[Zombie Pandemic] Tips for new players

40 posts

Flag Post

Hey so does anybody have any hints or suggestions for new players like my self. I really enjoy the game and any info would be helpful.

Flag Post

invest in getting ammo and painkillers if you prefer melee. make sure to do missions because they are a giant help and easy sometimes

Flag Post

Best way to get specific ammo is to buy empty shells from College Campus [36,30], crafting projectile heads from sheet of metal [29,26], and get gunpowder from breaking down not-needed ammo or crafting potassium and coal together. Also if you finish Abbey’s quest on [30,33] you will get a Single Action Army as a end reward which is a pistol that uses .45 ammo, shoots up to 46 feet and does 9-12 damage as a base.

Flag Post

I hear people talking about safehouses, what are they and how can I find them?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redlaw:

I hear people talking about safehouses, what are they and how can I find them?

You need to join a clan before being able to enter a safehouse. They are scattered throughout the map and are identified by purple arrows rather than red or yellow arrows.
They provide a variety of uses, mainly safety from zombies (pretty much a rest stop). In order for more uses to be available, it needs to be upgraded (which requires a bunch of clan members helping out).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Stidukka:

Best way to get specific ammo is to buy empty shells from College Campus [36,30], crafting projectile heads from sheet of metal [29,26], and get gunpowder from breaking down not-needed ammo or crafting potassium and coal together. Also if you finish Abbey’s quest on [30,33] you will get a Single Action Army as a end reward which is a pistol that uses .45 ammo, shoots up to 46 feet and does 9-12 damage as a base.

This is a pretty good tip, that gun is pretty awesome early on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by quotion:
Originally posted by Stidukka:

This is a pretty good tip, that gun is pretty awesome early on.

Eh got this hoping for a good gun after .22 junior rifle but then I realized I couldn’t get any ammo without moving pretty far away from the college. So I just went with the hi-power pistol.

Flag Post

Any tips about armor? I have a weapon and everything, but I’m still like in my pajamas.

Flag Post

You can fast travel to places you have already been, which is pretty useful to get to safehouses quickly.

Flag Post

When u pick cardboard boxes, u can equip them for each quick slot. if u equip all of them at quick slots, additional 8 pounds for your carryweight (8-0.8 lb). However don’t forget to put bandage into quick slot. I only recommend 4 cardboard box if u need to increase carryweight desperately

Flag Post

Character Build Guide (tip)

My tip is based on when I played old version ZP and current Mutant Badlands (especially Gopthrosnir, audal, Ugicywapih’s advice).

• do not be jack of trade at beginning (when you level up, do not put ur stat separately).
  • if you r considering endgame, constitution is your best bet!!!

because con cannot be trained but others can,

while u invest every stat points on constitution to 200, u can train other critical stat such as agility or close combat.

After your con reached 200, u might wonder which stat you should put…

• Agility – As you know, it determine how u can run away effectively from battles, even when enemies engaged in front of you (close enemies reduces escape possibility). The another key point of agility is how u can dodge from ranged attacks effectively. I am not sure close-combat though. When I play MB, I do feel a little more dodging in close combat with 150 agility than 30 agility. if you want run away as you want, 100. If you encounter a lot of ranged enemies – at least 150.
  • Close CombatMust have for close combat fans (most players would be, unless you have unlimited ammo to use guns every time). It is not only about how u can hit enemies accurately. It also determine how you can dodge enemies’s close attack. In MB (MB and ZP use same game engine and system) Gopthrosnir tested it with 200 close combat with melee enemies (animal species muties). He told me that his character dodge 20% effectively, 50% when he activated focus defense. Very critical stat if you are much like a blade master.
  • Marksmanship – Key stat for if u want save ammo for killing muties with ranged weapon.. i mean zombies. It also affect how u can hit effectively with bows and explosives. I heard there is required Marksmanship for each weapons to use effectively (shotgun has less requirement). I have no solid fact to prove it, therefore i wish someone can test on it. Actually nothing wrong to use a sniper rifle with marksmanship 30, but do not expect same quality as when u use it with marksmanship around 100.
  • Strength – You can consider about it if u want to be pure melee, because as u can see, it is multiplier for close combat damage. It also increase your carry weight too, nevertheless I won’t raise it for carry weight. You can manage your carry weight effectively by buying better a bag, recycle junks into construction points (Clan safe house), putting them in barricade, and constructing the escape project (but don’t bother to complete it, cuz it is connected with retiring ur character).
  • Technical – I won’t bother to maximize to 200, yet if you want to craft some good stuffs (very good close combat weapon and armors), you may considering about investing into tech some points. Just in case, if you can acquire 1-2 weapons which increase tech (e.g. nail guns in MB, which increase 12 for each), equip them when u want to craft, you don’t have to increase to 120. After you begin to craft, put them back into ur inventory (or storage) and equip previous weapons (then start killing spree on low level enemies). It is also stated which decrease the construction time in clan safe house upgrade, yet according to few players in MB, it is not functioning. I hope someone can verify about it in ZP.
  • Smart – I never bother with it. You might consider it if you want venture around high level zombies area with only looting, not killing. (if you are engaged into battle when you move to another area, you cannot loot items unless u kill nearby zombies). because it affect how you can avoid ambush when u approach another area which filled with zombies/muties. Funny part is… i have not meet anyone who tested on it. I may consider to test it on MB if My char maximized other stat first (but when) It also affect some quest’s smart check. Personally it is not major issue with me. even with 30 smart in old ZP and MB, I can complete most quest and it does not have big affection when u successfully passed the check or not.

