What does this mean for me? You will always be able to play your favorite games on Kongregate. However, certain site features may suddenly stop working and leave you with a severely degraded experience.
What should I do? We strongly urge all our users to upgrade to modern browsers for a better experience and improved security.
We suggest you install the latest version of one of these browsers:
Kongregate is a community-driven browser games portal with an open platform for all web games.
Get your games in front of thousands of users while monetizing through ads and virtual goods.
Learn more »
Let me begin by saying that you’ve got a good game here. The fundamentals are balanced and the coding is solid. I’ve been looking for something else since burning out on Tyrant and this is a lot more fun than most of the other card games I’ve come across. I’ve enjoyed playing it and am looking forward to playing (and perhaps paying) more.
Mind you, all too often I’ve found myself in the following scenario:
1) I have 3 (or even, all 4) of my cards, and the enemy is down to 1 or 2, and my morale/energy total is still roughly equal to the enemy’s.
2) In the endgame that follows, I actually lose because it costs me more energy to hurt the enemy than it costs him.
So I’m owning the battelfield but I still lose???
Like, once my badass cleave guy kills the guys in front of him, because he’s 4 energy and 2 Power he actually become a LIABILITY because his 4 energy hurts me more than the 2 damage he’s doing to the enemy. And the rest of my troops don’t actually help, since the 4Power guys are also 4 Energy, and the 3 Power are 3 Energy, so they hurt me EQUALLY as much as they hurt the opposing deck.
I’m sorry to say that this is quickly becoming a gamebreaker for me.
However, there are many easy and simple tweaks that can overcome this.
1) Get rid of the energy concept entirely. (Okay, you probably don’t want to do this, so this is a bad idea, but we’re just getting started!)
2) Readjust all Energy stats so that instead of E= Power, it’s more like E = Power – 1.
3) Double the amount of starting energy. (This seems simple enough, since it seems better that only in extreme cases should energy start to be taken from Morale).
4) Give a bonus to morale when damaging the enemy. (This could be as small as +1 morale whenever a creature hurts the enemy directly. Or it could be as large as equal to damage done. This way if you’ve got a 3 on 1 scenario, the side with 3 cards standing has an appropriate advantage.)
5) Okay, this, I think is the best suggestion: INCREASE the bonus from killing a card!! Right now it’s an insignificant 2 points. Why so low? Killing a single card is 25% of the opposing force. It could be at least equal to power. Or DP. Or, even better (and this, I think, would fix the game permanently) equal to HEALTH. Kill an 8 health knight, get 8 points to morale. Why not? Killing the enemy would increase morale, and the tougher the enemy, the greater the boost.
Okay, there’s a lot to think about, I know. But please please please do something. If I lose another 4 on 1 endgame, I don’t think I’ll be coming back too much.
Also, I know that I’ve just started the game and for all I know the high-level cards solve this problem, but you’ve can’t give new players frustrating losses like this and expect to rival Tyrant in popularity.
Thank you and have a Great Day!!
First of all thanks for your comments and feedback.
It looks like a lot of players have gripes with the morale balancing. So we are already in the midst of tweaking the costs of most of the common and uncommon cards and we are already considering some of the suggestions that you are proposing particularly the 5th one. Thanks for your input.
the morale and energy system is actually pretty balanced starting midgame, for beginners its a bit off tho. but cleave certainly counts to the decks which win by killing all opponents, thus u most likely lose if u cant make it.
any big changes to starting energy would completely destroy this balance^^ same goes for 5th, it would boost the power of attack decks to much, so if its being considered the changes would be quite small, like 3 or 4 morale per kill, but certanly not bonus = ec cost or health or something alike^^
Yeah well, this game is just too unforgiving during low level progression to be much fun. I am going with Knights, noticed achievements for my factions require I use all Knight decks. . .Which makes it virtually impossible to get anywhere. First time a gold card pops up, my uncommon filled deck folds. Easy world raid is impossible without the guy who snipes Protean for six each turn, and even then its a coin flip. Really want to make me happy? When in story mode, let me cancel a random draw instead of being forced to play it out. I know when I pull three knights and a baron am going to lose, why waste three minutes of my life to rub my nose in it?
I started out with alliance decks too. Pick up a Knight’s Rush and a Knight’s Assault, and you’ll be tearing through story missions and low level dailies with a full deck of uncommons. I started off with a knight or two, the fearghal from reward, barons, and Keane, and that did pretty well for me for quite some time.
you dont really need all knight cards to do the alliance archievement, it just has to be any alliance cards, there’s the possibility of spamming healers and overruns or something alike, too.
And for the world raid, it was just a simple tank needed to win this, something like hyperion or anyhting with tough :) (because the opponent would have lost due to energy burn, all his cards were extremely expensive)