[Monsters' Den Chronicles] Random questions you'd like to know the answers to but are difficult/tedious to check:

110 posts

Flag Post

Post questions and answers for stuff you’d like to know here, but may take too long or are too difficult to check.

I’ll start off with a few:

1) Does clean slate wipe your stat tonics? it says in the description that it resets to base stats… seems costly to try and find out.

2) If you play with XP loss as the penalty, can you unlevel your characters in this way? and if so,
a) Does their equipment unequip if they aren’t high tier enough?
b) Can they drink another stat tonic?

3) Stat descriptions:
a) Does Str actually add Cause stun?
b) Does Dex actually add acc/evasion?

4) Since the monsters adjust their levels according to your party levels, couldn’t you like level up 4 characters, farm tier 100 equipment, use that special item that removes level reqs, and then let your lvl 1s wear that tier 100 equipment and completely own campaign 4?

Flag Post

Re: 4) I’m currently using that strategy right now with tier 25 equips on my lvl 12s haha.

also for my own question: Is there a level cap?

Flag Post

I don’t think there is a level cap. I know someone who played till level 147 (still going as far as I know) and he says it just keeps on going. I myself have the entire team around 40-80.

My own questions:
1. How is damage calculated? I know with a weapon it’s usually Weapon Damage + (Strength / 2) but this doesn’t apply to some skills like kick. I also want to correct some things in the wiki but I need to know this in order to do so.

2. Which is better for grinding gold, spamming Campaign I Beginner and killing everything in sight, or Campaign V Extreme and avoiding as many fights as possible? I’ve heard that your levelling is outpaced by gold earning, so if this is true then the first choice will get more benefits. If it isn’t, and upgrading your items via Apex Forge will outpace your gold-earning, then it’s better to avoid levelling up as much as possible while maximizing quest benefits.

3. Why the hell does Luminscent Rod freeze you when you kill someone?

I’m sure I have more later…

Flag Post

I’ve probably run through Act 1 and Act 5 each about a dozen times. In either case, I feel like I’m leveling too quickly (and not able to get enough apex forges). I decided to just give up on that and try to farm Sparks but I’m not sure which method is more efficient:

method 1: putting my lvl 75 equips, with the no lvl requirement enhancement onto my lvl 12s and going through act 4. one of those random bags every 5 waves with chance to get sparks that way. i will just try to go as long as possible so they dont level up in the mean time and can fight lvl 12 mobs the whole time.

method 2: buy architects plans. start campaign and use plans. if there is a mysterious shrine, hope it gives “gift of magic” otherwise exit and repeat.

i’m about to try method 1 right now but i’ve gotten 7 sparks just going through campaign and encountering mysterious shrines (not trying to farm them, just during the normal course of play)

anyone care to share a better method for farming sparks?

Flag Post

i’ve been spamming act 2 instead, since it “seems” to have sparks of legend more frequently, although this may just be my rng fooling me.

Flag Post

So far it seems that if you want to farm by killing stuff, make sure you get Flawless EVERY time. The +2 items really add up over time. I think I’ve landed around 10 items sometimes. At the end I find I usually have to apex around 2 tiers per item by the end of the campaign so that’s usually about 20 Forges per char or 40000 gold each. My team is usually made of 4 so that’s 160k down the drain. Not tooo bad considering I get around 3-400k a run, but still a sizeable chunk.

I’ve found it hard to farm Sparks. In total I think I have around the same amount of sparks as you do. Also, mysterious shrines CAN be found in hidden rooms. Gahhhhh. I think you would go broke if you relied solely on architect’s plans.

Flag Post

Also, is doing act 4 at all (other than for the achievement) a good idea? Because it seems from the way stat tonics are used, you can only use one per level, and if you level up before you use one… you are missing out on stat points.

Like, eg. say you reach lvl 100 through normal acts, you can use 1 stat pot per level to get like 200 additional stats (assuming this 800 renown pot is the best one >_>), but if you do act 4, you tend to get multiple levels at once so you end up with much lower stats isn’t it?

@relgar, now that you mention it, how DO you get the flawless result? The game isn’t really clear on what you need to do to get it. I’ve gotten it quite a few times in ways I thought were prettttty much identical to how I got Blitzkriegs (which for some reason have the same reward as Dominant)

Flag Post

From what I’ve read tonics only can be drunk once per level up – meaning that regardless of how many levels you had BEFORE, you can still only drink one. To get the Flawless result you must fight a group of 3 or more and take zero damage.