Character Build Type

• Melee (cost effective) 200 con → 100 close combat → 100 agility → 150 close combat → 100 Strength.

You might not need 100 agility right after close combat, but it helps you to avoid unnecessary (difficult) battles at ease.

• Gunslinger (Legolas or good Luck with ammo) 200 Con → 150 Agility → 150 Marksmanship .
  • Berserker (screw cons! i want to start killing spree right away) 150 close combat → 150 con or strength or agility

if you don’t have good weapon or armor, you can raise your tech around 96 in anytime.

• I hope you found this useful and pardon my grammar and English. It’s been long time I wrote in English. You are welcome to criticize my guide too, I do admit that this guide is not perfect.

©My guide is not solely from my experience. I thank to Gopthrosnir, audal, Ugicywapih and some MB users in the chat for many advice and lastly my characters Yuko, Charley, Aiesha, Goza in Mutant Badland, Yuko in Zombie Pandemic

Flag Post

Clan tips.

• Get into a clan ASAP.
  • Clan Safe house provides protection from zombies when u r log off in clan safe house.
  • Clan Safe House can increase your training cap for free
  • Clan safe House can provide you Storage room/Armory/Food Storage for putting your junks.
  • Adding upgrade’s ingredients gives you some exp.
  • Helping a facility’s construction also gives you exp.
  • Recycling your stuff also gives you exp and generate construction points. Construction Points is also required for every upgrade.
  • When your SP ran out, help clan’s construction if there is one.
  • Be initiative for clan facility upgrade, assisting because as long as you aid facility improvement, you also get slice of service such as increasing stat cap, sickbay (healing HP in minimum sp) storage and so on.
  • even though it is mentioned about being initiative above, nevertheless never sacrifice yourself too much for your clan, because you also need ur own sp, cash for your character’s survival too.
  • when you are starting about upgrading facility, always consider generator’s power. You cannot upgrade/build anything if there is no power. Therefore, never bother with Radio Room and Lookout Post cuz they are not functioning yet. Even if clan’s generator lv is low, ask clan member who has the permit for dismantling Radio Room and Lookout Post.
  • Resting in Clan’s Living quarter is not bad idea if you will be back in 3-4 hrs. if your are not (longer than 3-4hr), set your char as training.
  • If you have some opportunities to chat with ur clan members in Kongregate Chat, be gentle, don’t be troll.
  • Only Clan Master can set permit for clan members. As soon as you become clan member, you cannot enter clan safe house right away unless Clan master set permit for you.

Conclusion for Clan Safe House

Clan Safe House is a Community Center sanctuary for Hobo survivor like yourself.

Have fun.

Flag Post

Get the FlameThower

Flag Post
Originally posted by Wadou:

Get the FlameThower

To be specific, You can go to College Campus – The Supply Depot (36, 20) for buying ingredients. The ingredients for flamethrower are duct tape, Lighter, and spray can/Hydra-net hair Spray (total $62 or $137). To warn you, you can buy Hydra-net with saving $75 instead of over-priced spray can (It’s Trap!). just in case, you confuse yourself to look for Hydra-net hair spray, Hydra-net is in weapon section, Duct tape and Lighter are in other items section.

You don’t need any tech to craft it, no brainer. just need 1 minute to craft it.

Because its name is flamethrower, it is close combat weapon and does not need any ammo. don’t get freak out like “do i have to get ammo/oil for flamethrower?”

