Clout -- A Satirical Political "Simulator"

16 posts

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/games/delosford/clout-the-game

This is a game I’ve built from scratch in PHP/MySQL. It’s been up and running as a Faceook game for a while now, and I decided to port it to Kongregate after some people wanted to play but didn’t like the idea of Facebook games in general.

Obviously there aren’t really many political simulators out there, so it’s a bit difficult to describe the gameplay. I’ve tried to make it as newbie-friendly as possible with explanations for everything, so the best way to learn about the game is probably to jump in, but I’ll try to give a general description:

First, you create a character. You are playing a politician, but also very likely a corrupt and psychopathic politician, so don’t necessarily feel compelled to pick a party you agree with.

Once you’re actually in the game, the general idea is to gain Clout by passing bills, helping allied bills pass or acting against the bills of your political opponents and getting them to fail. You act on bills by playing abilities that roughly correspond to a debate tactic. This posts some text to the bill, consumes energy, causes stress, influences the bill, and sometimes does other things (ability depending).

The Clout that you gain from this acts both as a currency and a sort of experience point indicator. More clout means… more clout, effectively. You can spend it to introduce bills or buy abilities. The special ability “Poison Pill” also costs some Clout to use.

That’s all just the basic gameplay, though. There are various other aspects such as investigations, skullduggery, scandals, drugs, failing to win re-election, permadeath, and the overarching nation/world stats where you can see how the bills you pass actually affect the nation.

It’s a very intricate and unique game, so it’s difficult to explain everything concisely. You should know enough by now to know if you’re interested, so give it a try already!

Flag Post

Seems interesting.

Flag Post

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else has feedback be it positive or negative I’d like to hear it. I have a number of players, but very few give any sort of feedback on anything.

I’ll also note that a lot of people still seem to have issues with trait selection during character creation, so I’ll explain the two most common problems: you get 1 trait for free. The trait at the bottom of each column (Skeletons In Your Closet/Nearly Flawless Past) count as two traits. These are explained on the character creation screen in various ways as well, but somehow people still seem to have issues until I explain those things.

Flag Post

Ive been playing this game for ~2 weeks now. It seems fun, I just wish more people would play (and join libertarian party wink wink)

Flag Post

edit: approval/bug issue with kreds solved.

Flag Post

edit: approval/bug issue with kreds solved.

Flag Post

All the approval requirements and/or bugs have been sorted out with the game and it is now Kreds-enabled. Sorry to the few of you that left before due to the lack of that functionality. Kongregate will be running ads for the game as part of the Kreds approval, so that should attract more players (but many more are already playing than before!)

edit: as an addendum, I have increased base energy regen by roughly 20%. Lots of Kongregate players complained about it being too slow. This is the most I’m really willing to increase it, as further increasing it would significantly alter game balance in a variety of ways.

Flag Post

Can ya increase the energy please,I can play this game only 30 seconds.

Flag Post

It’s certainly possible to blow all of your energy in 20s. Probably even less if you try hard… but the point of the game is to think about how to maximize your gains with a limited amount of energy/cash for drugs to get more energy. There are also various things you can do without energy.

Flag Post

What program, software or whatever did you use to make the game?

Flag Post

The game uses PHP and mySQL. I wrote it in notepad and phpMyAdmin.

edit: also please note I’ve been programming since I was 14… generally using notepad for complex programs isn’t the best idea. The only reason my game runs very well regardless is that I’ve been programming for a rather long time.

Flag Post

Just a note to anyone who may have quit because of the bill view clutter: there is now a “Bill Filter” that lets you cut down on that by viewing a more specific subset of bills.

Flag Post

I give my permission for this image to be used in any way you want to use it.

Updated 5-12-2013

Clout Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame Comparison 4-29/5-1
The image is really tall so this is to save you from having to scroll down so far.

Flag Post

I think Imma actually be a good person, stay clean of all hat crap and such. ;)

This game deserves to have more people playing it…

Flag Post

well this is very active

Flag Post

Yeah, this thread isn’t exactly used for much.

Visit the all-new official forums at cloutiverse.net/smf

Though, as of this posting those aren’t super-active either. I’m sure that’ll change.