Flag Post

Where is the secret door?

// ahh, silly me, I found the skeleton key!

Flag Post

on the issue of combat results: do you know what the reqs for other ones are as well?

on the issue of act 4: That’s precisely the problem i’m referring to. If you do act 4, you get multiple levels at the same time and no way to use a tonic in between, so wouldn’t you end up losing out? or do the stats not really matter so much later on?

Flag Post

Yeah, probably bad idea to do Campaign IV if you’re after tonics.

Dominant +10% exp, +1 item is if you take very little damage.
Blitzkrieg +10% exp, +1 item is if you finish in very little time. I don’t know how much time exactly.

*Also, Flawless also applies if you take retaliation damage. As long as the opponent doesn’t score a hit that does damage on you during their turn, you’re golden.

Flag Post

Ok so I just got done with 200 waves of act 4…phew.

I got 40 of those dimensional pocket things and after opening them up, I got 5 sparks of legend!!!!
I don’t know if this is the usual drop rate, because if it is, this is an incredibly reliable way to farm sparks. very happy :)

//edit: I just tried the other method I mentioned earlier of using architects maps in dungeons to hunt for mysterious shrines and I have to say that it’s much faster. Maybe I’m just really lucky, but so far from 11 mysterious shrines (out of 40 maps): 5 were equipment, 3 were experience, and 3 were sparks. (this may or may not make a difference but this is on act 1.)

Flag Post

I will follow your example with 40 maps and see where I land… wish me luck!

Edit: Looks like you lucked out. Out of 40 maps, also on Campaign 1, I only got 7 shrines, out of which only ONE was a gift of magic :(

Flag Post

you might just be really unlucky :(

because I continued doing it and total of 7 sparks from 34 shrines out of 140 maps. slightly less, but similar ratio to earlier numbers of 3 : 11 : 40

Flag Post

Used the method with architect’s plan to farm 3 sparks after reloading campaign one 50 times. Was on lady luck’s good side today apparently.

Flag Post

Farming the campaign is much more effective for sure, you guys had the right idea. I read somewhere that pockets have a 20% chance of giving a spark but if that’s true… I have the worst luck in the universe.

Flag Post

on extreme hardcore:

8 times on act 2, no shrines.
6 times on act 1, 1 shrine, which was a spark of legend.

Wanted to perform more tests, except I ran out of scrolls of deception because I forgot deception scrolls are only sold once per restock >_<.

so now trying on beginner so I can actually kill my way to shrines quickly.

On a side note: THERE REALLY NEEDS TO BE A CHECK THAT STOPS YOU FROM USING ARCHITECT WHEN YOU ALREADY USED IT ONCE X_X I accidentally clicked it again instead of a deception scroll… and Bam 2000 gold down the drain for nothing revealed… sobs

on beginner:
act1:
10 maps
2 shrine
1 martyr
1 spark

act3:
10 maps
2 shrine
1 martyr (death)
1 wisdom (exp)

act5:
10 maps
2 shrines
2 sparks

Flag Post

Here’s another question some may have been wondering:

Q: What happens if you have 3 enhancements in a socketed item and then apply gambler’s dice to it?

A: The last 2 enhancements go poof. including their bonuses. >_<

Flag Post
Originally posted by RedeemedWahrior:

2) If you play with XP loss as the penalty, can you unlevel your characters in this way? and if so,

3) Stat descriptions:
a) Does Str actually add Cause stun?
b) Does Dex actually add acc/evasion?

4) Since the monsters adjust their levels according to your party levels, couldn’t you like level up 4 characters, farm tier 100 equipment, use that special item that removes level reqs, and then let your lvl 1s wear that tier 100 equipment and completely own campaign 4?

2)No. You can’t loose level.
3)As Garin said somewhere, it works like stun = (base str + bonus str) / (str curve). Str curve based on level. So, if you equip tier 100 items of Strength on 1 level character, you can notice increase in stun chance.
This feature was implemented by request of betatester and I am not sure that this was balanced at all.

Flag Post

Gremlion, it is sort of balanced. The way the game works, you can never get much of a secondary bonus from stats. Those bonuses are always scaled to your level, and they have low maximum values. For example, Dexterity add your Dexterity divided by your level to your Accuracy and Evasion stats. However, the bonus is capped at 10%. This means at level 30, 300 Dexterity gives you +10%, and 30 (the lowest you could have at that level) gives you 0%.

