[Monsters' Den Chronicles] The evade/miss rate is fucked up!

6 posts

Flag Post

Ok, I played this game some months ago, as well as Monster’s den and monster’s den : Book of the dread. Very good games, loved them.

But here comes Chronicles and something is really bugging me. In most game with a ‘’hit percentage’‘, when you are over 85%, it’s always a hit. With very few exceptions.

Now, here’s the deal.

I’m on Act V, normal difficulty, got a Warrior, a mage, a ranger and a cleric, all level 16.

I’m facing a Level 15 spectre.

When I aim for him, I get a hit percentage between 76 to 88, depending on the caracters and buffs.

But still, I missed him like 9 times out of 14 attacks. That’s a 35% hit percentage. And to miss him 4 times back to back, with a 88, 76, 82 and 88 percentage, i didn’t do the math, but i think i got more chance to win the lottery than for this to happens on every god damn monster…

So i would like to know if the dev added some hidden evade stats to monsters to make them harder (the game got lot harder if i recall) or if the hit percentage is simply fucked up…

But still a very good game serie Garin!

Flag Post

Garin has repeatedly insisted that the hit percentages are correct; whether they are or not, they’re extremely unlikely to change at this point. The premium content includes an option to have hit percentages calculated differently, but I haven’t paid up to see how much of a difference that makes.

Best advice I can give is to find equipment with accuracy bonuses and use higher-accuracy attacks, and hope the RNG is on your side.

Flag Post

maybe the resists protected it somewhat?

Flag Post
Originally posted by zerxil:

maybe the resists protected it somewhat?

That wouldn’t prevent an attack from landing, though, just the status — it would pop up a message that said e.g. “Cold Resist” instead of dodging altogether.

Flag Post

“But here comes Chronicles and something is really bugging me. In most game with a ‘’hit percentage’‘, when you are over 85%, it’s always a hit. With very few exceptions.”

Funny thing about odds like this: the Law of Averages does not exist. Every single attack all game legitimately can miss, and you need a lot more than fifteen incidents to show any significant possibility of something going wrong.

Incidentally, your chance of missing all four times with the given odds is 0.06% (~ 1 in 1607). Unlikely, but not unreasonable as an outlier.

For comparison, your odds of winning the minimum payout on Florida’s regular Lotto game is a little more than 0.19% (~1 in 511). The maximum payout is just barely over 0.0000000099% (exactly 1 in 10,068,347,520).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sailorleo:

“But here comes Chronicles and something is really bugging me. In most game with a ‘’hit percentage’‘, when you are over 85%, it’s always a hit. With very few exceptions.”

Funny thing about odds like this: the Law of Averages does not exist. Every single attack all game legitimately can miss, and you need a lot more than fifteen incidents to show any significant possibility of something going wrong.

Basically what he said. A chance to hit is never a guarantee, since the math you see on paper only sometimes correlates to real-world chance. Besides, it would be more accurate to do a test of hitting a hundred spectres, and calculating the result, but even then that won’t guarantee great results. Because that chance to hit is just that. According to the math, 85 attacks out of 100 total should hit. But in the end it all comes down to the dice.

Also, I find perspective plays a key role in this. I have experienced terrible odds as well, but then I recall all those times where I didn’t miss when the possibility was there, and I find it balances out. I remember when my warrior got blinded and his accuracy was at 35%. I took the chance to kill the target, and it worked, despite the incredible odds. I find at least I have a tendency to accentuate the negative. Of course, you could be unlucky, but there are ways to change you’re bad luck so it doesn’t keep cursing you (use +accuracy items/abilities, etc.)