[Dungeon Overlord] Lord of the Underworld Update

28 posts

Flag Post

The Dungeon Overlord™ team is putting the final touches on The Lord of the Underworld, Advanced Player-Combat Update, and is concluding our internal testing. As we address the remaining bugs and issues, we want to invite the community to assist us with some additional testing and balance evaluation.

Once we have determined the update is stable and ready, we will invite players to access our Public Test server world. Initially, this server world will be loaded with the same data that is on Infernal Abyss. We ask during this time, players with accounts established on Infernal Abyss log onto our Public Test server world to verify aspects of the Update. This includes the Resource Node changes, as well as the additional player-combat, and Campaign game features. This portion will only last a few days. During this time, any bugs that come up, will be verified and addressed. We will then remove this content from the Public Test server world.

The Public Test server world will then be wiped in order to start fresh. Players will be able to again access the Public Test server world; however, they will have fresh accounts, which have been accelerated. Full details on this will be released when we are ready to invite players to participate in this stage. During this time players will be invited to fully immerse themselves in the Campaign Game, attempting to win the server. This will give us the opportunity to see the bulk of the Lord of the Underworld features in play, and address any issues before it is released on the existing server worlds.

The data on the Public Test server will then be wiped a final time. It is the appropriate time in our server world cycle to release another Facebook server world. It’s been over a year since we introduced Infernal Abyss. The new server world will function on the same rule set as Necropolis and Annihilation. The team decided to use this as an opportunity to invite players to participate in the testing of this content intensive update. Since we planned a new server world for Facebook, we will first use it as a Public Test environment. After all testing is complete, and we prepare to add the Lord of the Underworld Update to our existing server worlds, we will also release the third Facebook server world, complete with the update.

The first phase of this testing plan will be coming shortly. In the meantime, you can prepare for the Update by reviewing the most up-to-date Lord of the Underworld outline, on our Dungeon Overlord Blog We are very excited for this opportunity to work with the community through the final phases of testing, before this Update’s release, and look forward to this experience!

Flag Post
Originally posted by NightOwl_Pellets:

Once we have determined the update is stable and ready, we will invite players to access our Public Test server world. Initially, this server world will be loaded with the same data that is on Infernal Abyss. We ask during this time, players with accounts established on Infernal Abyss log onto our Public Test server world to verify aspects of the Update. This includes the Resource Node changes, as well as the additional player-combat, and Campaign game features. This portion will only last a few days. During this time, any bugs that come up, will be verified and addressed. We will then remove this content from the Public Test server world.

Thank you for you many updates about Facebook and your great plans for more servers on Facebook. Did you post to them about all the wonderful things you’ll be doing for us here at Kongregate?

Flag Post

Kongregate will be receiving the Lord of the Underworld update at the same as the Facebook server worlds. We would invite anyone on Kongregate to participate in the public test server world when it’s open.

Flag Post

Could we have a more precise timeline? Try this format:
Test Server: copy phase lasting X-X
Test Server: accelerated restart lasting X-X (fine if the end is a little vague)
New Facebook Server: estimated start time X
Updates applied to existing servers: X

We on Kong have waited a month with no information and I doubt many will stay (or switch servers) if the update isn’t actually coming soon

Flag Post

Kongregate will be receiving the Lord of the Underworld update at the same as the Facebook server worlds. We would invite anyone on Kongregate to participate in the public test server world when it’s open.

If the test server is a copy of IA, how will we take you up on your invitation, Pellets? We’ll just start a new account that will then be wiped “a few days” later? Or do you mean we’re invited to start playing on the test/Facebook server during the much longer period when you’re waiting for brand new players to get all the way to literal end of the game so that you can wipe it again? And don’t you think that recruiting your small player base away from the dying servers you already have to a new test server will … hasten the death of your existing servers?

Flag Post

Also, you stealth updated notes have other strange new additions we haven’t heard about before. May I ask questions about why:

• travel time between regions will drop to 2 hours and between continents to 4 hours? were regional invasions too slow motion or something?
  • starters will be conquerable?
  • hearts will obtainable much sooner with conquest party instead of king of the mountain tech?

Just so surprising to continue to see new proposed features from you guys that don’t make any sense to us as players.

