[Skyshard Heroes] [Dev] Skyshard Roadmap

29 posts

Flag Post

The following represents our current roadmap for Skyshard Heroes development as well as some rough projected timing. Note that this may change as we continue to update, but we will keep you informed of any significant changes.

-World Map – Late January
We will be implementing a World Map which displays all players towns. This will include searching options to find other player’s towns. The World Map will serve as the basis for additional feature changes, including Raids and Conquest Season 4.

-Level Normalization – Late January
We will be moving “XP” to more of a vanity stat and changing the way levels are calculated. Levels will now be more representative of power level, calculated as the sum of Building, Hero, and Unit levels. This will provide a more fine-grained power level than the current Citadel-based system, which changes abruptly when going from (for example) Citadel 5 to Citadel 6.
The new intended level cap will be about Level 50. Many players will go up in level, and several will drop in level. However, this will not result in any functional difference except the range of players you can attack and be attacked by.

-Configurable Towers – February
To make defenses truly configurable and add another level of strategic depth, we are planning on allowing all towers to be changed to whatever the player wants – Mage, Archer, Flame, etc. This also gives us the ability to introduce new tower types (such as Lightning and Gatling) without increasing the total number of towers per town. All existing towers will persist (so nobody will lose any towers) but will be able to be switched.
This will require a significant rebalance as some towers are currently much more powerful than others. We will enlist significant player feedback on this, likely with a public test server.

-Raids – Late February
With configurable towers adding another level of depth, we will refocus on collaborative PvE content that will offer exclusive rewards (such as new Tower blueprints and additional Contracts). Raids will be similar to the Guulak and Gunjack events, but will require collaboration amongst several players to defeat them. They will be limited time events but initiated by players rather than one-off global events. They will also be aimed primarily as end-game content (for high-level players) rather than as content for all player levels. However, we will also try to introduce a small amount of raid content for low-level players to give a taste of high-end gameplay.

-Conquest 4 – around March
Conquest Season 4 will be focused heavily on integration with the World Map, and will also be playable by players without guilds. We will do away with the generic grid and will instead add more interesting strategic assets that can be taken over by anyone. Some strategic assets may offer sovereignty over regions on the World Map and give bonuses to allied players within a certain range. Other assets may provide additional resources or components for the Forge. Others still may give exclusive access to special raid content. This is still in preliminary design but more will be revealed soon.

Flag Post

That sounds excellent!
I can not wait!

Flag Post

This sounds great, and i for one appreciate the direction you appear to be taking. Keep up the good work.

Flag Post

Hows the Events scene coming along? I assume you guys intended to make more of that feature of the game and introduce new content on that front too, at some point?

Flag Post

that sounds good

Flag Post

I don’t post on the forums often, but I happened to be on when syn post the link to this thread so i’ll put in my own comment.

Originally posted by synapticon:

Looking forward to the world map, curious to see how that plays out, same with upcoming conquest season.

I’m sure this idea has been recommended by others and it looks like we are going to get it, fantastic! With the world map implemented in as well, looks like pvp will bring more potential that it currently does.

I like this idea. Nerf tower’s and give each player a option on how they should be laid out. But I recommend that each tower should have a “special ability,” whether it to take away armor buffs, slow down, increase strength of other towers, etc. That will take this strategy game to a whole another level! :D

-Raids – Late February

Hey, if raids help players who get CONSTANTLY get plundered by other players by earning those noted resources, bank them (inventory), I’m all forward with this, especially arcana. I hate the idea that i need 1.8m wood/metal the one day I need to get level 8 citadel, and know for a fact, that’s dozens of attacks of commitment to earn, and may just lose 30% of it if a player attacks me. I don’t have that kind of commitment.

This is the most important update, unfortunately I will be too busy to play Skyshard in March and will stop playing in May, was hoping to get a good experience out of “Conquest 4” in the next 2 months, but guess that’s too demanding. =L

Flag Post

I really hope the raids will be UBER difficult

Flag Post

Sounds good….but how about just concentrate on conquest first and get that pushed fast because theres no way people are gonna stay for another 2 months before this update lauches…this season is dead anyway, 2 months is over-doing it :/

Flag Post

i hope like higher lvls grant higher value powerlvl and not just adding it up by one lol

Flag Post

—It’s just like what Sean said. I no longer play Skyshard, i just browse the forum’s and log in for te lolz.