Improvised Flamethrower is most effective weapon in the beginning. It is not only about slightly better damage than your first wooden baseball bat (Nick: “This brings back some good memories.” Coach: “You play ball, Nick?” Nick: “Nope. Bouncer at a club.”), it is about 10ft range and burn probability. 10ft range seemed weak by glance, but when an zed is one or two step close in front of your face, You can attack before the zed get too personal. Then here goes best part – burn possibility. You cannot ignore efficiency of 50%, it occurs quite well, and cause moderate DOT damage to zombies too. In another word, before you become Kenshiro from Fist Of North Star one man-army in this zombie Apocalypse, burning zombie with IF once before personal engagement is much more saving ur ass in the beginning than swinging wooden bat in personal with zeds. I presume not other close-combat weapon has 10ft range feature in the game (maybe except premium shop), however comparing damages with later weapons (driller, sledge hammer, defiler and e.t.c), IF’s damage makes not idealistic weapon in long run, but definitely save you when you face zombies with every stat 20 with low quality gear (i know, ur pajama, and baseball bat, cuz mine too).

Flag Post

No not the Improvised Flamethrower The Flamethrower Buy it at Garys Guns(?)

Flag Post
Originally posted by pjhoodsta:

Character Build Guide (tip)

My tip is based on when I played old version ZP and current Mutant Badlands (especially Gopthrosnir, audal, Ugicywapih’s advice).

• do not be jack of trade at beginning (when you level up, do not put ur stat separately).
  • if you r considering endgame, constitution is your best bet!!!

because con cannot be trained but others can,

while u invest every stat points on constitution to 200, u can train other critical stat such as agility or close combat.

After your con reached 200, u might wonder which stat you should put…

• Agility – As you know, it determine how u can run away effectively from battles, even when enemies engaged in front of you (close enemies reduces escape possibility). The another key point of agility is how u can dodge from ranged attacks effectively. I am not sure close-combat though. When I play MB, I do feel a little more dodging in close combat with 150 agility than 30 agility. if you want run away as you want, 100. If you encounter a lot of ranged enemies – at least 150.
  • Close CombatMust have for close combat fans (most players would be, unless you have unlimited ammo to use guns every time). It is not only about how u can hit enemies accurately. It also determine how you can dodge enemies’s close attack. In MB (MB and ZP use same game engine and system) Gopthrosnir tested it with 200 close combat with melee enemies (animal species muties). He told me that his character dodge 20% effectively, 50% when he activated focus defense. Very critical stat if you are much like a blade master.
  • Marksmanship – Key stat for if u want save ammo for killing muties with ranged weapon.. i mean zombies. It also affect how u can hit effectively with bows and explosives. I heard there is required Marksmanship for each weapons to use effectively (shotgun has less requirement). I have no solid fact to prove it, therefore i wish someone can test on it. Actually nothing wrong to use a sniper rifle with marksmanship 30, but do not expect same quality as when u use it with marksmanship around 100.
  • Strength – You can consider about it if u want to be pure melee, because as u can see, it is multiplier for close combat damage. It also increase your carry weight too, nevertheless I won’t raise it for carry weight. You can manage your carry weight effectively by buying better a bag, recycle junks into construction points (Clan safe house), putting them in barricade, and constructing the escape project (but don’t bother to complete it, cuz it is connected with retiring ur character).
  • Technical – I won’t bother to maximize to 200, yet if you want to craft some good stuffs (very good close combat weapon and armors), you may considering about investing into tech some points. Just in case, if you can acquire 1-2 weapons which increase tech (e.g. nail guns in MB, which increase 12 for each), equip them when u want to craft, you don’t have to increase to 120. After you begin to craft, put them back into ur inventory (or storage) and equip previous weapons (then start killing spree on low level enemies). It is also stated which decrease the construction time in clan safe house upgrade, yet according to few players in MB, it is not functioning. I hope someone can verify about it in ZP.
  • Smart – I never bother with it. You might consider it if you want venture around high level zombies area with only looting, not killing. (if you are engaged into battle when you move to another area, you cannot loot items unless u kill nearby zombies). because it affect how you can avoid ambush when u approach another area which filled with zombies/muties. Funny part is… i have not meet anyone who tested on it. I may consider to test it on MB if My char maximized other stat first (but when) It also affect some quest’s smart check. Personally it is not major issue with me. even with 30 smart in old ZP and MB, I can complete most quest and it does not have big affection when u successfully passed the check or not.

Character Build Type

• Melee (cost effective) 200 con → 100 close combat → 100 agility → 150 close combat → 100 Strength.

