[Vorp!] Flight Guide: Circe, with your pilot, Alectrus Nyx

25 posts

Flag Post

The Prana Binda Sisterhood are feared across the stars. Rumored to have perfected control over every aspect of their being—internal chemistry, physical form, health and aging—and delving in mysterious arcane powers through the ingestion of pure Clichebangium, they are devastatingly beautiful and powerful creatures. Alectrus is no exception. Never without a signature Sisterhood “Soulscythe”, Alectrus sows discord to those who the Prana Binda have judged corrupt… and reaps their souls.

Providing strong tough artillery support from a distance while also excelling at destroying enemy structures, Circe can reposition the front lines of any battle to your team’s advantage. While not usually at the top of K/D charts, Alectrus Nyx can be a maddening enemy to face.

Circe has excellent staying power and can mislead enemies into going after a much tougher ship than they were expecting. While not great at finishing off a fleeing ship, Alectrus is also extremely difficult to kill with Circe’s Space Fold ability. If an enemy team doesn’t pay attention, Alectrus can aggressively take down an entire capital ship’s defensive structures.

• Bindu Bolts Alectrus focuses her arcane talents to gather latent energy into bolt charges. When unleashed, a charge fires off several homing bolts that continue to increase in damage power over range. Great for structure assault and good for suppressing enemy positioning, it can be countered when there are too many targets as the bolts disperse among them. The Drone Hunter Op can be useful to lower the number of targets and allow the bolts to hit higher value enemies.

• Omen Sphere conjures a slow moving sphere that deals incredible damage on impact, and lashes out at nearby enemies with electrical strikes. A direct hit by a sphere deals incredible damage to structures, which underlines Alectrus’ primary use of the technique. A disabled enemy stuck in the static field for too long will also find it devastating. The sphere’s internal structure can be dismantled before reaching a valued target by skillfully placed enemy fire.

• Ghost Field summons countless eons of Prana Binda spectral ancestors, creating a field around Alectrus and her ship. Circe’s turn rate is vastly improved, and incoming damage is reduced, while enemies that cross the field will find themselves strangely slower. Alectrus will typically use Ghost Field to counter pursuit, to snare a large team battle in close range of a barrage of Bindu Bolts, or when a rapid Omen Sphere aim change is required.

• Space Fold is charge based, building up to three charges. On each charge use, Circe warps towards the mouse cursor and generates a temporary burst of energy that quickly dissipates over five seconds. Commanders who like to not die can utilize this very effectively to escape, as well as helping against DoT heavy ships.

Commanding Alectrus Nyx in the Circe

1. Space Fold’s dissipation is lessened by Ghost Field’s damage reduction. Use this to your advantage by Ghost Fielding and warping around inside during combat, rather than using Space Fold always to run.
  2. Keep an eye on your loadout charges and mind your position and distance in team battles. Circe is most effective at long range and working her way down the Towers.
  3. While Circe’s loadouts make it difficult for her to seal a deal in a duel, using a combination of Space Folds and Ghost Field can be surprisingly effective at catching a fleeing enemy.

Flying against Alectrus Nyx in the Circe

1. Omen Sphere is destructible. Try to take it down if you are in a ship that can fire at it. This is particularly important when playing against Circes that are focusing on your defensive structures.
  2. Avoid engaging a high level Circe in a Ghost Field, she is extremely dangerous inside one. As it’s a slow ship outside of it, and the Ghost Field does not move, you can safely avoid engaging her until the effect is expired.
  3. Provoke a Circe to overspend her loadouts. When low on or out of Bindu Bolt charges, her damage output is severely capped.

Flag Post

Courtesy of Masakarii (I edited slightly):

How many games you played with Circe until now?
And you still don’t know that Ghost Field is Circe´s best load-out?

Try this skill line:

Shoot your Bindu Bolts at a chasing enemy, when they are at 50% energy ram them and immediately deploy Ghost Field. They won’t be able to flee before you can shoot your Omen Sphere into them. If they aren’t dead yet, get some more Bindu Bolts out and maybe follow with Space Fold.

You will laugh how easy it is to kill somebody while taking amazing low damage!

Flag Post

Yeah, Masa was right… it is an icredibly good set. Though sometimes I go 2, 3, 1 in the beginning so that way I can help my team push and/or defend in the beginning more. But either way, it’s a great set, and it frees up a space for getting Space Fold early if necessary.

