[Clash: Rise of the Heroes] % chance mechanics

12 posts

Flag Post

I wanted to quickly describe a popular mechanic in CLASH that uses a random number generator to determine whether or not something “hits” or not.

As an example, many cards have a mechanic called AIM, which gives the card a 50% chance of doing X extra damage. In this scenario, when the card is played, invisible dice are rolled. 50% of the outcome on those dice are a miss, and 50% of the outcome are a hit. Whether or not the AI or a real player is using the card does not make any difference at all. The card has logic built around the action of the card, there is no logic in our game that determines “is this an AI that is playing the card?”.

We sometimes have players complain that certain cards are not resulting in a hit often enough, and that surely something must be wrong. There is a very real reason for this thinking… you can learn about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

:)

We have tested all of our cards with a simulator and our rng is working properly.

Also, some cards like Master Reflexes, give the target a 50% chance of evading an attack. So what happens if 2 Master Reflexes are played on the same target? In this case, they stack. So, if an ally attacks your Hero, who has two Master Reflexes on them, then the first Master Reflex will trigger, and if it doesn’t work, then the second Master Reflex triggers. So you basically have twice the chance of having one of them trigger.

Hope this helps clarify.

Flag Post

thnks dude for typing this bec i thought the mechanic was broke but now by following the link i now understand thnks again

Flag Post

Ummmm… This may just be me, but whenever I play Lulu, Thulu goes to the leftmost open spot. However, it says on the card that Thulu goes to a random spot. So is he supposed to always go to the closest open spot to the left. Thanks.

Flag Post

It’s just you, i played Lulu at my right, and Thulu appeared right next to me (empty field)

Probably just consistent luck =P

Flag Post

If there was another hero in the leftmost spot, Thulu goes to the left of your hero. At least, that’s what I found. I might be wrong, but if Thulu does something different while I play, I’ll let you know.

Flag Post

Nevermind, I played Lulu and Thulu went right instead of left. Sorry for falling for the Gambler’s Fallacy.

Flag Post

So 5 battles vs Daily challenge Marshal Dae later..
ALL my 50% etc stuff missed.. I had two AMP’s running vs him often, used all kind of aim and crit cards.. ALL missed ALL battles.
His attacks that should do 2-3 etc EVERY TIME hit the max.
When I used master reflexes, even twice, ALL his allies and he ALWAYS still hit.
So I bet the % game mechanics are okay, if you insist. But there are some bugs out there which break them. Fix please.

Flag Post

See, that’s the funny thing about RANDOM: every now and then, it means “screw you.” And that means it’s working properly. If you flipped a coin million times or so, you’d see streaks of 20 heads in a row from time to time. And that would be properly random. (In fact, that’s one way to tell the difference between “truly random” and “what some person thinks is random.” A truly random set of coin-flips will have some long streaks in it.)

So congratulations! You just found a moment when the coin turned up heads 78 times in a row!
(Dangit, now Rozencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead is going through my head.)

Of course, people always complain about this sort of random, so some games actually make things less random. Some versions of Tetris don’t give random blocks: they give groups of the seven different kinds of Tetris blocks, randomly arranged. So you’re guaranteed to get, say, a line piece every 7 drops or so.

Flag Post

So you have master reflexes on the table.
1st turn you allready had 1 out. Say it works and enemy misses.
2nd turn and now you have 2 in play. So say enemy now hits. Which reflexes was it?

1. or #2 cause based apon this, #1 has the 50% happening while #2 has 0% going on.
    3rd turn and lets say enemy hits again. So #1 is working at 33% while #2 has 0% going on.
    4th turn and lets say there is a miss which that brings #1 at the 50% while #2 is at 33%.
    So now combining the 2 it is running at 3 times out of 7. Who knows what may happen next round, could it go 5 for 9 making it higher then 50 percent or could it go 3 out of 9 or 4 out of 9 making it less then 50 percent.

Flag Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_theory

Flag Post

is there any plan for cards that affect multiple targets to be changed on their proc rate?

ie. 75% chance for target to miss next attack…. it gets calculated once, then applied to all targets. Its seems a lot more intuitive to calculate the chance of the effect activating once per target. this would make the cards less luck dependent and overall more balanced no?

Flag Post
Originally posted by wasteroftime:

is there any plan for cards that affect multiple targets to be changed on their proc rate?

ie. 75% chance for target to miss next attack…. it gets calculated once, then applied to all targets. Its seems a lot more intuitive to calculate the chance of the effect activating once per target. this would make the cards less luck dependent and overall more balanced no?

It actually isn’t more intuitive, and wouldn’t be more balanced.