[Backyard Monsters] How to Create a Successful Alliance

68 posts

Flag Post

How to Create an Alliance:

Before starting an alliance, please take into consideration the workload you’re about to receive. After making your thread as troll-proof as possible, which will still bring trolls, you’ll be bombarded with people wanting to join (hopefully!). Each of these people will expect you to tend to their every need and concern. When they get bored you’ll have to deal with their incessant need for war. You’ll also have the newbies that you’ll have to teach how to build their base, pros that will want you to prove your worth, and more! Your allies will want to know what your future plans are, and your enemies will be trying to crush you as you turn every corner.

I haven’t dissuaded you from creating your own alliance? So be it.

Steps For Creating a Successful Alliance:

1. Before even creating a thread for your alliance, make sure that you’ll have people to join! Otherwise you’ll just become a worthless thread that people will troll-fully bump for absolutely no reason.
  2. When starting to create your thread, make it in a Word document first. This helps you structure your alliance before it is subjected to the Backyard Monster community. They’re ruthless.
  3. Do not forget to include a GOOD alliance title, picture that goes along with your alliance, a history, some form of requirements and application form, ranking system, and rules!
  4. After these are created, begin your member list. Make sure that you promote the first few members that join so they feel special.
  5. It always helps to have allies. I do NOT recommend spamming every alliance thread in hopes of finding friends! Prove your worth!

Final tips and tricks:

• Formatting. Formatting is your best friend. If you don’t have formatting, your thread will barely make it off the ground.
  • Do not spam chat with your alliance thread! You’ll only attract unwanted visitors.
  • As I said before, make sure you already have friends to join your alliance.
  • Have a backup plan if you go AFK for multiple days. People will leave instantly if they notice you’re absent.
  • Thanks for reading this. I know there are many more things I can tell you, but I’m tired of typing, and you’re completely capable of figuring out the rest on your own.

~Spyder

I was thinking to myself… Boy, this would be very useful for all of these new people instead of GearsChicken, dvdwen, and a few others from trying to teach them every time a non-thought-out alliance appears.
    Why had nobody made one of these!?

Flag Post

Alliance Responsibilities

Many of you may be thinking “Wow, that sounds easy! I can make an alliance now!”

Let’s put things into perspective.

Here are the responsibilities you’re about to take on:

• A good leader needs to be active enough to maintain and operate their alliance efficiently

• In order to create a successful alliance, you need to be active. Your thread will be getting a lot of attention that could either be good or bad. Depending on what people are posting, take notes! While trolls troll, they usually give you a few pointers about what they like, and what needs to be changed. If you create your thread, and then come back online 12 hours later, you’ll have a lot of posts that need your attention! Trust me; It’s easier to deal with an hours worth of posts than 12 hours worth of posts.

• A good leader must know a general level of knowledge about each alliance that is active during their leadership

• Know everything you can gather from the threads of the alliances that are alive while yours is! While you might deem this useless information right now, you might have people declaring war on you, or asking for peace. You want, and need, to know details about your fellow alliances so that you can make fair and decisive decisions.

• A good leader should do their best to know each of their members

• You need to know your members. If one of your members messages you in chat, or on the forums, you should know who they are! People join alliances to feel like they’re a part of a group. If you, the leader, don’t even know who they are, their spirits will be crushed. Try learning a bit about each member that you recruit. Know their base, and comment on it! Be helpful. As leader, you should be knowledgeable about the game enough to assist your fellow members if they need direction.

• A leader should act and operate professionally

• Let’s be honest. Nobody wants to even read a thread that doesn’t look nice. If nobody reads your thread, well, you’ll be ignored and gone within 24 hours. Format, format, format! Formatting is your best friend. Learn about it a bit! Here’s a thread that will help your formatting immensely! Formatting is truly the difference between a thread taking off, and being forgotten.

The same goes for you, as a leader. Members want to know that they have a sensible leader heading them in a good direction. If they see you spamming in chat, spamming in the forums, or just plainly acting like an idiot, nobody will listen to you. Use proper grammar. Do your best to use punctuation and spell things correctly. It’s understandable that many people whose first language isn’t English, but be prepared.

• The first page of posts needs to be updated frequently!