—When this game get’s enough content, I’ll come back and try playing again. I get frustrated playing games that aren’t going anywhere and that’s exactly where I’m at.

—Skyshard Heroes needs 1) LOTS OF [new] PLAYERS, playing with the same people is old, 2) more building ques (i wouldn’t recommend any player to this game with 1 building que) 3) more content, especially something that has nothing to do heroes or army attacking or defending a city, that’s what ruins the game, only give one thing for a player to do in every shape and form, game gets repetitive and player’s quit out of boredom. Need minigames and such, take my advice, game won’t go anywhere if that’s all this game is.

—As for the updates, time is money, if that’s your plan, go for it, but some players won’t stick around if the game isn’t fun anymore. Isn’t games supposed to be fun if your ahead of everyone else? Not this game, that’s a problem, needs to be fixed and more content to push new players to join.

—I wouldn’t make this long post unless I cared, kind of tired, going to bed. End.jpg.

Flag Post

Very nice It reminds me a game system I played before dn’t matter wht game was x)

Flag Post

Agree with SourFoe

Flag Post

These ideas would make this game QUITE similar to Dragons of Atlantis. Are you just copying ideas from there, Syn?

Flag Post

Thank you for updating the roadmap but I kinda expected an update earlier than the times you’ve posted because you were gone for so long but I guess these updates take alot of time. Looking forward to the future!

Flag Post
Originally posted by SeanKraZe:

Sounds good….but how about just concentrate on conquest first and get that pushed fast because theres no way people are gonna stay for another 2 months before this update lauches…this season is dead anyway, 2 months is over-doing it :/

This…

Originally posted by SourFoe:

—It’s just like what Sean said. I no longer play Skyshard, i just browse the forum’s and log in for te lolz.

—When this game get’s enough content, I’ll come back and try playing again. I get frustrated playing games that aren’t going anywhere and that’s exactly where I’m at.

… and this.

Now, what I have to say is:

1-Cool.

2-Cool, but maybe you should also add something that is level-based. Such as points to put in skills or base buffs to the town and such.

3-Yay! Awesome! And yes, balance might be necessary, but I don’t think there will be much to change. I feel like the only towers that will need to be changed is Web and Mage Towers, while all the others are quite well-balanced for the range:damage:AOE ratios, assuming that you’ll add more levels to the Gatling Sentry and Lightning Totem and make max level = current level 4.
However, what I think is very important here is the tower levels. Since they will be able to be interchanged, what needs to be done is a tower-training center. This is very important for balance, so hear me out all the way. There are three ways to do this.
First method: there needs to be something somewhere that allows one to “buy” (with resources) towers and stack them in a tower bank and upgrade them. This also requires being able to upgrade more than 1 tower type at a time or significantly reduce upgrade times (or maybe even remove upgrade times for tower Y if there are X amount of tower Y’s at level max), or it would kinda break the whole system. So the way it works is that all current towers become stored in that bank at their current levels and one can get some more towers up to a maximum of 16 each (current max total towers). So if someone wants to use only archer towers, they can (unless you want to put a limitation on that), and they will have to build and upgrade 11 more of them since we currently have 5. Now in the bank, one can have 14 of each tower at what ever level they upgraded them so that they can place the way they want up to a maximum of 16 placed towers.
Second method: In that same menu, you could simply put 2 buttons for each tower: “build” and “upgrade”. Now, the “build” button, simply increases the number of towers of that type that they own, and the “upgrade” button upgrades that type of tower, meaning all of the owned towers of that type will be upgraded. This will require some modifications for the times and resource costs, but it’s easily doable. So now one can build 16 of each tower in that menu, and then upgrade them all to max (in what ever order they want) or upgrade a certain type to max if they only want to use these, etc. As you said, this adds to the depth of strategy of the game.
Third method: Allow each tower type to be change to another by entering them, and doing so will change it to the equivalent level of that other tower. In other words, one could click a level 10 Archer Tower and change it to level 10 Fire Bunker. IMPORTANT: This third method will require increasing max level of Mage and Web (and all other towers) to level 10, and modify the stats and upgrade duration, costs, etc. This will also require a global upgrade system. In other words, when one upgrades a tower, it should take the same amount of resources and time to upgrade it as any other type, that way they can switch to a different type without causing unbalancing (because L8 Web Tower takes more time and resources than L10 Archer Tower, so one could switch to Archer Tower, upgrade it, then switch to Web Tower and save resources that easily).
PS: If you’re going to apply the third method, you HAVE to add what I mentioned, unlike what you did other times by taking a suggestion halfway and f**king up every body since what I predicted happened because you didn’t apply the suggestion all the way, then I get the blame.

