[Backyard Monsters] Second Annual BYM Awards Ceremony

295 posts

Flag Post

The Second Annual BYM Awards Ceremony!

Well, everyone, I believe it is time for the second edition of the BYM awards to surface. It’s been about 11 months since NewBlimpy revealed the results of the first ceremony, shown here.

I hope that you all see me fit to officiate this awards ceremony. I’ve been around since about a month before last year’s awards were given out, and I believe that my time spent here qualifies me to create this thread.

The awards are as follow:

• Most Knowledgeable/Experienced Member
  • Most Influential Member
  • Most Likeable Member
  • Most Helpful Member
  • The Troll Trophy
  • Thread of the Year Award
  • Most Helpful Thread
  • Best Alliance Leader
  • Best Alliance
  • Most Threatening Alliance
  • Most Friendly Alliance
  • Member of the Year

• ~Spyder

Flag Post

There are some rules:

• Only one person can vote, and I have made sure only 1 person can (If you have a brother that also plays backyard monsters, or an ALT that has magical fingers, talk to each other, you will have to vote together, otherwise do rock paper scissors). You will have to submit your email address, however, I am not able to access, nor see who has entered their email address and what the addresses are, but these will be used for verification.
      • You will have to enter your Kongregate username.
      • You cannot close the window, If you do, you cannot re-open the survey.
      • Make sure you fill out the entire name, and only the entire name, so no motivations or verbs. JUST THE NAME, AND MAKE SURE YOU SPELL IT CORRECT!
      • I had to go for the dutch site, the English site is/was no option. DO NOT CLICK THE BUTTON TO CHANGE THE INTERFACE TO ENGLISH, IT CAUSES THE SITE TO CRASH! I have entered the questions in english, so no need to start up google translate :). Besides from this, this website is clean, no incidents with 115 voters before, as far as I know.

Manual:
      1. Enter your email address in the area upfront. Than click the button that says: verder gaan ( dutch for continue). If you do not enter you address, you will not be able to submit your vote.

2a. You will now see a website, which has up top the explanation behind the entire process, and behind each question there is a box to enter your answer.

2b. Verplicht veld means mandatory box. As you can see, you cannot leave without entering all. If you have no vote, please just enter /.

3. Once finished, click submit/verder gaan. After this you are done. Thanks for filling out!

Link to Survey: http://www.onderzoekdoen.nl/onderzoek.php?f=13437

Flag Post

Voting ends December 10, 2012

Flag Post

Special thanks to Wave_Rida and Alxje2themax for their continued help!

Flag Post

All the categories look good, be fun to see who gets what. My only problem is the Fail Troll trophy has too many candidates to list.

EDIT: What about Most Helpful Thread, I’m sure that was in there last time.

Flag Post

Do the players still need to be active to qualify, I think most of our Fail Trolls are gone, but they put in a lot of quality failing while they were here.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by DarthHrnuefel:

Do the players still need to be active to qualify, I think most of our Fail Trolls are gone, but they put in a lot of quality failing while they were here.

I think they do, otherwise we might get stuck with the same participants as from last year.

Who is going to be allowed to vote and to nominate?

Flag Post

Most Improved?

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Justin_M3:

Most Improved?

might be an idea, but IMO, not such a big deal. Of course, its nice to see people improve their behaviour, but it should be a common standard. So yeah, you can include it, but that is not something I am really excited about.

When will the awards begin? At the 12 month mark?

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Wave_Rida:

I think they do, otherwise we might get stuck with the same participants as from last year.

Who is going to be allowed to vote and to nominate?

Well, since it applies to Alliances, each (active) alliance should be able to vote on this right? Not sure about who will select the nominees but I don’t think it would hurt if someone made a list of possible candidates and someone selected them from there. Just an idea =)

EDIT

Originally posted by Justin_M3:

Most Improved?

I agree with wave, I don’t think improved behavior would classify as a BYM Award. Unless it’s actually related to the BYM alliances or game play I don’t think someones personal (Not BYM related [Troll Trophy, Helpful Member are examples related to BYM that are social awards]) conduct in chat and forums would rate an award because it’s a personal improvement and not BYM related.

What constitutes the member of the year award? I was thinking it would be a member that was helpful to the alliance but there is already an award for that.

Flag Post

If I am correct, it doesn’t only work with alliances. There are loads of people, that just read over these threads. If you check the amount of views, to posts, you will see that there are more people watching. Usually they cannot be bothered, but hold something like this, and they will flock to it and hit that reply button. So I think it you would be a bit strange to only allow alliance members to vote.I cannot see any award to be polled under alliances only. IMO, these “spectators” have the best opinion to vote. They watch with no opinion tied to them usually. However, there should be some control on double voting/ people who’s opinion we shouldn’t accept, on their behaviour ( I dont like person X, so I will vote for person Y even though I dont realy like him/her either).

how about a game babe of the year? ;) I vote wiganste in that case :)

Flag Post

Wig is definitely cheerleader of the year award :P. Oh your right wave, but what I meant to say was a lot of the awards are alliance member specific.

Also, I don’t think we can control double voting if people vote on alt accounts. That’s why I think it should be kept to the known members in each alliance (maybe excluding a few known people outside of them?) as they will be receiving most of the votes anyways and I think we know them better than other random players peeking in the forums.

I’m not sure how many people that actually look in here care, or have a good suggestion of a player nominee if they aren’t common to the forums.