• Remember those first 5 posts in a row you created to tell people about your alliance? Yes? Those posts need to be updated frequently! If people notice that your alliance hasn’t been updated for a few days, you’ll start losing the public’s attention. Make a point to check the front page daily to at least check to see if updates are necessary. Keep an eye on your members list too. People quit the game everyday, and you don’t want inactive members clogging up your precious members list. Having excessive amounts of members is nice, but if they’re all inactive, the argument is mute.

• The first few days of your new alliance will be the toughest

• One of the most important notes for your new alliance is that the first few days will be the most busy! New members, trolls, transferring members, and people that are just plain interested in seeing a new alliance will be visiting your page on the first day. Make sure that it’s ready for the public’s eyes when you post it! I recommend testing your page in Microsoft Word before you post it to the forums. Be ready for criticism, and a lot of it. Have a few placeholders ready to put important information. While you might not see a reason for it currently, you will need more room as your alliance expands! Be ready to be the most active the day that you create your alliance. You will need to edit the members list, hopefully, multiple times!

Flag Post

Sections for your New Alliance

As you’re starting to create the thread for your new alliance… you might think to yourself:
    “What do I need to include?”
    I’m glad you asked!
    Here are a few sections that are mandatory. Anything else you decide to include only helps boost the chances of your alliance being successful.

• Name

• The name of your new alliance is like the cover of a book. While people shouldn’t judge you by the name, they will. Make sure that the name you choose is something that will get people’s attention. Check and see some of the other alliances that have existed, and base your name off of that. The more interesting the name you choose, the more people that will be attracted.

• Picture

• Have a picture that sums up your alliance! While people will read about your alliance, many of the users in the community really enjoy pictures. If you have a picture that grasps people’s attention after they’ve started looking at your thread, the more likely they’ll continue to read further down the page.

• History

• A history for your alliance can’t be something that you make up on the spot. There should be a reason that you created your alliance, and people that look at your thread will want to know! Whether it’s a simple explanation, or in-depth, just make it truthful. Possible members might just relate to why you created your alliance.

• Requirements

• Have some standards for your alliance. Many players that start playing Backyard Monsters are simply in it for the badges. These users will quit playing after they achieve the badges. If they’re only in it for the badges, they probably won’t post in the forums too often, but be aware! Level, town hall, champion level, maturity, and a decent base are generally the accepted requirements. It’s up to you on how to judge these requirements.

• Application

• You should find out a few things that you’re interested in knowing about your applicants. It’s different for every player. You need to outline an application for people to fill out that are interested in joining your alliance. Whether you stick to the generalized “Map Room? Champion? Level? Town Hall? etc” or decide to ask more in-depth is up to you. Your application could be as simple as a person posting “I want to join your alliance.”

• Ranking System

• Your ranking system should allow for people to ‘upgrade’ per say. Nobody wants to join an alliance to only stay at the same rank forever. People will enjoy bettering themselves and their standing in your alliance! If you’re unable to be as active as a leader should be, create some positions that require a bit more responsibility. Don’t assign these to anyone. Make sure that you have trustworthy people working for your alliance.

• Rules

• While your members should understand that they are the face of your alliance, it seems like many people don’t. It’s much easier when you set out a certain set of rules for members to follow. Let them know your standing on spamming, inactivity, immaturity, and anything that you feel is important.

Flag Post

How to Recruit for your New Alliance

When you begin recruiting for your new alliance, you might get excited about anybody applying. You need to be careful! There are a few things you should check for.

• Usual Suspects

• What do I mean by usual suspects? There are a number of people who jump from alliance to alliance. They don’t stay long, and they are not useful members to have within your new alliance. Most posters will notify you of a person who could be dangerous to your alliance, but you need to be proactive as well.

• Check latest posts

• In order to know who is applying to your alliance it is best to check their latest posts. These will never lie. You’ll be able to see a ‘picture’ of who you’re about to recruit or deny. It will give you insight into whether their past posts have been useful, worthless, or just plain spamming.

• Rankings

• For your first few members, try and give them a leg up in your alliance. If you accept 5 new members into the lowest rank in your alliance, they’ll be very put off. While people are still getting to know your alliance and while you’re new members might not be all that you hoped for… give them a chance. They’ll appreciate what you’re doing for them, and hopefully, they’ll return the favor later.