4-Weeee!

5-I’ll just put more emphasis on what others said, bring conquest season 4 (Or rather, the real 3) sooner and switch it around with maybe the world map or what ever other feature that takes a while. This update is the most important of all since it’s what keeps the game running. Season 2 has been going on for way too long, and even if the current one is called 3, it’s still 2. March is mid-w/e-session for most people meaning mid-session exams, meaning less activity around that time. It’s not the best time to make such an update, really.

Anyhow, thanks for keeping us updated and keep up the good work.

Flag Post

IMO simple way to decrease buildings which we have to upgrade is doing another building, which would be responsible fo upgrading towers. I.e. let’s name it “Engineers Guild”, or something similliar, and there we would be able to upgrade towers level just as units in Training Ground.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Alrekus:

IMO simple way to decrease buildings which we have to upgrade is doing another building, which would be responsible fo upgrading towers. I.e. let’s name it “Engineers Guild”, or something similliar, and there we would be able to upgrade towers level just as units in Training Ground.

Yeah, that’s the summary of my 2nd method.

Flag Post

Am I the only one that thinks that most of these are kinda bad ideas? Seems so :/

We will be implementing a World Map which displays all players towns. This will include searching options to find other player’s towns. The World Map will serve as the basis for additional feature changes, including Raids and Conquest Season 4.

Sort of an okay idea, but this doesn’t really need to be fixed. However, games with this tend to have a negative impact on chat- the more active you are, the more people searching for your name in WM. And, I hope that you’re not planning on a BYM style world map- with tiles and upgradeable towns that take forever and get taken away too easily- I left there for a reason, y’know.

We will be moving “XP” to more of a vanity stat and changing the way levels are calculated. Levels will now be more representative of power level, calculated as the sum of Building, Hero, and Unit levels. This will provide a more fine-grained power level than the current Citadel-based system, which changes abruptly when going from (for example) Citadel 5 to Citadel 6.
The new intended level cap will be about Level 50. Many players will go up in level, and several will drop in level. However, this will not result in any functional difference except the range of players you can attack and be attacked by.

That’s a pretty huge functional difference, and again, not something that needs messing with- so, everyone playing now will basically be “about Level 50”, and everyone else will be newbs. OK. As long as I can still attack people with Cit7’s with my almost fully upgraded town (otherwise- be honest, what’s the point of upgrading if you’re only attacking people with same or better defenses than you?).

To make defenses truly configurable and add another level of strategic depth, we are planning on allowing all towers to be changed to whatever the player wants – Mage, Archer, Flame, etc. This also gives us the ability to introduce new tower types (such as Lightning and Gatling) without increasing the total number of towers per town. All existing towers will persist (so nobody will lose any towers) but will be able to be switched.
This will require a significant rebalance as some towers are currently much more powerful than others. We will enlist significant player feedback on this, likely with a public test server.

This is a change that sounds great on the surface, but given the history of the game so far, will pretty obviously fall flat on its face. Two cases: either one, or a couple, towers will be overpowered, and so everybody just gets those, or they’ll all be balanced, and the only difference to what we have now will be changing out a couple archers/flame bunkers for lightning towers/gatlings. I mean, it’s kinda cool, but there are easier ways to do it (i.e. remove archers/bunkers and add lightnings/gatlings), and we haven’t quite been good at balancing stuff to begin with.