Flag Post

This is by far only about alliances. I’d rather show case the players that make this community what it is. ALTs voting is a problem, but i think any cheating would be very obvious

Flag Post

I read through the whole of the old thread, just out of boredom really. But that thing with Nebul annoyed me, going on about how it was rigged that TFO won it all. I’d forgotten all about that idiot.

As for the voting side of things, everyone could vote. You clicked on a link and you submitted your answers. That would work well this time.

Flag Post

how about a most wanted player for your alliance (might go along with best alliance member but you can not vote on a member from your own alliance)

Flag Post

How about most land controlled? (outposts)

Flag Post
    Originally posted by dorian101:

How about most land controlled? (outposts)

That is not something I would consider appropriate for these awards. Why? a its factual and b its easily corrupted and member-count associated. Sounds tough, but just too easy to manipulate, and too hard to count, as f,e, TDK more or less owns a map, as does TTR.

Originally posted by spike104:

how about a most wanted player for your alliance (might go along with best alliance member but you can not vote on a member from your own alliance)

Like that one, there might be some way to word it differently, but I like the idea.

Flag Post

Glad to see something like this surface. Nice Spyder.

I like the criteria, last years went so well I have high hopes for this. Anyway, for the whole voting thing:
    I think voting for players that haven’t played/forumed here is the past couple months should not be nominees. I like the alliance awards and I don’t think they will be biased. Even though we’d all like to vote for our own alliances, we all know who takes the cake on certain awards. Honesty plays a big part in this.

Don’t just vote for your friends! Be honest!

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Spyder:

The Fail Troll Trophy

I almost feel as if this is Spy’s attempt to further antagonize me, but meh, Spy doesn’t decide the outcome of this, the community does. ;)

Flag Post

I got one suggestion, take away the ‘’best to join, the most helpful thread’‘. They are both opinion based, and what you are meaning of a alliance. When the brony alliance around, that would be best to me because I liked MLP, but that doesn’t mean OOT wouldn’t be best to join if I liked star wars. Same thing for the most helpful thread, what are you looking for, base help, current alliances.

You spelled Likable wrong.

Instead of most experienced/member of the year, you should have player of the year. Forums are not required to be skilled. Nor alliances.

Flag Post

I missed out on the last one but this is nice to see. Just a thought, for the voting is there anyone who is independent from all the alliances that could be the one to receive votes via pm? That might be a lot of work though depending on how the turn out is.

Flag Post

A few more things to add:
    Take away the failed troll trophy, it will convince people to ‘’fail troll’’ just so they can be a attention whore and get it. The troll trophy, it will cause everybody to start trolling and cause even more spam.
    EDIT:

This is by far only about alliances. I’d rather show case the players that make this community what it is. ALTs voting is a problem, but i think any cheating would be very obvious

Take away the troll awards, they mean single player trolls, not a alliance.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Des_troyy:

Glad to see something like this surface. Nice Spyder.

I like the criteria, last years went so well I have high hopes for this. Anyway, for the whole voting thing:
    I think voting for players that haven’t played/forumed here is the past couple months should not be nominees. I like the alliance awards and I don’t think they will be biased. Even though we’d all like to vote for our own alliances, we all know who takes the cake on certain awards. Honesty plays a big part in this.

Don’t just vote for your friends! Be honest!

Huge point. Absolutely! Honesty is key. There’s no need to lie and deceive.

Originally posted by zys123:

The Fail Troll Trophy

I almost feel as if this is Spy’s attempt to further antagonize me, but meh, Spy doesn’t decide the outcome of this, the community does. ;)

Not everything is about you, Zys.

Originally posted by BarbaricChicken:

I got one suggestion, take away the ‘’best to join, the most helpful thread’‘. They are both opinion based, and what you are meaning of a alliance. When the brony alliance around, that would be best to me because I liked MLP, but that doesn’t mean OOT wouldn’t be best to join if I liked star wars. Same thing for the most helpful thread, what are you looking for, base help, current alliances.

You spelled Likable wrong.

Instead of most experienced/member of the year, you should have player of the year. Forums are not required to be skilled. Nor alliances.

No, no, and no. Please leave this thread. I’m keeping the threads that were on last year’s and I copied those from last years. Don’t be a spelling/grammar Nazi.

I was on my phone and couldn’t clarify this. I don’t mean this should be about the alliances. Players are more important. That’s what I meant. “By far from only about alliances”

Thanks.

I’m out of town, and won’t be active this weekend.

Spy

Flag Post

You mean the awards that were on last year’s. I was making it so you look professional and not a nub (Talking about the grammar Nazi part.). So, you’re stopping a person with a honest opinion from voting? Doesn’t look that professional on your part. ;)

Flag Post

Professional, comes from the word profession which means nowadays (more or less) job. Job means for your simple mind, doing something and getting paid for it. So looking professional means that spyder should look like someone being paid to make this. Nope, not going to happen. He is doing this for his own fun and the joy that probably comes from the other people, involved with it. Respect that will you?

And even, if you wanted to make spyder look (your version of) professional,The correct way of behaving yourself would have been: you should have pm’d him about the likable, and read his post again. He never said that you cannot vote. He stated the following words: Please leave this thread. With which he is implying that he wants you to stop posting on this thread. Still you ignore him, and therefore, you can expect a harder response, resulting in finally, ending at the same level you were when you left the forums the last time. Bugger off.

EDIT: and I expect, that you might even be neglected of your opportunity to vote, simply due to your behaviour. You spoiled it for yourself…..