[Starpires] Feedback appreciated

81 posts

Flag Post

Would love to hear players feedback on the game during the beta process. Anything that needs to be fixed or changes that you would suggest.

-Matt

Flag Post

As I’m playing the game, I’ve found that I can “discover” new empires by flipping through other empires’ attack history, and possibly through spec ops missions. I have also heard tales of people catching spec ops missions from other empires, but don’t have those empires on their Discovered list. Naturally, this is rather inconvenient, especially when said empires are either a serious threat to consider or a good way to pull territory from.

So what I’m asking is, how does the empire detection system work, and what can be altered that will prevent odd half-discoveries from happening?

Flag Post

There is an annoyance with people being able to most likely attack as well but from what i’ve experienced perform spec ops missions against you but their not on your attack list so you cannot retaliate in any way.

Flag Post

There’s an occasional bug with the battle; after I lose a battle, the button for “close” won’t click, and thereafter other buttons won’t click, either, like the “pay” buttons on the menu after you end your turn. Also, after a battle it would be nice if it told me which kind of planet I won from my enemy. This game is actually pretty great, I’m sure it’ll gain popularity very quickly.

Flag Post

I have a problem with buttons not working occasionally as well. It happens when I’m using IE, no problems with firefox.

You can hover your cursor over the number of planets after the battle and it will show you which planets you won from your enemy.

Flag Post

Thanks, for reporting those issues. I’m looking into them and seeing if I can reproduce and find a fix for them.

Flag Post

Another thing I noticed: I have not yet researched the Command Ship, therefore, I cannot buy them. However, when I click on “edit” with my supply planet, I can manufacture them. This isn’t an error under the edit menu, though; I checked my turn summary, and indeed my supply planets have produced command ships, but I haven’t researched them yet. I think this occurred after the Galactic Council gave me one command ship reward, but now I have three, with no command ship rewards since.

Flag Post

@ Titanshadow12 The command ship glitch is a very old and known issue. Once you are awarded a Command Ship you can manufacture them regardless of research. If you lose all of them then you will lose the ability to create them. This is also a self solving issue, in time you will research them to upgrade their offense and defense.

Flag Post

Okay, it just seems so easy to exploit; just manufacture a bunch and send all but one on missions…

Flag Post

True. But send them against a player with a few levels of Command Ship defense upgrades and the un researched ones are toast. Hmm toast.

Flag Post

I’ve got to the top end of lv.9 and can no longer attack pirates.

Well I can attack them, I just never win regardless of what I send out. I don’t mind stuff being hard/expensive, but it’s still got to be possible.

Flag Post

I agree with sadcookiecat, even though i’m not at this point yet generating random level pirates could be nice, even very weak ones …

Flag Post

They do generate randomly. The base power is 50% to 150% of the power of the player. The best thing about pirate is they do not grow stronger. They have a maximum power cap. Though it may be hard for a day or so, in no time you will bowl them over like they were nothing.

Flag Post

I would be happy to help you create combat stacks to attack them more efficiently.

Flag Post

So just an idle question….

Do you not think that upto 50% more powerful than a player is just a little bit too much at such a low level?
Look at it this way, there’s only three ways to improve the abilities of your troops; Build more, research, and boosts.

Building more than the pirates might be possible for the guys with economies so vast they could buy millions of troops and hardly notice the cash they spent. Not so much for everyone else.

Research is again limited to only being viable for those with the aforementioned huge economies, and those who are willing to wait a very very long time doing nothing but clicking “next turn” repeatedly. (Virtually no-one)

Boosts are pretty easily available and don’t depend on anything, but they are at best mediocre. 10% on top of whatever might be huge for the “big” guys, but at this level it’s insignificant.

Context: For three days now I’ve been trying to attack pirates. Any pirates. And for three days (aside from a lucky spawn of a mostly dead empire) I’ve had defeat after defeat after defeat. Even with building several dozen million on additional forces, and a handful of boosts all I have to show for my effort is, well actually I don’t have anything to show for my effort at the moment hence my frustration.
Now it’s all well and good offering to do things etc etc (and it is appreciated), but if it’s not going to solve the underlying problem then to be honest it’s a bit of a waste of time.

