[Lost Magic] Guide for the Lost (a brief guide to the game)

4 posts

Flag Post
Useful links • (none right now)

Hey guys, it’s Bob10110. While I was wandering around, I suddenly found myself pulled into a portal…and I ended up in this mystical land where many things are lost. Adventurers, books, and magic, for the most part are among these. Maybe some other things are lost as well, but I digress. You are most likely a lost adventurer in need of some guidance in this new world…

Combat

The first thing you’ll go through in the tutorial is combat. Some basic things to know about combat, if you’re still confused afterwards:

• The goal is to reduce all enemies to 0 HP while avoiding that fate yourself. If you get knocked down to 0 HP, you lose the battle and respawn (usually at the Border or entrance of the dungeon/region you are in).
  • Each round, the game pairs up one combatant from each side to square off against each other. Usually a combatant not in active combat won’t take damage (there is an Area-of-Effect skill one can unlock at level 4 though).
  • Your basic attack is cost-free and has no cooldown. All other abilities will have a cost of some sort, whether it’s the Rage points you store up during the course of battle or Magic Shards you can occasionally loot from enemies (or purchase). Most (but not all) abilities also have a cooldown; this cooldown period only ticks down when you make an action.
  • During a turn you are actively fighting, you can use any number of consumables on your belt, provided that they are out of cooldown. Examples of consumable items are potions (can be looted/purchased from Fery in Three Corners) or summoning whistles (can be purchased from Elton in Curved Road). Potions of the same type (including different ranks of the same potion) use the same cooldown — so don’t think about filling every slot with Medical potions. Using a consumable does not end your turn.

Quests

So now you’ve gone through combat. You want to grow stronger so you can reach that point in the game where you’re hitting enemies like you were in the tutorial. How do we go about doing this?

Quests!

This will be your main source of experience through the first levels. I highly advise picking up every quest you can. Some quests are repeatable; these will show up with blue ! and ? symbols next to an NPC’s name (standard symbols of available and completed quests). Others will be the typical yellow color many players might be familiar with — these quests are not repeatable, but generally offer a large and/or unique reward for their completion.

Your first quests will take you through the city, along the way beating up a biker and generally getting to know the city and its inhabitants. Take every quest that comes, even if you are not able to complete it straightaway. (The first quests you’ll have to actually think about picking up will come when you reach the Bunker at Peat Marshes, a level 5 region. Two NPC’s have different, extreme views and helping one of them lowers the other’s respect for you.)

Every time you level up, you can become eligible for more quests. These quests will help you get started with advancing to the next level, although ultimately you will need to start hitting enemies for the sake of gaining experience. Which brings me to my next point of interest…

Dungeons

When quests do not offer large enough rewards to get you to that next level, I would advise hitting the dungeons. The first dungeon you can access is the Crypt, provided you’ve done enough quests for Victor (the Paladin investigating the undead activity). You will also need a party of at least 2 players (there is a premium available for those people that want to do it alone, but it is not advised to use this temporary status early on).

A couple things to know about parties:

• You are restricted to a 1-level gap between players when going into a dungeon. Players of level 3-4 can be in a party, and the same goes for 4-5. But a dungeon party can not consist of players of level 3-5.
  • The party loot options can be set to one of two things: Party leader decision (has the bag icon on the loot option) or random roll (does not have a bag icon on the loot option). Most parties are made with the “party leader decision” option, so it may be useful to know that a /roll command exists if the party leader cannot decide who to give loot to.

More info on the Crypt can be located here.

Dungeons generally consist of clearing rooms filled with an utter swarm of enemy minions. Expect lots and lots of enemy switches during the course of these battles. When you finally make it to the boss, expect a tough fight — even though this means fighting a sole opponent when it comes to the Crypt bosses. Finishing this battle alive will give you plenty of experience (based on damage dealt) and the party may get a good loot item or two. Tomb Raider equipment as well as Attribute and Talent reset scrolls have been known to drop from the Crypt’s bosses.

