[Vorp!] Why Isn't My Iron Wolf Doing Damage?

7 posts

Flag Post

It looks really cool on paper. Homing missiles, really powerful twin lasers, laser wards…

And it doesn’t work in practice.

The safety timer on the Packfire Rockets makes the Iron Wolf a joke in a direct fight, halving the damage dealt if the rocket hits a target within one second of being fired. Unfortunately, direct fights comprise nearly all ship-to-ship combat. The crazy flight pattern they have doesn’t do it any favors; I’m lucky if half the missiles I shoot make contact with a player.

There’s also the Alpha Cannons. Man, they sound cool. In reality, 200 DPS at level 3 is completely forgettable compared to the other toys every other ship gets. While it’s failing to do damage to the target, it’s succeeding in killing the Iron Wolf – between this and the Packfire Rockets, the Iron Wolf depletes its energy at a rate comparable to the Angel Fire. I know the energy management is part of playing the Iron Wolf, but when you’re not doing damage on top of it?

The two problems combine whenever an enemy gets within sight – which, given the relatively small view of the battlefield you’re given, is pretty soon. If you’re in Alpha Cannon range, your Packfire Rockets do half damage. If you’re in Packfire Rockets range, your Alpha Cannons can’t hit the target. The CLaW may as well not exist – its damage output on anything not a turret is nonexistent. The end result is a ship that cannot fight at all against virtually any other ship. At least you’ve got Defensive Territory to prolong your demise or escape.

Something needs to change, since it appears to be common consensus that the Iron Wolf, next to the Angel Fire, is underpowered. I would suggest either increasing the amount of stored rockets on the Iron Wolf or removing the safety timer, as well as turning up the damage on Alpha Cannons. In addition, the CLaW is borderline worthless – why not just make it an auto-targeting laser turret that shoots at stuff and can be destroyed? It’d have much more consistent damage and would serve a purpose against enemy ships. If you absolutely MUST have the claw, I would suggest adding more laser beams to make it easier to land a hit, and reduce damage accordingly, so it just may hit a ship once in a blue moon.

Seriously, it needs a buff. I was eying this ship ever since I started playing, and I’m saddened it can’t dish out any considerable damage.

Flag Post

Wolfie underpowered? Common consensus? Amongst whom?

It is currently the ship with most survivability due to territory defense, which also makes it decent support ship and have nice DPS. And there is “common consensus” it needs buff?

CLAW useless? using L3 CLAW only (without using alpha or packifre) destroy turrets about as fast as hirudo with maxed circuit and necro, practically without any chance of being hit.

True, packfire is pretty much useless for everything but chasing enemy, but they still manage to get me 2-3 kills per match.

Alpha cannons are one of the highest DPS skills, hence the high energy drain. If you can’t dish out decent DPS from them change to circe or hirudo, or just work on your aim. And if you always go face-to-face combat fighting every other ship, you’re doing it terribly wrong.

Check the recently posted stats of KD ratio of ships and get your facts straight.

Flag Post

With Alpha Cannons, I usually try to make sure I am at the advantage when using it. It’s too risky to use as an initiating attack. That’s where the Rockets comes it, to soften up targets so you can go in and use the ACs. On the other hand, when using AC, try to not use your AB a lot.

Flag Post

KD ratios don’t mean much. I’ve scored 10+ kills in matches with the Iron Wolf. I also don’t believe it’s been free to play, which keeps it out of the hands of clueless newbies that die 10 times and do nothing else. Statistics don’t tell the whole story – you need to figure out how they got to the statistics before you start using them.

It doesn’t mean much – it still doesn’t do a lot of damage, the CLaW is only good for attacking turrets (which you yourself admitted, as you made no mention of its use against enemy players), and the rockets aren’t much good for “softening” players past the beginning. Everyone that wants you dead after the beginning is going to run straight at you, within the safety timer range of your rockets. 200 DPS sure sounds like a lot, but this implies you can keep a constant aim on the enemy. Against the ever-so-common Hirudo, whose entire combat strategy is to fly in circles and never get hit, this is not practical. Against other close range ships like the Jabberwocky, the Undolorean, and Angel Fire, this is still not practical, as they out-DPS you and can do so without being hit. Even then, 200 DPS by itself is pretty bad when you consider that other ships can bring much more of their loadout to bear on you to even up the damage. Unlike you, their main attack is hitting at full damage, and they have at least one other thing that can do massive damage. Given the high-energy management on the Iron Wolf, taking a few strong hits takes it out of the fight.