Perhaps a lower limit for the pirates would be useful, or scaling the upper limit so that really powerful players can still face off against monsters but everyone else doesn’t get effectively locked out of the game?

Flag Post

1 hour is WAY to long for a single point, atleast in my point of view. Half that, since after 10 hours (Almost half a day) you get half of the points. This is a fun game, good concept, but it isnt much enjoyable if you have to wait an hour to do something that takes less then 5 minutes.

Flag Post

We’ll be adding some additional game servers that have faster paces of play in the near future.

Flag Post

So here’s a thought: since these servers take an hour for just one turn, why not make the three extra turn thing buy-able with research credits at around the 500,000 mark with either a permanent increase each time it’s “bought” or do like you do with your reward points and have it reset back to 500,000 after a day or so. I’d personally like to squeeze in a few more turns a day without pulling out a wallet, especially with my fairly sized (in all it’s 5.3M net worth glory) empire I have now :)

Flag Post

@sadcookiecat. They may just be using troops with a high defense, like command ships and the like. Have you spied on them?

You might be right, the pirates can be looked at to limit upper power limits.

OSS.

Flag Post

There is a problem with multi accounters, for example cheesy and manigitogan are the same player and while i expect someone to take revenge after being attacked. I don’t expect to get hit with multiple spec ops, 20 lots of nukes and chems from a guy and his alts after 1 single attack. Kinda ruins the game a little, no fun playing with alts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MorganC32:

@sadcookiecat. They may just be using troops with a high defense, like command ships and the like. Have you spied on them?

You might be right, the pirates can be looked at to limit upper power limits.

OSS.

Yeah. Spying is kinda hit and miss, even with upgrades I’m getting caught more often than not. Did get a look at what they had eventually though – 300K each of troops and defence stations. Nothing else.
No wonder it’s so hard! :p (and this is the easiest target I’ve got by a long way. haha.)

p.s. Finally got them. It cost a LOT. Shame you can’t use chemicals/nukes against pirates, might even things out a little. And if they happen to ruin a few planets doing so that’d just be bad luck right?

Flag Post

I feel you there. I have attacked a pirate for the last 30 turns.. no wins.. they are only losing 1000 or so units now to the 10k or so earlier. yet I cannot win.

Flag Post

Using a heavy troop attack backed up with the researched adrenaline booster tech reliably savages pirates for me. I appreciate its easier for me to field the troops and research the boost than most but the core strategy is sound. I would warn you however that the planet setup needed to support this strategy makes you an attractive target to the sharks out there, and no matter how big you get theres always a bigger fish waves from protection >_>

I would actually appreciate a faster discovery rate for pirates, or even a research to “locate” a pirate faction to engage, NPC combat could do with being more attractive and easily accessable since as discussed above theres some major multi’ing issues going around that render pvp as much as a game of luck as anything, will your target take the hit and carry on, or will his 17 alts get their nuke on at you, I personally view nukes as a needless addition to the game, they’re a griefers dream and little else. Chems are fine, you can hit a target with a couple waves of them in conjunction with spec ops missions prior to a conventional attack to soften the target somewhat and boost your chances, but nukes offer no strategic value, they are purely a tool for griefers and bullies.

Buuuuuuut since them being removed from the game is highly unlikely, some additional restrictions on the usage of them would curb most of the issues relating to their usage. Having a limit to how many times a player can be nuked per day would likely be the best bet, 1-3 nukehits a day doesnt leave much of a mark even if the strikes are pretty substantial, but I’ve seen guys in the chat commenting on being hit 10 times in an hour as “payback”, and depending on the size of the strikes thats something that will really set someone back, particularly in the early to midgame before they find their feet. Very much a turnoff for any player who’s trying to get into the game I assure you.

Flag Post

it seems stuipid to allow people to look at attack history and see guerrilla attacks. for example while randomly flipping through a players attack history it said guerrilla forces from an unknown attacker raided name of empire. and since the empire they raided was not the one whos attack history i was looking at, well it made it pretty obvious. perhaps you should keep guerrilla attacks off of attack histories

Flag Post

Im not questioning the system, but… I have less than 300k net worth (The day im posting)
If you drag the picture or click on it, you will see my Net Worth. (Something happened to kongregate/imgur)