[Vorp!] An idea about drones.

19 posts

Flag Post

Basically, in my idea, there will be 2 strange machines at the back of the base that will both do the same thing: use ATOMs to make normal or specialized drones that will attack the base in a path of your choice. Although these machines are impervious to bullets, once core shields are down, both machines will instantly explode, becoming unusable. Basically, when you reach these machines, you can press g to use them. You can use them no matter where you are on the battlefield. When doing this, you first get a list of all the drones you can use with their corresponding atom costs, then you get to choose which path through the base they take. The possible paths are shown here: http://imgur.com/qk8pw0X

When you do this, the ATOMs are taken out of your cargo and the ships you have asked for spawn at the machine and proceed to follow their instructed path. They engage buildings and structures on sight, but they will only engage an enemy or drone that is outside the enemy base after being significantly damaged by said enemy or drone. This way, the drones can actually get to their specific destinations without deciding to veer off and kill that one little enemy that just went past. EXP/ATOM gained from these drones picking up ATOMs/kiling things are shared with the team, no matter who made said drones.

Here is a list of all the drones I’ve came up with. What do you think? Are any of them OP?

1) 10 fighter drones: 400 ATOMs. It’s unlikely that even this many fighter drones will actually manage to kill something, but this many fighter drones will still create a vaguely effective diversion, so that’s why it’s not cheaper. These give only 2/5s of the EXP of a normal fighter drone.

2) 3 assault drones: 600 ATOMs. These could easily hold up a turret or annoy a player, though these lack firepower. These are still pretty pricey due to their ‘meat shield’ qualities, but they aren’t that costly. They give half the exp of regular assault drones.

And now for the drones I made up. If people like this idea, I’ll draw demos of the drones:

4) 5 poison drones: 950 ATOMs. These guys fire shots at a rate of about 2 a second. Their attacks do 7 damage with a 55 damage corrosive effect over 5 secs. This can stack 5 times. These ships have about 75% of the life of an assault drone, and move as fast as a ss venture using afterburners, so while these guys are just an annoyance in the end-game, a commander who saves up a lot of ATOMs in the start could easily create a diversion by unleashing these. They give a decent, but not overwhelming amount of experience on death.

5) 3 saw drones: 850 ATOMs. These drones have the life of an assault drone, and move as fast as a shinobi without afterburners. They are basically giant flying jabber-esque saw blades, and will throw themselves at whatever they choose to target. Their saw-bodies will do the damage of a lvl2 sharp edges. Although these guys will suck at structures, and not present much threat to a skilled pilot on their own, though if a close-range dps char flies with them, they will act as deadly wingmen that will take considerable chunks out of the enemies around them as the battle rages. On death, these give the same EXP as the poison drones.

6) 25 swarm drones: 750 ATOMs. These drones move about as fast as an un-boosting ant. These guys will half only 45% of the life of a fighter drone, and will attack with a version of the fighter drone’s phase beam which has the same range but slightly less damage and a much faster RoF. The point of these enemies is simply to confuse: Sure, they have the potential to kill something, but these things are pathetically weak: With a quick burst of firepower, these things will be quickly scattered and exploded. These enemies are simply the ultimate diversion: Upon seeing these, an unskilled player would get distracted, or at least overwhelmed if a commander attacks with the drones, allowing something else to happen somewhere else. On death, these give very, very little exp.

7) 2 support drones: 1000 ATOMs. These drones work as mini, in-effective ss ventures. They come equipped with a re-vorpanate which has half the power of the real re-vorpanate. They move speed of an assault drone, and then drop to half the speed of an assault drone when they leave their base, They have the life of 4 assault drones. They are just useful, tank-ish things to help frontal or final assaults. Their lack of speed as well as lack of stopping to attack as they have no weapons means that these ships are not great for side assaults. These things explode on death, dealing the damage of a lvl1 fiery death and giving an assault drone’s worth of exp.

8) 4 flak drones: 700 ATOMs. These drones move as fast as assault drones. They have a third of the life of assault drones. These drones basically come equipped with an AA-12. They stay back at longer ranges, showering everything with their rapid-fire shotguns when all the bullets are well-spread out. It has 10 projectiles that it shoots at a speed of 3 a second. Each projectile does 7 damage, and it’s shooting radius covers a slightly larger radius than a clank. When these ships lose half their life, they malfunction and stop shooting for 5 seconds. The purpose of these ships is to simply hit everything, and weaken things all round: When directly charged, they will die relatively easily, so they’re opportune use is behind something else, giving cover fire.