Yeah, Defensive Territory is boss. It doesn’t make it do more damage directly, though. Sure, you’re healing, but they’re regenerating and getting their cooldowns for their strong loadouts back. Is it really survivability if you get hit with the same powerful attack twice? Let’s just ignore that you can get unceremoniously shoved out of your Defensive Territory by canny players.

I can see what they were trying to do with the Iron Wolf – give it an option for long, medium, and short-range combat. It just doesn’t work out so great when every ship is better-specced for one specific range and does it better than the Iron Wolf. Spamming Territory Defense for allies and dropping CLaWs on turrets is probably its most effective contribution to the team, and I get a feeling that wasn’t what the devs were going for.

Flag Post

Oh, update!

Sowah made a claim that level 3 CLaWs, alone, can do enough damage to a turret to match Hirudo. As a man of science, I set out to test this claim. Seeing as how I would only need CLaWs to pull this off, I eschewed the Alpha Cannons entirely, leveling CLaWs at 2, 4, and 5.

At level 5 I charged the mid and dropped two CLaWs. The results were disappointing – little damage was dealt and I had to back off or get killed. Okay, I thought. Bad example. Let’s try killing the shield battery turret.

Without using anything other than Territory Defense, I dropped CLaWs at the shield battery turret. No rockets, no alpha cannons. Just CLaWs. Damage output was probably about a third of a Hirudo’s, and their Undolorean came by and blew me up because I was taking so damn long.

After I started leveling Alpha Cannons, that 200 DPS worked a lot better than the CLaWs’ abysmal damage. Hell, that 140 or 170 DPS beat out level 3 CLaWs.

Conclusion: CLaWs suck, period. They cannot even kill turrets. I have no idea where you could possibly come up with a claim that CLaWs murder turrets by themselves at the same rate as a Hirudo unless you have never seriously tried it or had some other outside variable make it easier.

In light of this, there’s not much redeeming the Iron Wolf. CLaWs aren’t good for ANYTHING. Turn them into a proper laser turret – it keeps the defensive aspect without being completely useless.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lichice:

Oh, update!

Sowah made a claim that level 3 CLaWs, alone, can do enough damage to a turret to match Hirudo. As a man of science, I set out to test this claim. Seeing as how I would only need CLaWs to pull this off, I eschewed the Alpha Cannons entirely, leveling CLaWs at 2, 4, and 5.

At level 5 I charged the mid and dropped two CLaWs. The results were disappointing – little damage was dealt and I had to back off or get killed. Okay, I thought. Bad example. Let’s try killing the shield battery turret.

Without using anything other than Territory Defense, I dropped CLaWs at the shield battery turret. No rockets, no alpha cannons. Just CLaWs. Damage output was probably about a third of a Hirudo’s, and their Undolorean came by and blew me up because I was taking so damn long.

After I started leveling Alpha Cannons, that 200 DPS worked a lot better than the CLaWs’ abysmal damage. Hell, that 140 or 170 DPS beat out level 3 CLaWs.

Conclusion: CLaWs suck, period. They cannot even kill turrets. I have no idea where you could possibly come up with a claim that CLaWs murder turrets by themselves at the same rate as a Hirudo unless you have never seriously tried it or had some other outside variable make it easier.

In light of this, there’s not much redeeming the Iron Wolf. CLaWs aren’t good for ANYTHING. Turn them into a proper laser turret – it keeps the defensive aspect without being completely useless.

I’m also noticing the somewhat weak dmg of the CLaWs, which probably begs the question, how to do that CLaW specific achievement of killing 1 turret, 1 drone and 1 player with 1 CLaW? Unless you’re really, really lucky, I don’t see this happening any time soon.

Flag Post

Aim with your lasers 1 ship lengh in front of the Enemy. When the game lags a lot aim 2 ship lengh in front.
Then you deal massive damage, no joke :-)