• Spammers

• Like I mentioned in checking people’s backgrounds, there are spammers in the Backyard Monsters community. You truly need to think to yourself what kind of person you’re trying to recruit. Keep in mind there is a difference between high post count and spamming. It’s up to you to decided what the difference is. Your members represent your alliance on the forums and in chat. Make sure that they’re acting the way you want them to before you allow them to join your alliance.

• Trolls

• Trolls. What can you say about trolls. There are a lot of them. Make sure that whoever is trying to join your alliance isn’t already in an alliance. A lot of trolls will put in fake applications to alliances just to screw with new leaders. Make your new alliance thread troll-proof. While this is a difficult feat, it can be achieved. Follow the advice that I’ve given, and it shouldn’t be too hard of an accomplishment.

Flag Post

Useful Tools for your Alliance

Chatzy

Chatzy is a useful site for you to create your own chat room for your alliance. If you feel that anything you need to say to your members in a chat-style format that cannot be on Kongregate, use Chatzy. You can even password protect your channel if you need!

Formatting Guides

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Formatting is one of the most important parts of an alliance. There are multiple guides for formatting, but I feel like this is one of the best for what you’ll need to do.

Create your own forums

There are many free forum sites. All you have to do is search “Free Forum Creator” in google, but I believe that this is one of the best and easiest tools to use. Use this if you feel like you need a forum of your own to post, manage, and optimize for your alliance.

tinypic

Tinypic is a great resource for uploading pictures. This can be used to post avatars, your alliance picture, and whatever you’d like to post a picture of. Make sure that you use the “HTML” format to copy and paste.

Flag Post

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

The rest of this thread is now reserved for exactly what that title says. Please post your questions, comments, and criticism.

While that was a lot to read for any potential new alliance leader, I believe that it was as comprehensive as possible, and covers every nook and cranny.

Flag Post

Glad to see you’re adding more, I will certainly enjoy reading it :)

Flag Post

An hour later – I’m finished. Now you can read it, Death ;)

Flag Post

Golco cheers for Spyder!!

Good job Spyder! great guide! Well, it looks great, haven’t read it yet xD

Flag Post

This guide is good, whoever can follow will have a chance…… But, just one problem, most failiance leaders don’t read forums. But, I hope this thread gets read by all. ;)

Flag Post

Wonderful.
    If this doesn’t get stickied, nothing will.
    Thank you for taking your time to make this, Spy. ;)

Flag Post
    Originally posted by dragonologist23:

Wonderful.

As long as people still post it should stay on first page of forums.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by ZomboticEvil:

This guide is good, whoever can follow will have a chance…… But, just one problem, most failiance leaders don’t read forums. But, I hope this thread gets read by all. ;)

I am soo tired of fail-alliances ….

Originally posted by xXsaosinXx:
    Originally posted by dragonologist23:

Wonderful.

As long as people still post it should stay on first page of forums.

Get outta here dude…

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Spyder:

An hour later – I’m finished. Now you can read it, Death ;)

Great job, spyder!

This should probably get stickied for multiple reasons: It gives people knowledge on how to properly make an alliance. This will hopefully reduce the amount of failiances, thus reducing the BYM forums cluster of new threads in the future.

It also shows people how hard it is to run an alliance. This will earn us hard working alliance leaders a bit of sympathy :P

Flag Post

good one

Flag Post

Ah well, great guide Spyder, it’s quality is comparable to other good ones that there have been(Though they dealt more with the not getting targeted by others and such, while yours seems to focus more on the workings of an alliance) still…with luck, it’ll get bumped for quite some time…

However, apologies for bringing negativity…but there are things I felt like adressing:

1. To everyone talking about sticky…not happening, the number of players in alliances on kong is extremely small when compared to the total number, as such, a thread that wouldn’t be able to benefit most of the community wouldn’t be granted the benefit of being sticked. (Yes, Spyder didn’t talk about this directly, but many others did)
    2. Sadly, as it is seen from many people making threads, most don’t read things prior to the creation of one, this is easily seen when someone makes a question, while the question thread is sticked and should be the first place they’d ask that…now, with this guide not being that lasting, I’d feel it’d affect even less people…

But…well, I really don’t intend to shoot down this idea, it’s well-made and a needed atempt at something many want…hopefully I’d be proven wrong and this has effects…

Flag Post

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

The rest of this thread is now reserved for exactly what that title says. Please post your questions, comments, and criticism.

