[Warband] A Warmonger's Writings (a brief guide to the game)

5 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys, Bob10110 here. I’ve begun my travels through another world, fighting off savages and other warbands. The tutorial covers much of what you need to know, but I hope that my own personal insights and strategies contained within these writings may someday be used against me to further your experience with the game. ;)

That being said, let’s get started. And where better to start than with the tutorial?

Frequently Asked Questions

(NEW!) Q: How do I level up in this game?

You can level up by defeating enemies or finishing quests. Experience gained is currently proportional to the Power of the warband you fought.

Q: How do I control my units in combat?

Controlling your units is fairly simple:

• Select an individual unit by clicking on it or pressing its respective number (1-5) in the top right.
• Select a group of units by dragging a box around the units you want to select.
• Move your selected units by right-clicking. (My condolences go to Mac users and others with a one-button mouse; hopefully a patch comes that allows you to actually do stuff in the game.)
• Attack by right-clicking on an enemy unit while you have units selected. They will try to attack the unit you have selected.
• To use special abilities for any unit that is still alive, you can click their images on the top right or press their respective letter (QWERT).

Q: How do I find the world map?

To get access to the world map, you will first need to “deploy” a warband (send it out into the world). This can be done from the Manage Warbands menu at your Barracks. Once you deploy a warband, the World Map will be unlocked.

Q: Okay, now how do I select my warband on the world map?

To select a warband on the world map, you can either click it, press its respective number (1-8), or click its respective image in the quick-select tabs (displayed to the right side of your level).

Q: I defeated an enemy but didn’t get resources?

If your unit wins a battle and loots resources, you do not get these resources until the warband makes it safely back to your camp alive. If your warband is defeated before then, you will lose most if not all of the resources they are carrying. To get your unit back into your camp, move it next to your base and there will be a “Return to Base” button on the left side of the screen.

Camp: Your safe haven in the wilderness

It is said that a strong castle makes a strong army. That is at least partially true; you cannot train more powerful units without upgrading certain buildings. You are allowed to upgrade a single building at any given time. Below is some general advice for figuring out which building you want to upgrade next:

• The main purpose of upgrading the Castle is to be able to upgrade other buildings further, although you will get an additional resource gatherer of each type at Castle rank 3 onwards, it seems. This building is easily the most time and resource intensive project you can take on.

My advice: Upgrading the Castle does little for you in the short run. Save it until you really need to do it to advance.

• The Barracks holds Warbands to defend your Camp with. In early game I would probably not go past a rank 2 Barracks because you should only ever need to send one Warband out to farm the NPC Savages. In later game, there may be some bosses that require multiple combats to take down and so having many teams available to grind its health down faster can really help.

My advice: Upgrade the Barracks only if you find yourself running out of Warbands (from defending your base or from attacking enemies).

• There are two pairs of buildings that influence how well you can train units. The (Mage/Fighter) Hall increases the max rank of that type of unit you can train and on top of that lets you do research on their abilities as well. The other building (Artificer/Blacksmith) outfits your units with better equipment.

My advice: Upgrade the Hall before upgrading its respective equipment outfitter. You can upgrade a building and research a skill improvement from your newly upgraded Hall at the same time.

• Resource gatherers are pretty great in early game and can get you off to a nice start, although an active player will find the Savages give plenty of resources.

My advice: Upgrade these buildings if you find yourself in need of more resources. Look at the resource you’re in need of most and upgrade that first (which will likely be the Quarries that produce Stone). Try to balance the levels of your resource gatherers since all resources are needed in plentiful quantities.

Battle Tactics

So now you’ve built up a castle, and from that castle has emerged your warbands. You’re eager to do battle. That’s what the game was designed for, after all.

Hold up a moment, and figure out just exactly what it is you want to battle. Low level enemies may be easy to stomp, but the resource progression in this game is fairly steep. You don’t want to waste time fighting a Savage that drops less resources than you’ll spend on healing. But you also don’t want to waste your time fighting something vastly above your power either, unless it has something that you really desperately want.

Ideally, I would aim for something just below my warband’s Power — 100-200 points under is my general rule of thumb. With NPC Savages, this is easy to tell as you only need to click on them on the map to see their Power. With other players’ warbands, however, this is harder to see as their castles show the Power of every warband they have garrisoned. Initiating battle against another player’s castle will take only their first available warband (checking slot 1, then slot 2, and so on) which may end up being weaker than yours. The chances of winning shown to you should give you a rough idea of how difficult the fight will be.

Sometimes, you may want to opt to do automatic battles instead of manual ones. Doing this guarantees that you’ll either win, or that the enemy’s units will each take damage proportional to your chances of victory (so it seems — I can’t quite confirm this yet). Damaged enemy units will improve your chances of victory the next time.

Most of the time though I much prefer to do manual battles. Each unit has a specific strategy that goes along well with it:

Warrior: Tanky unit with high armor and HP.
Paladin: Moderately balanced unit that can support the party with heals and buffs.
Ranger: Squishy unit that deals large damage and has an armor penetrating skill.
Mage: Squishy unit that either deals significant Area of Effect damage, or can support by stunning an enemy unit for a duration.

I find a full party of a single unit type serves me quite well. There are certain strategies that can counter mine, but a full party makes it easier on me to work out my own strategy.

(the paper is torn at this part…seems there’s a fragment missing)

Flag Post

(reserving this post for future content)

Flag Post

nice guide

Flag Post

This seems like an adequate place to put up the experience charts!

1 0
2 600
3 1000
4 1500
5 2200
6 3000
7 3900
8 4900
9 6900
10 9900
11 13900
12 18900