In other words, unless you pump a quite a bit, you won’t see any bonus. And if you do pump it a lot, you’ll wind up “wasting” points. It’s kind of annoying as it means characters won’t see much difference in secondary bonuses, but it does keep those bonuses from being overpowered.

Flag Post

for now, I have just two brief questions (something I liked about Monster’s Den II)
1) Your party – There are two slightly different choices for each charakter, but you can’t chooce a party of four rangers (one of my favourite in MDII). With this data saving system It seem to be impossible. any chance it will change?

2) I really miss poison enhencements. Haven’t seen any yet and I finished all acts several times. Are there any or is it only the poisoning attack (attribute) of weapons?

thx

Flag Post

“1) Does clean slate wipe your stat tonics? it says in the description that it resets to base stats… seems costly to try and find out.”

Just tested this, and the answer is no. You keep your stats from tonics.

Flag Post

on the issue of combat results: do you know what the reqs for other ones are as well?

on the issue of act 4: That’s precisely the problem i’m referring to. If you do act 4, you get multiple levels at the same time and no way to use a tonic in between, so wouldn’t you end up losing out? or do the stats not really matter so much later on?

For Dominant you have to complete in less than 10 seconds and take little damage (don’t know how “little” is defined).
Blitzkrieg I’m not sure about.
Flawless is if the opponent doesn’t hit AND damage you (you can be hit by a knockout dart for example and still get flawless). I’m not sure if the retaliation damage would count if you were hit by a knockout dart (or some other non-damaging ability)

Originally posted by rahsossprout:

I’ve probably run through Act 1 and Act 5 each about a dozen times. In either case, I feel like I’m leveling too quickly (and not able to get enough apex forges). I decided to just give up on that and try to farm Sparks but I’m not sure which method is more efficient:

method 1: putting my lvl 75 equips, with the no lvl requirement enhancement onto my lvl 12s and going through act 4. one of those random bags every 5 waves with chance to get sparks that way. i will just try to go as long as possible so they dont level up in the mean time and can fight lvl 12 mobs the whole time.

method 2: buy architects plans. start campaign and use plans. if there is a mysterious shrine, hope it gives “gift of magic” otherwise exit and repeat.

i’m about to try method 1 right now but i’ve gotten 7 sparks just going through campaign and encountering mysterious shrines (not trying to farm them, just during the normal course of play)

anyone care to share a better method for farming sparks?

The best method I’ve found for farming sparks uses a specialized retaliation damage build on Lucius (the cleric with benediction) then sending him and a lower level character into act 4 on beginner difficulty. You can clear the waves very quickly and get a TON of dimensional pockets, then open them for shards. I think it’s a roughly 1 in ten chance of getting a shard from a pocket, possibly higher.

Originally posted by Dwarwen28:

for now, I have just two brief questions (something I liked about Monster’s Den II)
1) Your party – There are two slightly different choices for each charakter, but you can’t chooce a party of four rangers (one of my favourite in MDII). With this data saving system It seem to be impossible. any chance it will change?

2) I really miss poison enhencements. Haven’t seen any yet and I finished all acts several times. Are there any or is it only the poisoning attack (attribute) of weapons?

thx

2) Nope, no poison enhancements

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gremlion:
3)As Garin said somewhere, it works like stun = (base str + bonus str) / (str curve). Str curve based on level. So, if you equip tier 100 items of Strength on 1 level character, you can notice increase in stun chance.
This feature was implemented by request of betatester and I am not sure that this was balanced at all.

so… in other words “no.. because the only time you can see a stun chance increase is when you have equipment that will prettty much 1 hit any enemy anyway?” >_> <_<. what was the point of even coding it in then lol.

on another note, are there any enhancements for Retal Damage/Physical Resist/-Skill Cost / Free Skill Use ?

Flag Post

so… in other words “no.. because the only time you can see a stun chance increase is when you have equipment that will prettty much 1 hit any enemy anyway?” >> <<. what was the point of even coding it in then lol.

You are massively exaggerating things. All it takes is ten Strength per level, and you get one per level automatically. That means you only need to find nine more Strength per level you gain. That’s not hard.

The real issue is the secondary bonuses are very small. At ten Strength per level, you only get a 5% bonus.

on another note, are there any enhancements for Retal Damage/Physical Resist/-Skill Cost / Free Skill Use ?

There is a Runes of Protection which gives 1% Damage Resistance (all damage, not just physical). There is also a Rune of Warding which gives 3% Magic Resistance. But no, there are no enhancements for the other three.