9) 3 rocket drones: 1200 ATOMs. These drones move at the speed of assault drones, and have twice the life of assault drones. Their main weapon is a rocket similar to the lvl1 BFG, just with the range of Quantum Pincer bullets, and slightly less damage. When the rocket drones target an enemy or sturcture, they stop moving and fire on it out of range. They turn slowly, and therefore are easy to kill if you run circles around them. The power behind these drones is that they fire out of range of things, and are therefore really good at taking out turrets and structures. They stay still so that they won’t die charging into battle, so as long as you keep them alive, they can severely cripple an enemy base.

10) 5 slow drones: 1300 ATOMs. These enemies move as fast as poison drones, and have twice the life of an assault drone. After leaving allied territory, these ships will still follow their path, though these ships will prioritize other commandos. Once these ships find a commando, they will stay nearby it, while using a neutron-overload like attack to slow down the commando as well as decreasing rotation speed, leaving the ship more vunerable to attacks. These drones are great for heavy offensives. While the drones de-buff the enemy, the commandos can take them out.

What d’you guys think?

Flag Post

Seems a bit good, I think they’re should be rewards for this. May I create the reward ideas and post them here?

(By rewards I mean like the end match things that give you B!.)

Flag Post

Sure! I’ll happily include them if they’re good. This is very much an idea in progress. New things will be added to it as this thread develops ^^.

Flag Post

Yeah!

Swarmy: Send in a group of swarms and have them kill a commander. 50 B! (Repeatable)

The classics: Send in both 1) and 2). 150 B! (repeatable)

Costy: Buy 10). 5 B! (Repeatable)

All time droney: send in ALL drones in any match. 500 B! (NOT repeatable)

That might be all for now. But 1cloneftw, I have a idea, its like this in a way. Should I put a link to this idea in the thread?

Flag Post

Why not, it’ll be interesting to see :3.

Flag Post

I will edit THIS post with the link once I make it.

EDIT: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/187-vorp/topics/322019-ship-levels

Flag Post

Quite a fancy idea i must say :D

Flag Post

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :P

Flag Post

Good.

Flag Post

Sounds like the AirMech purchase system.

Flag Post

first i thought like “10 drones at once!?” then later on “25!?”. sure you might adjust the exp/vorp reward of said drones down a little but still im afraid this might lead to massive feeding. just imagine a hiru coming across 10 fighter drones – heaven.

please dont get me wrong, this really seems like an interesting idea to spice the game up a little but the details need some work ;)

Flag Post

@spower, what AirMech purchase system is this? :P

@ChenMasio good point! I tweaked it a little so that the fighter drones sent by the machine give much less exp, and so that the swarm drones give just about no exp.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1cloneftw:

@spower, what AirMech purchase system is this? :P

@ChenMasio good point! I tweaked it a little so that the fighter drones sent by the machine give much less exp, and so that the swarm drones give just about no exp.

Those swarm drones would be really hard to fight for a low-level Hirudo.
On the other hand, the lowest amount of EXP those swarm drones could give is 10, lowest ATOMs 25.

Flag Post

Also hirudo has max targets so 25 little drones would take longer than you think. its just that you don’t hit the max target limit often. I also think the atom cost needs to be upped a little bit.
Also I think the drones I would buy the most would be one that go up your sides and give you vision and are really slow or wait at the edge of your base.

Flag Post

I believe that hirudo’s max targets is around 10~11 (7-10 for shadow circuit + 2 for nectron overload). In the heat of battle it is really hard to count the number of SC tendrils there are (especcially since it constantly moving in and out of range and destroying targets. The max that it could be, however unlikely is 15 (I believe i ran into about that many drones + players and it started to leave some out)

Flag Post

Woah. Thanks for all this feedback, guys! I really appreciate the help :3.

@Gorgomi yeah, the 25 drones’ main advantage is supposed to be that they are, well, really hard to fight. I mean, they shouldn’t be able to kill anything nor directly help out an offensive/defensive, but they basically supposed to bug the crap outta whatever it is attacking, creating diversions, showing player locations, and just generally being a disruption. So I’m glad about that feedback :3.

@klackerer I considered upping the prices on all the drones. But the thing is, due to the fact that you lose all your ATOMs when dying and when going to a depot, the current prices might be pretty damn hard to reach anyway.

Flag Post

Shadow circuit can hit up to 5. Necton overload 2, but often overlapping with shadow circuit, so about 6.

Flag Post

Also bear in mind that once one swarm drone dies, the nectron overload can just move onto another. And swarm drones seem to have very little life, so one branch could (the operative word here being could) take out 1.5 or 2 swarm drones.

Flag Post

can we not have the machines explode when core shields are down? instead, they shud double their output or something… its hard enough to defend the base and we cud use some help