Flag Post

We don’t have a precise Timeline, as we will do each step as soon as we can. So, once our internal testing is done, which is dependent on any bugs that need to be addressed, will will start the first phase. That will last a few days, again, depending on any bugs that need addressed. Players who have established accounts on Infernal Abyss can log in and verify their Nodes and other features look satisfactory.

As soon as that seems stable, we will wipe the server, and implement the accelerated accounts. This has nothing to do with any existing server worlds. Players will, however, need a Facebook account to log-in. During this we hope players will start working through the Campaign Game and using the Advanced Player-Combat features. After we have addressed any issues that arise from this phase, the server will once again be wiped.

At the same time we apply the Lord of the Underworld Update to existing servers, we will launch the latest Facebook server.

The latest outline is an update of the previous version. Many of the additions were based on feedback from discussions both on the Kongregate forums, as well as our Official forums.

Flag Post

The latest outline is an update of the previous version. Many of the additions were based on feedback from discussions both on the Kongregate forums, as well as our Official forums.

I keep hearing that, but I see no indication of it, Pellets. So again, to summarize: you would like for us to leave the Kongregate platform where we are customers and join your non-Kongregate environment. How does Kongregate feel about that?

Flag Post

Since we maintain forums at multiple locations, we facilitate multiple conversations. Players on Kongregate are give the same opportunities to discuss features. Since conversations take place in multiple locations, with a variety of players, it’s possible that you won’t see everything that’s discussed. However, since both the Kongregate, and Official Forums are public, you can easily view the conversations that take place on both.

Flag Post

Show me where players said they wanted to delay the actual update for an interminable time while a new, temporary server world tested it (and on Facebook, at that). Likewise, who wanted starters to be conquerable?

Couldn’t you at least apply the node changes after the first test phase ends?

Flag Post

Don’t you notice that you lose your playerbase on Kong? You told us it would come around christmas, we were patient. Then you told us it would come around New Year, we were patient. Now it’s end of january and you tell us you will run a test server on Facebook (!) and that we get it – when? In one month? Two months? Damn, give us at least something, cause we got sick waiting. Instead making new servers everywhere, take care of your actual costumers.

Flag Post

Since we maintain forums at multiple locations, we facilitate multiple conversations. Players on Kongregate are give the same opportunities to discuss features. Since conversations take place in multiple locations, with a variety of players, it’s possible that you won’t see everything that’s discussed. However, since both the Kongregate, and Official Forums are public, you can easily view the conversations that take place on both.

Pebbles, again — I sometimes think you’re making customer relations WORSE and not better through your activities. So, basically, with the above, you’re telling us we have to participate in your other forums to have any input on your game plans. Which of course explains why it always looks like you’re trying to steal Kongregate’s customers away to your other platforms.

How does Kongregate feel about that?

Flag Post

The Update is not being delayed for participation in the Public Test server world. The time players will be participating, is time that we will still be conducting internal tests, especially for the Advanced Player-Combat and Campaign Game, we are able to run these tests simultaneous to Public Testing.

The entire Update will be applied at the same time, so once testing is complete, we will update all functionality. Since the Node enhancement is so closely related to Advanced Player-Combat, they will not be applied separately.

You don’t have to participate on Facebook, however, the most ideal place for the Public Test server world was on Facebook.

You can participate in the conversations here, however, other players’ input is important as well, and is taken from other discussions.

Flag Post

Pellets, you’re not even trying to smokescreen well today. What a pile of incoherent gibberish.

Flag Post

So you’re saying that, a month after the proposed update day, you still require a still undefined period of testing?

Also, please answer all of our questions, rather than repeating the same hollow arguments.

Why won’t you apply the node update? It seems like an easy fix and I fail to see the close relationship to APC that you claim. Sure, APC is somewhat dependent on the nodes, but the nodes are not dependent on it.

Flag Post

The Node Update, Advanced Player-Combat Update, and Campaign Game Update are not implemented separately. This is one full Update, with many features. It’s not possible to just have the Nodes Update, as it is fully written in with the rest of the system. Everything will be applied at once.

Flag Post

I have some questions about the possibility to conquer starters later:

- As i understand it, you will just lose it and not get a new starter, unless your starter was your only dungeon. That means, everybody can let their starters get conquered and just get a better dungeon instead. So I can’t abandon my starter, but i can just ask someone to conquer it instead? I don’t think that’s a good idea, everybody should get a new starter automatically.

