[Legacy of Heroes] Is PvP fun?

20 posts

Flag Post

Please discuss.

Flag Post

Well not most of the time, it isn’t fun to squash someone who’s 100 levels lower and few points, or get squashed yourself.

Flag Post

Biggest problem for me is, that you have no system against whom you fight. Sometimes I fight against a level 87 who has way better cards than me and almost the same amount of badges. If then he starts the fight I have no chance.

And you should get a better reward than 1 DuelPoint if you win one round against anyone, especially against someone who is better than you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wescha:

Biggest problem for me is, that you have no system against whom you fight. Sometimes I fight against a level 87 who has way better cards than me and almost the same amount of badges. If then he starts the fight I have no chance.

And you should get a better reward than 1 DuelPoint if you win one round against anyone, especially against someone who is better than you.

there actually is a system its just based on rank and dosn’t work as well because not everyone pvps right away

Flag Post

Should add a pvp rating fo players.

Flag Post

Generic answer I give often in chat above.

There is no reason not to duel. Even a loss in duel gives you 1 point. You learn about new cards and how to use them from other players. And most of the cards and all the equipment in the PVP rewards are good for 90% plus of the players.

Duels are based upon rank and not level. There is a range of 5. So there is distance at first but it evens out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sliceouttaluck:

Generic answer I give often in chat above.

There is no reason not to duel. Even a loss in duel gives you 1 point. You learn about new cards and how to use them from other players. And most of the cards and all the equipment in the PVP rewards are good for 90% plus of the players.

Duels are based upon rank and not level. There is a range of 5. So there is distance at first but it evens out.

Is it fun?

Flag Post

PvP should have two queueing options:
1) ‘Shorter queues’ – Same +-5 rank system
2) ‘Fairer matches’ – Maybe a +-2 range?

Flag Post

In my oppinion, no, the range of people you duel agienst is far too random that you almost never get evenly matched agienst people who are close to your skill level which equals no fun. That’s because, skill is not really even a factor in the system. The only thing that determines who you are matched agienst is the number of points you have accumlated. But the problem is, no matter if you have won or lost, you will get points regardless. Sure, you may get more points by winning, but soon or later, someone who has lost all of their matches will be able to reach the same amount as someone who has won a certain amount of points. You know what’s worse though? The number of points you get per win is RANDOM! That’s right, LUCK is now a factor of somehow determining who should fight who. All this system does is rate people by how persistant you are.

Flag Post

Maybe duel points should be kept for rewards, so you got a reason to use your dueling tickets.
BUT make a new ranking system, where everyone starts at a certain number(1500) and then you gain or lose rating depending on the match outcome(+-5 each time).

Flag Post

I think PVP is fun if you’ve tossed a bit of money into the game. Flashback less than a month ago when the pumpkins came out. I was about level 120 and dueling really sucked for me. I still wanted to get my duel points, so I’d end up conceding 90% of my matches.

Everyone started talking about how awesome the pumpkins were. I shrugged and thought nothing of it. I beat the promo quest and ended up getting Acel decay out of that pumpkin. That card improved my deck so much that I tossed a couple of copies of maser into my deck and made sure there were virtually no other martial attacks in my deck just to make sure that I could get more use out of it.

Like a day later someone put up a link which showed what you could possibly get out of all of the pumpkins and I was intrigued. I threw 100 bucks into the game and blew it all on pumpkins right there hoping to get lucky with the 50 fortune packs or the 1000K SP.

That didn’t happen, but boy was my deck ever completely different after that. I figure 50 bucks goes a long way if there’s a good promotion on. It gives you the ability to obtain enough quality cards to be competitive. And when you can be competitive PVP is a ton of fun as long as you’re not up against the likes of Bafia.

Flag Post

Heck, matching people by a win-to-lose ratio wouldn’t be that bad compared to the current system. Sure, evetually everyone achieve a close to a 50/50 win/lose ratio, but it would still match you with bad people if you played terrible and good people if you did good. You just have to get over the first games being incredibly unevenly matched. You could downsize the number of people who are at 50% by resetting you ranking every month.

@thaddcorbett, but how many matches have you just completly dominated because you have superior cards? How is that fun?

Flag Post

I agree I rarely get pit against someone that’s equal to me it’s either they stomp my face & I have no chance or the other way around. So my answer to the question “is it fun?” is a giant HELL NO!

Flag Post

I may seem like I have a predijuce to the dueling system, but I have 1600 points and I am worn down from the grinding of either getting purely destroyed by higher level players or dominating lower level players. It has gotten to to the point where I’ll conceede all of my 16 duels because I don’t wait to get slaughtered 2/3rds of my duels and wait for the other 1/3rd I win to people who to strech the duel out as long as possible.(not to mention, people who arn’t even playing at all, for their own reasons) Oh! and the outcomes of the duels are pretty much the same each time, with LDE or PM being the determing factor, or some other ridiculus card like grip which requires a chockfull of sp to have if you’re not acoltye.

All this, for a couple of measly cards, and devastix, which I am not even 20% close to achieving.

Flag Post

PvP is fun for heavy spenders who care about winning to the exclusion of actually playing. That being said, PvP is deeply flawed beyond power imbalances.

Even if we assume for the sake of argument that you run into somebody who has a roughly equal card collection and Skill Point expenditure total, you’re still going into every single PvP match virtually blind, with the exception of Rules of Engagement in EFL where you can count on certain cards not being allowed. Once you’ve brought your deck, that’s it. You have zero opportunity to change it in any way during the course of a match, and you have very little control over which cards are drawn/banished/depleted/recovered (there are some exceptions, but again, so much of it is just a crapshoot. Maybe you’ll lose all your mementos early, and maybe none of your offense-boosting events will deplete until the end, while you lose your recovery events immediately. Better luck next time.)

The amount of RNG in this game is staggering. I’d hesitate to declare a true “winner” (again, between two roughly evenly matched opponents) until I saw them play dozens of rounds against each other, unless one of them had a deck that literally had more retribution/recovery than the other person could ever soak, and the opponent had no access whatsoever to banish.

It seems to me like the wiser course, rather than make matches best-out-of-99, is to make the game more complicated, less dependent on RNG, and more significantly affected by player choices.

And that’s not even addressing the P2W problems.

Flag Post

So since everyone who has posted here thinks it isn’t fun (I’m including the person who said you should just play it for rewards) what do you think they should do to make it more fun?

1) Card bans?
2) Separate arena for paying/free players?
3) Limit certain cards to 1 copy per deck?
4) Move the EFL rules to PvP?
5) Something else?

Flag Post

The only thing that needs to be added is a system for COMPETIVE matchmaking, not RANDOM.

Meaning, if you lose, you are matched with weaker players, and if you win, you are matched with stronger players. Im not talking about a full blown ELO system, but SOMETHING.

The current system does nothing to support competition. Currently you are matched by duel points, which ultimatly serves to show how persistant you are at playing pvp.

Players like to play games where they are the factor that determines why they win or lose, not luck.

Flag Post

@ReinFrenchments: Well before there were so many matches where I was so in over my head that it wasn’t even funny. Now, let’s say 1/10 duels are like that, while it used to be like 7/10. I now find that 4/10 duels I’m in a position where the other person is in way over their head, while I now get a lot more matches where either my opponent and I both have a legit shot at winning.

Very enjoyable.

Flag Post

What rank and level are you?

Currently I am rank 13, level 220.

Flag Post

I would suggest a bracketing system
Lose and you lose points, win and you win points
You are bracketed into levels depending on the amount of points you have
Each level’s bracket is dynamically depending on percentages.
For example top 10% of points is in top tier, next 20% is in 2nd tier etc.