The dungeon instance, once opened, will be locked to your character for a duration. For the Crypt, this timer is 4 hours. All enemies defeated within this instance stay defeated until the dungeon timer expires, and you may not start another dungeon while one is currently locked to your character.

Selling Your Loot!

Every great adventurer dreams of bathing in pools of gold coins, right? Here I shall reveal how to sell your loot for maximum gains.

First things first: Every item has value. If the game shows its value, chances are you can sell it (unless it’s that art piece you find for a quest in Slowille). This value is what an NPC will be willing to pay you for the item. To sell items to the various non-playable characters of the world, find one that has a shop. You can then double-click the items in your inventory or drag them into the shopkeeper’s store interface to sell your items.

Some items, however, have far more value to players. A classic example of these would be loot drops from the Dungeon Bosses (Crypt equipment not from the Tomb Raider set is tradable, some of which is rather nice). You can trade directly with other players, provided you’re both in the same area; use the player list in the bottom right to interact with players. You can also sell items to players through the Auction House, though the House takes a cut of all listings there.

Posting a new listing costs 5, 10, or 15 silver (immediately upon submitting the listing) depending on the time duration specified. If a sale is made, the House also takes a 5% cut of the final bid and sends the other 95% to you via Post Office mail. However, it can definitely still be worth it to sell items in this way, if players would be willing to pay far more than NPCs.

Flag Post

Events in the game

Eventually you’ll get bored of grinding out loot drops for a certain quest; I know I have! Thankfully there’s a few distractions to take part in so you can forget about getting 20 candles for someone’s ritual…at least for a while. Anyways, the game has regular events that happen throughout the day. To check these and other timers, look in your Settings menu under the “Saved Copies” category. Some of these include:

Miltonfest: Level 4+ regular PvP contest at the Full Duck Bar.

Every 3 hours, a frantic free-for-all takes place at the Full Duck. Five players of the same level are needed to begin the brawl. Anything is fair game, including restoration potions and summon whistles. The lone survivor at the end of the brawl receives the unique cloak “Street Fighter” for 12 hours (upon claiming the daily quest reward). This cloak will have a number, equal to your level, of random stat increases to Strength, Agility, Stamina, or Defense.

Bloody Fight: Regular PvP contest at the Fight Club.

At three specific times during the day (roughly middle of the day for American players, and afternoon/evening hours for European players), players may gather in the basement for a two-team PvP battle (teams are assigned at random, with rough attempts at balance). The survivors are awarded 10 Arena Points.

Fight Club tourney: Weekly PvP tourney at the Fight Club.

You can go to the Fight Club at any time (other than when Bloody Fight is going on) to challenge people of the same level to a 1v1 duel. Anything is fair game here. The weekly tournament is based on an ELO ranking system; only 3 fights against the same opponent will count within a 24-hour period, and a minimum of 10 victories are required to qualify for the prize. The qualifying player with the highest ranking at the weekly rollover (midnight GMT on Sunday) receives a unique cloak for the following week.

City Arena: Group-based PvP game available from level 3 onwards.

You can join the City Arena queue via the Find Group menu, from any location. You can either solo queue or form a premade party of 5 members and join the queue with that party. A match takes 10 players from the same level bracket (3-5, 6-8, and so on) to start; once 10 players have signed up, a 2-minute warning goes out to these players to finish their combat or business so that they can properly take part. If any players are not ready, they are removed from the queue and given a 1-hour penalty before they may re-enter the queue. The City Arena itself is vaguely similar to certain famous MOBA-genre games; there are two teams of 5 players each, and three lanes of approach to get into the enemy base. Along the way, you will have to face golems blocking each path — and perhaps opposing players that decide to interfere with your progress. The goal is to reach the enemy base; the winners get some Arena Points (and maybe some other stuff too).

Draw Your Sneakers: Level 4+ PvE challenge at the Border.

Every 60 minutes, players can encounter a duo of level 4 True Crycoons at the Border. These are tough opponents at level 4, so it is advised to bring a summon whistle or two and health regeneration potions at that level. If they are defeated, you have a small chance of looting rare Pink Sneakers. Achievements are involved.

Undead Spawn: Level 5- PvE quest at the Cemetery.

