[The Grinns Tale] Which box is best opened?

20 posts

Flag Post

As the title says, which of the three boxes (ornate, tourmaline, peridot) is best opened with the free key?
If it matters, I’m currently at floor 46 (which I will soon finish) and have never opened a box so far so I’m quite clueless!

Flag Post

I toke tourmaline in the hope of getting the slight of hand weapon, so I could get pickpocket II. I didn’t get it though. I had already destroyed my last ornate box, so that was a no option for me. In either case, this free gift just showed that the ornate key is way way overpriced. perhaps if it cost 8 pramins or 5 I would consider buying it, 18, I can get a powered mill for 19 and that is infinitely more valuable.

Flag Post

I opened the peridot and got wings. In general i recomend peridot

Flag Post

I believe the point was, you open tourmaline for the low chance of getting those 2 special weapons, but if you don’t get them, then you will get some generally bad items. On the other side, most of peridot items are generally good but nothing truly special.

I think Nexon failed with those key packs. They say it’s on sale, but we don’t want 2 keys at regular price + some one-time use items. Rather, if there were a one-time key pack of 5 keys for 49 K, then I would actually buy that and test out my luck.

Flag Post

I tried with Peridot box and ended up with some green glasses. Considering they are free, I’m quite happy with them. They take up a slot on my beserker that wasn’t being used and has boosted his defence and health and he also now can read at a 6th grade level.

Flag Post

Used Tourmaline box and got a ruby and 3 diamonds. Good for those who need to craft like me.

Flag Post

Sleight of Hand is disgustingly good, imo, if you have a fuzzlehorn to eat everything. Otherwise its pretty meh. I got lucky on Tourmaline boxes, only 4 to Sleight of Hand, but two of them had diamonds and rubies. The last had potions or something, not very good.

I think if you have fuzzlehorn, go tourmaline. If not, go peridot.

Flag Post
Originally posted by YoyoTimes5:

Sleight of Hand is disgustingly good, imo, if you have a fuzzlehorn to eat everything. Otherwise its pretty meh.

lololol

So increased odds of getting rubies and diamonds combined with best melee weapon is “meh” now? I’d like to nominate you for “noob of the year” award.

Flag Post

What would I do with rubies and diamonds? I chose Peridot and it was the right choice I think.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Seizan_7:

Sleight of Hand is disgustingly good, imo, if you have a fuzzlehorn to eat everything. Otherwise its pretty meh.

lololol

So increased odds of getting rubies and diamonds combined with best melee weapon is “meh” now? I’d like to nominate you for “noob of the year” award.

This only applies if Peridot boxes don’t have diamonds and rubies, which it might since I don’t have experience opening those. The main point is that if you don’t have a fuzzlehorn, pickpocket II is a lot less useful, whereas the Monocle and White Wings are much more obviously useful. “Best weapon” is extremely debatable.

Unless only opening 4 tourmaline boxes somehow presents itself the entire tourmaline list and peridot list, I don’t think there’s much of a meaningful claim. The decision to open the boxes should be made on either —> average scenario, which cannot be obtained without comprehensive box lists or —> best case scenario, which is determined by the utility provided by sleight of hand.

Flag Post

the red boxes can give plague wings and savant mask as well

Flag Post

lololol

besides sleight of hand’s 2 speed (which is NOT what makes the weapon good, mind you) it’s a pretty meh weapon compared to refined t6 berserker weapon (and if you’re smart you’ll give sleight to a berserker). so this weapon is “meh”, except to noobs of the year like you

Flag Post
Originally posted by firecat6666:

lololol

besides sleight of hand’s 2 speed (which is NOT what makes the weapon good, mind you) it’s a pretty meh weapon compared to refined t6 berserker weapon (and if you’re smart you’ll give sleight to a berserker). so this weapon is “meh”, except to noobs of the year like you

The Sleight of Hand is good because of its high utility. How did you come to the conclusion that anyone would argue that stat wise its good at higher tiers? That’s absolutely ridiculous, especially since it already carries the drawback of disallowing set bonuses. Its utility is a function of what you can do with the items you obtain with it.

Stay classy, friend.

Flag Post

There’s absolutely no need for “noob of the year” comments. Personal attacks don’t make your point any better and is in fact a logical fallacy.

I’m at middle game, so the chance of getting a great weapon combined with the chance for diamonds (since I still need them) makes it an obvious case for Tourmaline, for my case.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kholdy:

There’s absolutely no need for “noob of the year” comments. Personal attacks don’t make your point any better and is in fact a logical fallacy.

I’m at middle game, so the chance of getting a great weapon combined with the chance for diamonds (since I still need them) makes it an obvious case for Tourmaline, for my case.

interesting, I’ve never heard of anyone using ad hominem to make a point. it’s used for other things, you know, for example offending someone.

Flag Post

If you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t give people advice. Otherwise you’re noob/idiot/troll. It’s very simple. I don’t know shit about baking, and you don’t see me going to bakery forums telling people what is and what isn’t good idea. If you played game for few days don’t act like you’re pro. Saying that Pickpocket II is “meh” is something only total noob would say, and that’s not personal attack, that’s a fact. I’ve seen more topics about increasing drop rates for items that you have posts. It is the weapon for time being. You’re free to think otherwise, but at least don’t try to mislead others. If you act like an idiot, people can call you an idiot, simple as that.

Flag Post

i opened 2 boxes looking for the weapons and i was very lucky..

1x plague wings
1x Sleight of Hand

Flag Post

sleight of hand IS meh if u have plenty of diamonds/rubies already and dont have a fuzzle.

It’s not THE weapon. It’s not an Excalibur that every warrior must use.

Its just a farming weapon for some people who need crafting mats. You’re just generalizing your shortage of diamonds/rubies and thinking its the same for everyone else. For people who don’t have such crafting needs (eg. someone at endgame whos only using resources for making food/potions for GD highscore), the stats on the weapon suck, and the skill is meaningless to them. By t6 every melee class has a weapon with better stats and set bonuses.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

where are my tourmaline, peridot boxes! o.O