I’d like to see but on the whole it’s great. However, I am far from considering myself as a loyal/dedicated/addicted player of this game and to get to that position I need to be able to play a game for a matter of weeks without it losing my interest and until that point I refuse to spend money on a game that I don’t know I’ll even be playing in a weeks time.

This update is not in your best interest from a financial point of view because it removes basic options from new players and only serves to increase the possible level of frustration they will experience. This, in turn, will result in fewer people who become loyal players of the game (who we all know spend the most money on a game, for prolonged periods of time).

Please re-think this, for your own games sake.

Flag Post

I agree with this guy

I joined, thought the game was nice. Until I realized the extra options are only temporary…

Flag Post
Originally posted by squiddy:
I need to be able to play a game for a matter of weeks (1) without it losing my interest and until that point I refuse to spend money on a game that I don’t know I’ll even be playing in a weeks time.

This update is not in your best interest from a financial point of view because it removes basic options from new players (2) and only serves to increase the possible level of frustration they will experience. This, in turn, will result in fewer people who become loyal players of the game (who we all know spend the most money on a game, for prolonged periods of time).

1 Weeks? Are you serious? Even if you’re not playing the game every week, it’s still a one time payment thing. Basically, it means you can come back any time you feel like playing. And even if you just don’t like it enough for ever coming back (which the odds are really low, let’s be honest), it’s not like you’ve never bought something you don’t really needed, is it? It probably is worth more than a fast food dinner. It’s certainly healthier for your brain, anyways.

2 I agree here. But I don’t see that as a huge problem if it’s well announced that things are temporary. Maybe they should have a flashing warning or something :P

Originally posted by Firebats:

I agree with this guy

Until I realized the extra options are only temporary

So they are temporary. It (should) give(s) new players a “trial period” where they can evaluate if they want to spend money on the game or not.
And even if you can’t create rooms with the extra options, you can still join games with those options. Not that bad, huh?

Flag Post

1 To understand the type of community that makes up the population of the game, the overall effects and balancing issues with paid items, whether the game has longevity, whether development is regular or stagnant and again whether the updates are made to increase playability, longevity etc or just to make as much money as possible. Yes, all that and much more takes weeks. Does everyone do that? Of course not, which is why we have so many crappy games floating about, however, when I do find a game that satisfies me on all levels I will throw money at it like no ones business.

2 It’s about being able to compete, if people aren’t playing your game, they are playing and spending money with someone else’s and I would very much like to see this game succeed and develop. I debated with myself whether I would be as frustrated if I had joined the game after the update and never had access to those features in the first place, and I decided that I probably wouldn’t care as much, however, due to the fact that some very basic functionality has been removed from the game it would definitely have caused frustration – which isn’t that hard to find if you’re looking for it in order to not waste more time on a game that won’t satisfy you in the long term.

Flag Post

1 To understand the type of community that makes up the population of the game, the overall effects and balancing issues with paid items, whether the game has longevity, whether development is regular or stagnant and again whether the updates are made to increase playability, longevity etc or just to make as much money as possible. Yes, all that and much more takes weeks.

Usually, all those things can be looked up at the forums (they always keep an “updates” thread, for example), and I’d say a week is enough to get a grasp on all that by playing. Although I can understand your concern, I’m just thinking all that time is not really necessary. But, hey, that’s just me.

2 It’s about being able to compete, if people aren’t playing your game, they are playing and spending money with someone else’s and I would very much like to see this game succeed and develop. I debated with myself whether I would be as frustrated if I had joined the game after the update and never had access to those features in the first place, and I decided that I probably wouldn’t care as much, however, due to the fact that some very basic functionality has been removed from the game it would definitely have caused frustration – which isn’t that hard to find if you’re looking for it in order to not waste more time on a game that won’t satisfy you in the long term.

Yup, I see your point. Definately not a very good idea to “take someone’s rights” away. Maybe he could have let the people who joined up to that update keep the features they alread had? Wouldn’t be that bad, I think.

Flag Post

relly?
complaining about the temporal features?
they add that temporal feature to the game, 1 day after they launch on kongregate, (2012)
and afterwind start in 2009

acctually you can get free premium, i post a tutorial to get free kreds.