The main thing is that Ghost Field removes all slows form your moves… the one from Bindu Bolts, the one from Omen Sphere, and curiously enough, the one from Deport as well. Though I don’t think the Deport one was intentional… it just works.

Flag Post

I think that ghost field isn’t the smartest thing to do early. I only upgrade that when the first line is down and you have to start doing some longer flight-lines. So I tend to do something like 2,1,2,1,3,4,2…

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheDavidCarney:

I think that ghost field isn’t the smartest thing to do early. I only upgrade that when the first line is down and you have to start doing some longer flight-lines. So I tend to do something like 2,1,2,1,3,4,2…

It depends on the match. Sometimes you need to burst turrets down if your team is slow, in which case, having ghost field can be really handy.

Flag Post

I just want to formally complain that the circe nerf on ghost field made this a really boring to play ship. :/

Flag Post

Yeah, Circe isn’t quite as fun anymore.

Anyways, a proposed fix: Remove the damage reduction from ghost field (or at least part of it) and allow the effect it gives you to prevent slows from Ghost Field and Omen Sphere. This prevents it from cheaply removing other status effects, while giving it the fun playstyle it had before the update =).

Anybody else have some suggetsions?

Flag Post

Maybe you could give the Circe some sort of snare ability? This would make it easier to land Omen Spheres, which would make her a formidable opponent in a duel. Right now, I think her strategy is only to spam Bindu Bolts, then launch Omen Spheres towards the towers until they fall. It’s not a very interesting ship to play, in my opinion.

Flag Post

me i upgrade 2.1.2.1.2 first, after 4.3.4.4.3.3 and finish with 5

Flag Post
Originally posted by BurgerGuy9812:

Maybe you could give the Circe some sort of snare ability? This would make it easier to land Omen Spheres, which would make her a formidable opponent in a duel. Right now, I think her strategy is only to spam Bindu Bolts, then launch Omen Spheres towards the towers until they fall. It’s not a very interesting ship to play, in my opinion.

Well, I’ve been experimenting with this, and ghost field still works okay for doing this, if the enemy isn’t smart enough to turn around. Of course, sometimes the enemy does turn around, in which case it doesn’t help.

Flag Post

Ghost field works very well for pvp action.

Flag Post

Maybe they should make it so that enemy pilots inside the ghost field are prioritized for bindu bolts. I can’t count the number of times an enemy has just sat there while the back half of my bindu bolts go and attack random drones…

Flag Post

The AI targeting stinks, plain and simple. I hope they figure something out as well…like prioritizing the “almost dead” and “most dangerous” targets first.

Flag Post

That happens to me with IW too…..
AI: “Shall I attack the 250 hp ANT that’s about to escape……
Nah… DIE DRONE!”

Flag Post

Part of the advantages of AI targeting is that the bullets can go around corners. Yes, it has disadvantages, but I’ll take what it is so far.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TAO_Arecibo:

Part of the advantages of AI targeting is that the bullets can go around corners. Yes, it has disadvantages, but I’ll take what it is so far.

That’s just path-finding, not targeting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kiech:
Originally posted by TAO_Arecibo:

That’s just path-finding, not targeting.

True. Nonetheless, you do realize that it might target players when you want it to target drones, like in the beginning, right?

Flag Post

I would be willing to risk it.

Flag Post

I would be willing to risk it.

Mhm. I might too.

Flag Post

Or target the closest thing to you?

Flag Post

No. That would make the circe to easy to counter.
Picture this: It’s 4 minutes into the game, and everyone’s still trying to gain the advantage in the middle. All of a sudden, the enemy’s ANT ventures too far towards you to get some ATOMs. He immediately gets jumped by your team. You, as circe charge towards him to pick up the kill, spamming your bindu bolts. Then, just as they’re about to hit the ANT, securing the kill, their Angelfire charges towards you from the side, and all your bindu bolts break off and chase him.
It would mean that the circe would be countered by flying close to it when your ally is in trouble.

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure bindu bolts just target what ever is closest to the bolt.

So you can already save a low energy teammate by running next to the Circe, or into the path of the bolts.

Flag Post

Lets just revise the wish to have it target the closest hittable ship/object with the smallest amount of energy remaining.

Flag Post

The AI targeting stinks, plain and simple. I hope they figure something out as well…like prioritizing the “almost dead” and “most dangerous” targets first.

This I don’t mind so much. It’s one of the qualities of the ship that make it not-OP. There are still ways to focus your fire on what you want by positioning yourself in the right place.

Flag Post

Sorry, it kind of went off-topic to include all AI-targeting…