[Dungeon Overlord] [Official] Dungeon Overlord™ Thief conversation

12 posts

Flag Post

As we’ve been reviewing the AI for the upcoming Advanced Player-Combat “Lord of the Underworld” update, we would like to fully address the issues with Thieves.

The team is looking for feedback regarding what you would like to see for Thief behavior. In the past, players have had a lot of opinions, but we’re looking on for a fresh take.

This thread is for suggestions and discussions regarding the Thief specifically. The team is excited to use this feedback as they work to make the Thief a fully viable combat unit.

Flag Post

crickets?

Flag Post

What’s wrong with thieves? Everyone uses them. Not the most broken thing.

Flag Post

Players have commented in the past about their “dance” you often see in Battle Playbacks, as well as their priorities in battle, when they struggle between attacking and disarming. We’re just looking for player feedback.

Flag Post

well yes, fix their battle AI a bit. No major change needed, they are fine. Just fix the part where if they have multiple targets they stand their dancing frozen til murdered. Have them pick one based on chance.

Flag Post

That’s a major part of what we’re looking into. Based on some of the other feedback, we’re going to work on them focusing on a priority. Of course, if they’re disarming, and they’re getting beat on, they’ll stop disarming to defend themselves. Otherwise, right now it seems like they struggle with what they should be doing, and the team is looking at how that can be improved.

We were asking players what their thoughts were, as far as what they would like to see for priorities, and what they expect the Thief to do in certain situations.

Flag Post

get rid of the part where they break through traps to get where they want, then decide they need to go to the other end of the dungeon to disarm a trap that wasn’t in the path of any incoming creatures, or on his way out. He should only worry about the traps between his own entrance and his target, none of the other ones. (unless you’ve already addressed this.)

Flag Post

I think it’s been addressed. The ultimate goal is to not have the Thieves struggle to determine priority, which is their biggest current issue, and leads to most of their misbehavior. I’ll mention that specific issue, and find out of the changes should resolve it.

Flag Post

Maybe you can create a behavior interface panel that allows the player to choose the priorities of the thief. For instance, they could choose to have the thief prioritize ranged enemies, or prioritize traps. Could be as simple as an extra button on the creature panel.

Flag Post

I think that the suggestion by Spoon512 is a excellent idea to add more tactics to this game. Currently, the only thing you can do tactics-wise is select which monsters you want to uses and which delays you would like to send them at. I think that if you would be able to select a priority for each creatures such as, attack lowest hp target, attack lowest def target, attack highest lvl target, etc. This would add a great dynamic to this game. These behavior priorities could be overwritten by taunting mechanics, etc to still maintain the protector/damager relationships.

Flag Post

Akk, I just try to imagine how many more mouse clicks you are creating for the 400+ raids I queue up a day. Because of the macro-management aspects of this game, I really wouldn’t want more micro-management. The things that sound like a good idea when you can send 3 raids from each of your 4 dungeons sound horrible if you’re instead managing 5 raids from each of your 14 dungeons.

Flag Post

Especially for this pass, there won’t be any additional systems implemented. This was just to determine how to better focus the Thief, and what his priorities should be.

The adjustments, to be released as part of the Lord of the Underworld update, stop Thieves from “Stacking” up. Thieves will now pass others that are working on Traps. If multiple Thieves are sent into battle, multiple Traps can be worked on at one time. Any Thieves that do not have an eligible Trap to disarm will engage in combat. While a Trap is being Disarmed, it will not Trigger. Additionally, Thieves will attempt to Restealth if possible. If there is a point where a Thief can disengage from battle, he will remove himself, and attempt to once again enter Stealth.