Flag Post

I quit because of this, i hate when its made like this

also i like turtles

Flag Post

Same, I liked it untill we couldn’t make private games.

Flag Post

Umm…am I the only one who is actually paying for this by doing mindless surveys? I mean come on people. It’s only been one day and I’m up to 70 Kreds. Kongregate makes it as painfully easy as possible for the poor college students out there…

Flag Post

Guys, with trustful treaties you have a team.
Now if they are random treaties, that’s your choice.

Private games, just tell your friends you are about to make it and they can see the game first if they are looking for it.
They will get in first.

They have to make money some way, personally I can destroy a payshuckle with my stealth.
Paying doesn’t do too much harm in this game, although it isn’t a good thing for us, but it is for the developer(s).

Just find loopholes.
Instead of team games, do normal ones.
Have your friends join the game, or let people know this is a team game 3vs3.
Put it in the title if you have to, find some way to do it how you want it.

If you have trusted treaties, there is no need for a forced team.

Flag Post

What?
I started this game yesterday, and I’ve spent no money on it.
I can create private games, set min/max ranks, and make team games.
Perhaps mine is bugged?

Flag Post

I thought we were being nice – giving new players the Options pack for while (we only started doing it on Kongregate). But apparently, it’s “100% free or nothing!”. I’m sorry, but we can’t provide the game entirely for free – at the very least, we have to pay for the server. Our monetizing options are limited, since we don’t want to sell units or upgrades (to prevent pay to win situation). What do we have left? Make some features premium-only. Make sure they are not absolutely essential, but still desirable enough for those who are willing to pay.

Flag Post

Until premium units that actually affect the game can be bought, I don’t really find a problem with this. Nearly all of the premium features are cosmetic or don’t affect the game directly, save for a pack that has some strategies and a unit that all can easily be countered by free strategies and units.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IvanStorm:

I thought we were being nice – giving new players the Options pack for while (we only started doing it on Kongregate). But apparently, it’s “100% free or nothing!”. I’m sorry, but we can’t provide the game entirely for free – at the very least, we have to pay for the server. Our monetizing options are limited, since we don’t want to sell units or upgrades (to prevent pay to win situation). What do we have left? Make some features premium-only. Make sure they are not absolutely essential, but still desirable enough for those who are willing to pay.

I really like what you have set up here. If i understand right for 120 kreds your set forever. There are games where you can continually dump money in to it and it’ll never end.

Flag Post

You gotta come up with other things to sell…. This is ruining the game.

Flag Post

They are charging practically nothing and it’s a great game. People seriously need to quit whining and just pay the $5. They made sure it’s balanced for you cheapskates and other than that they made a great game. Help them out and show some support instead of bitching about everything. If you cant afford 5 that sounds more like a personal problem. QQ

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheMachiavellian:

Until premium units that actually affect the game can be bought, I don’t really find a problem with this. Nearly all of the premium features are cosmetic or don’t affect the game directly, save for a pack that has some strategies and a unit that all can easily be countered by free strategies and units.

I fully agree with this. This is the ultimate solution imo.

Ofc. devs. has to make money some way; this way inflicts the least pain.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mike9780:

You gotta come up with other things to sell…. This is ruining the game.

It’s really ruining the game? REALLY?

Flag Post

I joined kongreagte when I could play every game they added daily it was tiny :) I remember when every game was free because that was what kongregate was about but it started getting bigger and they added help the developer button which was fine great even then they added kreds to pay for these new paying games which was annoying but there were only a few then they became more and more common now you run across a game on kongregate (what was originally a purrely free site) all the time its really sadening.

Flag Post

I’m not happy that some things were removed (my favorite thing removed was whole world matches) But i’m not going to go into angry rant. Sure, I’d love to have a few things back, but i understand where the developers are coming from. The easiest solution i’ve found is to ride on paid players: wait until someone posts a game with your wanted setting. i look for a whole world when i can, and it sometimes works. Sure, i was moderately upset, but it was no big deal after a while.

Flag Post

Quick question: when I try to view premium features from AW’s own site, it says that I cannot, and must view it from kongregate.

Are there differences?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Selow:

Quick question: when I try to view premium features from AW’s own site, it says that I cannot, and must view it from kongregate.

Are there differences?

Nope.

Flag Post

thnx.