You might not need 100 agility right after close combat, but it helps you to avoid unnecessary (difficult) battles at ease.

• Gunslinger (Legolas or good Luck with ammo) 200 Con → 150 Agility → 150 Marksmanship .
  • Berserker (screw cons! i want to start killing spree right away) 150 close combat → 150 con or strength or agility

if you don’t have good weapon or armor, you can raise your tech around 96 in anytime.

• I hope you found this useful and pardon my grammar and English. It’s been long time I wrote in English. You are welcome to criticize my guide too, I do admit that this guide is not perfect.

©My guide is not solely from my experience. I thank to Gopthrosnir, audal, Ugicywapih and some MB users in the chat for many advice and lastly my characters Yuko, Charley, Aiesha, Goza in Mutant Badland, Yuko in Zombie Pandemic

about Character Build Type (edited)

Before it goes, this is just preference, not textbook, therefore you can change them into your style.

• End Game Melee – Cost Effective (your only concern is about healing cost), moderately difficult in beginning (cuz u need to train other stat constantly such as close combat while u r putting stat point into con first), recommended for patient player, perfectionist, intermediate player.

200 Con (or 100-150 if your face your own limit) → 100 Close Combat → 100 Strength → 200 Close Combat → 200 Strength → Your Choice :).

You can Raise Tech to anytime as you want if you need better gear.

• Easy minded – Cost Effective (your only concern is about healing cost), easy in the beginning with battles, does not have to pay much attention to training. recommended for beginner, easy-going, loose, busy (with work, personal matter) player.

50 Close combat → 50 Con → 50 Strength → 100-150 Close combat → 100-150 Con → 100-150 Strength → Raise previous previous stats to 200 or raise others.

You can Raise Tech to anytime as you want if you need better gear. when you reach 100-150 Close Combat, you can raise Marksmanship if u want to use guns.

• End Game Ranged – Having fun to kill zombies from distance, ammo maintenance, sometimes has to rely on close combat (for many reason), moderately difficult in beginning (cuz u need to train other stat constantly such as close combat/marksmanship while u r putting stat point into con first), you may consider about raising Melee quite early, cuz with low Marksmanship, it chew a lot of ammo by missing a hit/low damage, thus you should stick to close combat until u can use better firearm with high Marksmanship. recommended for firearm fans, patient player, perfectionist, hardcore player only.

200 Con → 100 Marksmanship or Close combat → 100 Strength (if you need more encumbrance for ammo, yes ammo has own weight just like Fallout New Vegas Hardcore mode) → Raise previous stats to 150 or 200 in your preference.

Codex

• Why you are not so certain in some area? why you left ambiguous and leaving "your preference? – because ZP and MB’s odds are not same for everyone. Some players had some better luck in finding better gear, a lot of ammo in early, some players might still wear the pajama suit and baseball bat until 20-30. by these situations, you have to decide which stat is effective for you. Yet, in low level, you will face a lot of zombie with close combat weapon, i do recommend close combat than other stat though. You can raise con to 200 too. To be honest, some of section are not clear with my experience, others are welcome to correct me too.
  • training? -Interesting part about training is that you can raise all stat (except con) from 20 to 30 by training if you have around half day free time without using any stat point. you can try that way if your are extremely hardcore (never recommended). next difficult part is after 30, it takse a lot of hrs to raise one point, and… after 40+, it takes a day or worst, more than a day to raise one. According to Gopthrosnir in MB, it takes more than 3 months for maximizing every stat by training. To add, conserving stat point in early is putting yourself too difficult position, and max level is 500 (after 100, each lv up’s stat is decreasing though), you do have enough stat point to maximize all stat (need to verify). Therefore, it is never recommended to rely on training for conserve stat in later. However you can use training for less attention-ed stats.
  • Why u r so cold to Smart? Firstly, I have not reached endgame yet, so I am not still familiar with all quest structure with Smart Check. If ZP is Fallout 1,2, New Vegas, I will be serious with Smart, nevertheless ZP is more like Fallout 3, which is much more focused on killing zombies. Smart Check do have some effect on your reward outcome too, frankly maybe few more guns, experience. however you can earn a lot as those Smart check quickly by killing Zombies and scavenging. If you are obsessed with quest checks, you may consider grinding with zombies for putting every stat into 100 ish before begin any quest though.

