Do most Multiplayer Games not get badges because they're not good enough or just because they're "Multiplayer"?

5 posts

Flag Post

Do most Multiplayer Games not get badges because they’re not good enough or just because they’re “Multiplayer”?

I’ve always wondered. I think it would be nice if badges were on Multiplayer games more commonly. Like Shooter games.

Flag Post

I can’t say for certain what the reasons are (just going off of my instincts here), but it could be for a number of different reasons:

• Many multiplayer games are constantly updating their content and players are growing in strength all the time, which can change the difficulty of achieving certain badges. Working with existing players to get the badges can take considerably less time than trying to do things yourself.
  • Sometimes the games just don’t have an extensive API to use for Kongregate badges, if one exists at all. All badges need to be using the Kongregate API so that the site knows when to give you that badge you’ve been playing for. ;)
  • There are communities for multiplayer games that would be willing to play single-player games every now and then. The reverse is not necessarily true…and I’ve seen firsthand the insanity that usually occurs when a game gets badges or a huge promotion of some sort (for example, the game’s rating might drop a couple tenths from significant numbers of players downvoting a game out of spite for energy systems or pay-to-win schemes that basically require people to pay to enjoy much of the game).

So multiplayer games aren’t usually the first pick, but they do get considered (especially if they’re popular enough and won’t be causing lots of angry comments from the people that prefer single-player games without long waits or unfair advantages).

Flag Post

I hate multiplayer games with badges. Full disclosure, I am a badge fanatic. Generally, it is me against other players who play the game regularly and this causes me to have to catch up with other players. I see badges as an individual thing, and causing someone to have to compete with other users diminishes my experience. It doesn’t cost anything to add badges, so I can’t answer why there would be less games with badges, but I do feel that I am not alone in my opinion which might cause kongregate to focus on badges on games with wider appeal.

Flag Post

Midnight, if you see any new multiplayer games that just got badges, go read the comments and you’ll see why people don’t like multiplayer games to be badged.

Flag Post

badges are kinda harder to make for mmos because their is no clear end to the game. in a single player game beating the game can be hard or medium in a multiplayer game its hard to judge. Do you want to make someone play the game for 1-2 weeks or even longer just for a badge?
Many have lots of premium advertising and the badges need to be balanced.
People hate waiting for stuff to happen Waiting to collect resources blech.
The comments and ratings tend to get trashed when badges are added but yes they have badged a ton of multiplayer games before.
Also with shooters the difficulty of badge varies. Like on the one i was playing get 15 kills for easy. Now that could be difficult if you have people that are experts and you are a begging but if your in a room full of noobs it is easy!
People hate waiting.
Also you need to consider what happens if the game dies can you still get the badge? :P