Every 30 minutes, players of level 5 and below who have the “Fishing With Live Bait” quest active can find the Zombiefish in the Cemetery. It is a bit more powerful than other undead, but is not a terribly devastating foe. Defeating the Zombiefish yields the quest item to turn in at the coffee shop; the reward is a collectable spinner necessary for an achievement (turning in a set of four spinners to Alexander), along with a bit of silver and exp.

Flag Post

Alchemy

Once you reach level 6, you may notice a Mill House opens in Chilton. Inside, a strange man offers to let you access the greenhouse and his seed/alchemy store for a one-off cost of 5 Gold. If and when you pay this, you will be able to start brewing potions yourself — no more having to buy them from the NPC’s!

…oh, except that you don’t know the first thing about what potions are made out of. After all, this wasn’t in the tutorial. =P

First things first: Every player will have their own unique recipes that you must discover on your own. I could give you pointers as to what to try, but ultimately it will involve some trial and error on your part. What works for me probably won’t work for you.

Once you’ve paid the 5 gold access fee, you’ll notice that this guy has a store that sells the following:

• Seeds (6 types)
  • Fertilizers to improve seed yields (3 types)
  • Additives to decrease seed growing time (2 types)
  • Another Additive to change your harvested herbs into uncommons (Hybridizator)
  • Empty Vials (4 types)

Purchase any two different Seed types and head into the Greenhouse. I’d advise against using any Additives to start off. Hybridizator guarantees an uncommon result and (from what I’ve heard, haven’t tested this myself) the other two Additives seem to make uncommons more frequent.

You’ll notice that there are six garden plots you can plant Seeds in, only two of which are unlocked initially. You may unlock more plots with Gold; the third plot costs 1 Gold and the fourth plot costs 5 Gold. There is also an Alchemy Table nearby where you can attempt to create potions; we’ll get to this later.

Plant your two Seeds now. It will take some hours (4-24 depending on the Seed type) for them to grow. Once your Seed has grown into herbs, you may harvest these herbs for use at the Alchemy Table. Occasionally you’ll find an uncommon or rare herb that you didn’t plant there; these herbs will be used in higher-level alchemy, but for your own purposes, you’ll want to either keep these special herbs in safekeeping or trade them to someone else. Common-tier herbs are what we’re wanting right now, and those herbs come from the expected results of your Seeds.

Once you’ve found two types of common-tier herbs, buy a common-tier Simple Vial and proceed to make a potion out of these. Chances are it will probably fail and turn up as a Strange or Disgusting Substance (you have a 4/15 chance of this first combination actually being a recipe for a level 5 potion — if it does end up being a recipe, awesome). You could drink these failed potions from your inventory, but it’s probably better to pass them off to some unsuspecting NPC.

When you do discover a Recipe, you can view this Recipe in your Journal for future reference. Below are the notes on what to expect for discovering formulas:

Common Herbs:

• Antennaria
  • Hare Spicula
  • Shrubweaver
  • Pimplus
  • Umbrella
  • Amnesium

Uncommon Flowers:

• Topsydil
  • Crycoonis
  • Clubius
  • Rusty Tufts
  • Meadus
  • Elvenia

Mill dungeon drops:

• Snakefuru (uncommon-tier herb; the usual drops from Cadabras and Chupacabra)
  • Patrik (haven’t personally seen yet)
  • Turquochia (haven’t personally seen yet)

Can be discovered immediately:

Level 5 Potions (4 recipes): Simple Vial + Herb1 (C) + Herb2 (C)

Can only be discovered after dialogue with a certain talking cat:

Invigorating Potion: Crystal Phial + Snakefuru + Flower1 (U)
Homemade Energy Potion: Crystal Phial + Snakefuru + Flower1 (U)
Restorative Potion: Quartz Vial + Patrik/Turquochia + Flower1 (U) + Flower2 (U)
Wisdom Potion: Quartz Vial + Patrik/Turquochia + Flower1 (U) + Flower2 (U)

(more potions to come later)

Flag Post

(( Additional post for reserves. Just in case I need it. ))