While that was a lot to read for any potential new alliance leader, I believe that it was as comprehensive as possible, and covers every nook and cranny.

Suggestions:

-How to create successful forums?

-How to create signatures in forums?

-Forums scripts and create forums? “http://www.hotscripts.com/forums/” and “http://www.w3schools.com/”

-Create fonts, effects, database, events, 3D? (FireBird for databases)

-Make/Install gadgets in your sites?

-Share documents? (Scripts, Sites that allow that, Google Docs…)

-More chatrooms suggestions and how to make one?

-Steal Html by viewing source?

-Ranking System/Statuses update in sites?

-Sectors List?

-Dividing Power?

-Adding an update log (important changes to alliance) ?

-Advantages of using alts as a leader and have a common e-mail for you and your co-leaders?

-Making successful alliance peace treaties and alliance war declarations?

-Increasing alliance reaction time?

-Increasing coordination and consistency of the alliance?

-Advantages of separating the work into tasks and have multiple groups?

Flag Post

I won’t be donig any of that, fug. There’s absolutely no point for 99% of those. In fact, I’ll even address every one of your points.

Has nothing to do with an alliance. Most leaders won’t even go there.
    You can’t use signatures on Kongregate, so no point.
    No.
    Who needs any of those? This all has to do with an external forum. I simply gave it as an option. That all could be its own guide.
    Share documents, scripts? Yes, let us teach everyone how to use Charles, too!
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Sectors list? I don’t even…
    Dividing power – That’s the purpose of the ranks, and I gave people a basic template on how to do that.
    Once again, I gave people the necessary areas. They can add what they will.
    Nobody likes sharing accounts.
    Alliance reaction time? I don’t even semi understand that.
    That’s advanced once the alliance is actually up and running
    Did you just get out of 5th grade with that?

There’s no point for any of those. I’m simply showing people a definition of each thing that is necessary to get an alliance off the ground. None of your suggestions have anything to do with that. I noted your suggestions from the last thread, but these won’t be making any appearance in this.

Edit: If only crankdat actually read the posts ahead of his… Btw, I thought you quit. Go enjoy your life.

Flag Post

Fudge, that’s great. Ux,ok I see how you got that so everyone this probably won’t be stickied. Spyder,best work ever. I hope riot read this…..

Flag Post

looks good

Flag Post

Edit: If only crankdat actually read the posts ahead of his… Btw, I thought you quit. Go enjoy your life.

Well…

Originally posted by crankdat:

Ok guys,I’ve decided to stay.(for reasons I can’t explain) But with a catch, I’m not joining a alliance right now.(srry death.) I’m now getting better at spelling and grammar. :). But if anything happens I’m here for you guys (my bym family)

So yes…just like someone else…he didn’t made it last even a day…it was quite…the pointless thing…

Originally posted by crankdat:

Ux,ok I see how you got that so everyone this probably won’t be stickied.

The first part was merely wording differently what mods said other times, that would be the fact…the 2nd one is more subjective and what I (Sadly) would think would happen…but who knows…I can be as wrong as any…

Flag Post

I came back because I wax bored,got a gf, and I can’t explain the others. But spyder and ux on a scale 1-10 on bym what would I be?(I bet it will be a 3)

Flag Post

I found once some kind of free database site that allowed you to create anything you want but there was some limitations with bandwidth for free users I think. There was many tutorials in this site. I can’t remember the name but it showed you that the database could allow users to have chat and play tetris together because of how fast it sent packets.

Wix have a friendly interface and it support scripting. Webs.com have lot of gadgets that you can use on your site but you can’t really create a site that will look somewhat great because most stuff is kinda pre-made so there’s some limitations while making the layout (how it looks) of the pages.

FreeForums is a really good forum platform that is used almost everywhere (Spyder’s link). WordPress and BuddyPress are also good. “http://www.warally.com/” was made for another of Kixeye’s game using those platforms.

There’s other good chatrooms like chatspace and xat chat.

Flag Post

I know. I gave a bit of extras. I was trying to focus on the basics. There needs to be some learning done. Not everything should be given to you.

Flag Post

Well this looks very good spyder, lets just hope this reduces the amount of future failinces created.