[Sword & Magic] Why I think mage is the strongest and possibly OP

12 posts

Flag Post

There are three classes in this game: Fighter, Mage and Rogue. Below I will compare what I consider the two strongest Fighter and Mage. I will do my best to explain why Mage is OP by comparing stat distribution.

On a fighter, here are how stats lvl per point:

STR
Physical Attack Max +3
Physical Attack Min +1
Physical Defense +1
DEX
Physical Attack Min +2
Physical Defense +1
Hit Rate +0.1
INT
Magical Defense +3.
LUK
Physical Attack Max +2
Dodge Rate +0.1
Critical Hit +0.1

Now Mage:

STR
Physical Defense +2
Magical Defense +1
DEX
Physical Defense +1
Magical Attack Min +2
Magical Defense +1
Hit Rate +0.1
INT
Magical Attack Max +4
Magical Attack Min +2
LUK
Magical Attack Max +2
Magical Defense +1
Critical Hit +0.1

Comparing each stat you can see that on a per point basis Mage has no waste at all. You can put an AP point into anything and it will be useful for more than one attribute. On the other hand, if you place points into INT for Fighter, you are only using that AP point for one attribute.

To be thorough, let’s compare more closely. First off, let’s compare a Figther’s STR stat to a Mage’s INT stat. Immediately we see a vast difference Min/Max Attack on Fighter is 1/3 on Mage it’s 2/4. You may say, “Well, Fighter gets Phys. Def.” I’ll counter with my next comparison.

Let’s look at all the stats that grant class specific defense; in other words Phys Def for fighters and Mag Def for Mage. On Fighter STR and DEX grants +1 Phys def. On mage STR, DEX, and LUK grant +1 Mag def. Another piece of evidence to support the no waste opinion I have.

Next let’s compare the opposite; in other words Mag Def for Fighters and Phys Def for Mage. On Fighter only 1 stat raises Mag Def and that’s INT. On Mage 2 stats do and they are STR and DEX. You may say, “Well, on Fighter INT raises Mag Def +3” but you are forgetting something. It doesn’t raise anything besides Mag Def. Which means it’s not as usefull as a Mage’s STR or DEX which not only raise Phys Def, but also something else that a Mage will need.

I truly think Mages are OP. They have no waste and since not many people play them, people don’t spec with them that heavily in mind. Honestly, if I could I would delete my character save and make a Mage.

Flag Post

you just forgot to say that fighters win 40 hp per level and mages 20 and fighters have a passive that gives them hp, allowing them to aim on itens for more str/des itens, instead of mages, that have to aim hp/def/int based itens, that is a lot harder to find

Flag Post

Mages don’t get +2 m atk min for dex. They also get slaughtered by rogue/assassins/rangers.

Flag Post

I think MeisterEnvull might have a point. I don’t have anything to say about his points at this moment and so I concede.

Kynzl: Hmm. I took these numbers off the wiki. I guess it’s inaccurate.

Flag Post

Honestly I think it is quite the opposite. Mages are UP, they cannot avoid any damage like rogues and they cannot block like fighters. They completely lack anything to make up for this stat difference as well.

Flag Post

Mages have potential to be OP, but not because of some ridiculously miniscule stat difference. Stat gain per level is not 1/1/1/1, sometimes it’s 1/0/0/0, other it’s 0/1/1/1 and I think there was also 0/0/1/0 (for mage anyway), which alone makes your point invalid. Then there are passives: archmage has one (at least according to not-so-accurate wiki) that boosts int by % value, so obviously no sane person would increase str on archmage, again making entire point moot. Speaking of % value, that’s another reason why +3 MDef/1 int is better deal than you think: because it lets fighters have high both type of defences (PDef from equips, Mdef from stats) as opposed to mages’ very high Mdef and low Pdef.

@Ziberac: mages can heal, which makes them best PvE class IMO. In PvP they can massacre others with raw damage, since remaining 2 classes have weak MDef on gear. So all classes are more or less balanced at this point.

Flag Post

Not exactly, I think rogues are still on the lower end here. Both other classes have the option to dual wield. That alone makes a noticable difference.

Flag Post

Dual wielding has a lot of downsides: you need one more passive to increase damage, which takes both precious slot and time to develop; you need to unlock and level up entire crafting category if you want to craft it; you’re more item-dependant, since you need to get 2 good items instead of 1. And last but not least: at lvl 40 4 out of 6 subclasses can only use 2h weapons. Who cares about levels 10-30 if majority of your game time will be spend as subclass at 40+?

Flag Post

Here’s my two cents. Right now in PvP, it’s

Knights => Berserkers > Archmage > Assassin > Priest > Ranger

Knights and Berserkers want 100% of their points in STR, Archmages want 100% of their points in INT, Assassins want to go for pure Dodge (really the only reason to go Assassin) so they go pure DEX. Don’t waste stat points on stats that give HIT chance, you can get much higher HIT rolls from gear, and the only people who you’re going to be missing against are Assassins.

At higher levels it’s very luck/RNG based. Your potential damage skyrockets, while your defensive stats become almost useless. Raw HP is the only defense stat you want, since it increases your chances of surviving a high-end hit or crit. This is why Knights are so strong, they get two passives that give extra HP, also Dual Wielding 1H + Dagger gives more raw DPS than a 2H and has more bonus stat rolls (12 vs 6).

Flag Post

Lol that’s barily a downside to dual wielding. A big part of this game is min maxing, people WILL do it to get the noticible advantage regardless of what hoops they have to jump through.

Following the games passive skill trend, Assassins should have dual wielding. Example, they miss out on the huge passive stat buff that Archs, Zerks & Rangers get.

Flag Post

You forget to factor in armor values.. fighters are tanks, mages are glass cannons.. how it is in every game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cervantes01:

You forget to factor in armor values.. fighters are tanks, mages are glass cannons.. how it is in every game.

Armor is almost completely irrelevant in PvP at higher levels. You are usually going to kill or be killed in two hits. Raw maximum HP is the only stat worth crap. Both fighter classes get 1k free HP off Vigor and Knights get a massive % increase, which makes them far and away the tankiest.

It’s different in PvE because there are a lot of mobs and you have to be able to take a lot of hits. Also healing is more effective if you’re mitigating damage instead of soaking it.