- What are “items that are generally applied to your starter by default”? And why don’t they stick to the dungeon slot like all other things you apply to a dungeon?

- What will happen if i conquer an inactive’s starter and it’s his only dungeon? Will he get a new starter too?

Flag Post

We are looking into making Starters Abandonable in general. The biggest reason we don’t want to just give everyone a new Starter right away, is it will likely be in a new Region, which separates your bases. If all of your Dungeons are taken, then you can rebuild everything together.

Your Daily Chests specifically.

Yes, he will, the next time he logs in. So, if he never logs in, he’ll never be replaced.

Flag Post

Okay, thanks for your answers. Making starters abandonable in general would indeed solve some problems with this new feature.

Flag Post

If I take a new slot with my formerly gimped starter slot, I assume that all the other functions of it transfer to the next dungeon I take — like tile packs, or the ability to teleport it to slaughter newbies for 99DM?

Can you explain why you continue modify the game to encourage old players to slaughter newbies? It’s really going to make it tough on new players if it continues that way and you continue to optimize the game to make that tactic more, rather than less, attractive. Let’s call it “The Death Star(ter) Problem”. For example, your proposed changes make it even EASIER to teleport in and just start pillaging — before you had to set up a second dungeon and transfer the ogres from your Death Star(ter) to the second dungeon to start pillaging. Now, it sounds like I could be pillaging someone 15 minutes after I pay you to teleport the dungeon. Also, by extending teleporting to include friend slots in dungeons … and increasing the number of friend slots …. you’re making mountains with hearts even more difficult to defend against the Death Star(ter).

I keep resisting utilizing the tactic because I assumed it was an exploit you were going to fix, but clearly … you want me to hunt newbies, or at least players less than half my army strength (since defense can stack +100% that offense can’t).

Flag Post

We have talked about limitations, particularly a timer for moving Starter Dungeons. Especially with the player concerns relating to the Starter abilities with this Update, it’s something we continue brainstorm on, for the best iteration. I’ll give you more details on any decisions made.

Flag Post

I disagree with Resources Nodes able to be raided as a mine tile. There is certain layouts you will not be able to mine the resources and protect your rooms at the same time.

Flag Post

krazi444, we definitely understand player’s concerns with that, and have a potential solution. We are looking into implementing it, and will update you if it’s successfully altered.

Flag Post

We don’t have a precise Timeline, as we will do each step as soon as we can. So, once our internal testing is done, which is dependent on any bugs that need to be addressed, will will start the first phase. That will last a few days, again, depending on any bugs that need addressed. Players who have established accounts on Infernal Abyss can log in and verify their Nodes and other features look satisfactory.

As soon as that seems stable, we will wipe the server, and implement the accelerated accounts. This has nothing to do with any existing server worlds. Players will, however, need a Facebook account to log-in. During this we hope players will start working through the Campaign Game and using the Advanced Player-Combat features. After we have addressed any issues that arise from this phase, the server will once again be wiped.

At the same time we apply the Lord of the Underworld Update to existing servers, we will launch the latest Facebook server.

I play on kongregate. I dont do apps on facebook, or games, or or allow any apps in any way to access my profile. My profile is my personal and professional life. Its not a gaming site.

Making us have a facebook account to access the test is hogwash.

You opening YET ANOTHER SERVER is hogwash.

All you are doing is hoping for a flood of nubs to spend money, yet again, so you can pocket as fast as you can. Because, you seem unable to make changes to attract players, or fix long term game issues to keep it interesting.

It is a very interesting rinse/repeat cycle you have going on here.

You put your game on kong, dont dare ask me to have to go to facebook to test updates. Put it on kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by nothingelse89:

Don’t you notice that you lose your playerbase on Kong? You told us it would come around christmas, we were patient. Then you told us it would come around New Year, we were patient. Now it’s end of january and you tell us you will run a test server on Facebook (!) and that we get it – when? In one month? Two months? Damn, give us at least something, cause we got sick waiting. Instead making new servers everywhere, take care of your actual costumers.

Based on his initial post, you are talking 2 wipes before they even start it. One is “accelerated”. so only months instead of say a year. This is garbage.