Flag Post

No not the Improvised Flamethrower The Flamethrower Buy it at Garys Guns(?)

oops :( i didn’t know u r saying flamethrower. My mistake. Damn Monster drink and coffee. still improvised flamethrower is not bad for beginners, right? btw i will go Gary’s guns for Flamethrower, thx for tip

Flag Post
Originally posted by mariop99:

Any tips about armor? I have a weapon and everything, but I’m still like in my pajamas.

Better rely on scavenging or craft. but find a shop who sell good armor in your character’s money

Flag Post

Do you know if the Panzerfaust is a grenade or a luncher?

Flag Post

Do you know if the Panzerfaust is a grenade or a luncher?

no clue, beat me :(

Flag Post

When you have more than $1675 (I assume u can get enough by doing some quests around the college), Move to Kian Bags & Luggage (X19 , Y96) for buy Hiking Backpack which is best bag you can buy with the game currency.

Yet you have to prepare around 400 sp to reach there (not a big problem for premium members though). When you are on the way, avoid entering any building (avoiding any zombies, which cause wasting precious sp), running away from all encounters. Unless you have good gear to kill them, it is okay for leveling up, but still waste sp unless u r very close to level up. To remind you, worst case of encounters is group of zombies which has total lv 40. Yet not to worry, even though the agility is 20, u can still run away from them. Some people might wonder what is the point of spending 400 sp (actually 800 sp if you calculate about returning to around bottom area), and running away from zombies like chicken for a freaking backpack… to be honest, you can find a bag from scavenging too, but it won’t happen for everyone. There are some bags in college area, but they are not idealistic bag for long run. It is also that u have to buy better bag (yes, that bloody Hiking Bag) again soon (waste of money). Getting Hiking Backpack means which reduce the time and sp for returning shops/clan safe house. And obviously it also connect to your income too.

P.S. If you have spare cash in your purse and love this game, You can buy Globetrotter Supreme (best bag in premium shop) by 300 Credits. However between Globetrotter Supreme and Hiking Backpack, differences is 20 ENC (hard to say whether 20 ENC is big deal or not). It is entirely up to you about buying this bag, still I do mange to carry on by Hiking Backpack though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pjhoodsta:

When you have more than $1675 (I assume u can get enough by doing some quests around the college), Move to Kian Bags & Luggage (X19 , Y96) for buy Hiking Backpack which is best bag you can buy with the game currency.

Yet you have to prepare around 400 sp to reach there (not a big problem for premium members though). When you are on the way, avoid entering any building (avoiding any zombies, which cause wasting precious sp), running away from all encounters. Unless you have good gear to kill them, it is okay for leveling up, but still waste sp unless u r very close to level up. To remind you, worst case of encounters is group of zombies which has total lv 40. Yet not to worry, even though the agility is 20, u can still run away from them. Some people might wonder what is the point of spending 400 sp (actually 800 sp if you calculate about returning to around bottom area), and running away from zombies like chicken for a freaking backpack… to be honest, you can find a bag from scavenging too, but it won’t happen for everyone. There are some bags in college area, but they are not idealistic bag for long run. It is also that u have to buy better bag (yes, that bloody Hiking Bag) again soon (waste of money). Getting Hiking Backpack means which reduce the time and sp for returning shops/clan safe house. And obviously it also connect to your income too.

P.S. If you have spare cash in your purse and love this game, You can buy Globetrotter Supreme (best bag in premium shop) by 300 Credits. However between Globetrotter Supreme and Hiking Backpack, differences is 20 ENC (hard to say whether 20 ENC is big deal or not). It is entirely up to you about buying this bag, still I do mange to carry on by Hiking Backpack though.

That bag isn’t really necessary that early on. I still don’t have it yet and I never fill my inventory to the max.

Also, I heard a bow or crossbow is a great weapon since you can recover arrows. Not sure how cost effective it is though. You can a bow at (33, 33) after the 2nd mission or you can buy one at (22, 23) in the antique store.

Flag Post

Skullhead, even though the arrows cost about 2.5 times what bullets do, you’re usually re-using the arrows 3-4 times (in my experience so far). Go with the compound though. For early in the game, I don’t think there’s any weapons that even come close.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gruesomebrat:

Skullhead, even though the arrows cost about 2.5 times what bullets do, you’re usually re-using the arrows 3-4 times (in my experience so far). Go with the compound though. For early in the game, I don’t think there’s any weapons that even come close.

For those who do not know where to get one head to 33/33 to buy one, if you don’t have the money you can do the 2 quest to get a regular bow, which is weaker, but it’s still a free bow (and you can sell it back to the store owner)

Flag Post

What would be a suggested melee weapon?