-Raids – Late February
With configurable towers adding another level of depth, we will refocus on collaborative PvE content that will offer exclusive rewards (such as new Tower blueprints and additional Contracts). Raids will be similar to the Guulak and Gunjack events, but will require collaboration amongst several players to defeat them. They will be limited time events but initiated by players rather than one-off global events. They will also be aimed primarily as end-game content (for high-level players) rather than as content for all player levels. However, we will also try to introduce a small amount of raid content for low-level players to give a taste of high-end gameplay.

Basically, we’ll have to attack Guulak 50 times within an hour in order to get the blueprints for a mage tower. No thanks; that’s been done in other games before (to death).

Conquest Season 4 will be focused heavily on integration with the World Map, and will also be playable by players without guilds. We will do away with the generic grid and will instead add more interesting strategic assets that can be taken over by anyone. Some strategic assets may offer sovereignty over regions on the World Map and give bonuses to allied players within a certain range. Other assets may provide additional resources or components for the Forge. Others still may give exclusive access to special raid content. This is still in preliminary design but more will be revealed soon.

So what’s the point of guilds, now? >.>
I assume we’ll be able to relocate our town, of course, to surround these important assets? Well, it will be a LONG while before we get more conquest cores, so hopefully we get enough to build some things in the meantime.

Final questions- how will what we’ve done so far be translated into these updates? And, what will be done in the meantime for all the other problems with the game?
All in all, these sound like ideas for a completely different game (an amalgamation of several other games, which have been mentioned above), to be released several months from now in all its buggy glory, and it sounds like there will be enough changes that anything we’ve already done (upgraded defensive towers will disappear maybe?) will be for naught. You guys already have a game, and it’s pretty good- rather than completely redesigning it in a few months, maybe make some changes to hero balance and upgrade the towers in conquest, along with maybe a couple more minor changes, that can be released in a few weeks.

Flag Post

good synap really looking forward to the update and i got some doubts.1- will you change the amount of res and skycores the towers/buildings needs to be upgraded to higher lvls plus the time taken to upgrade them?(after implementing this tower switching update i can build a lvl 9 archer and switch it to lvl 9 web and amount of time taken to build and res needed is considerably saved for me and which causes helluva trouble for you)2-world map sounds good but it being implemented with conquest map,does it means that we will now need spreaded out players throught world map in order to control maximum amount of territories?3-XP system sounds really good but only those who played longer or those who can affort to spend money on games will have high lvl XP while the newly joined wont be able to able to earn exp right?4-raids sounds good but the teamwork is needed so will the order of players selected will be random or different,(random is good for low lvl players so they too will have a chance to participate but selected means not good for low lvl players and also strong guys tend to stick together so many will go without any team mates)5-not a question basically just a suggestion allow players to have more than 1 town that allows more strategy and fun to game,the home town shall become capital and other towns become first second third towns,etc.and also add guild capital(produces res which can only be used in conquest) which is upgradeble like normal territories where we get huge amount of res boost every upgrade so we can sustain on conquest and PvP battles without the need to donate res(keep this feature optional) and get the blow on our hometown.6-well i know this is far fetched but introducing world map means that players will be on all four corners of globe so will you be implementing a timing system ie time taken by troops to reach there or nearby before they start the raid?(this does not mean that as soon as troops reach they start attacking,it means they wait there or nearby till you order them and then coordinate the attack)

Flag Post

You mean… I could have SIXTEEN archer towers? good almighty god.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Manaco:

Go ahead and spam that. :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Corrupt0:

Go ahead and spam that. :P

[…]

Couldn’t resist. :)

Flag Post

This looks interesting…

Flag Post

DeathReaper:will you change the amount of res and skycores the towers/buildings needs to be upgraded to higher lvls plus the time taken to upgrade them?(

If ANYTHING will be reduced in cost or skycores do i get refunded the diffrence in skycores and the time in speedsups o.o

Flag Post

They don’t say anything about gunjack… does that mean we will not get gunjack for sure the coming 2 months?