[Kongai] Origins of the new Kongai characters

74 posts

Flag Post

After seeing Nezzadar’s original 2008 thread here I figured it was time to do an update for the new Kongai characters. Once again, we’re looking for Sirlin’s inspirations behind each of the characters (of course we could just ask him but that’d be no fun!)

So far he’s shown a penchant for multiple popular culture references, as well as characters from Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Guilty Gear. I’m going to reserve the post below if people request picture stickies from the old characters (since Nezzadar has resigned from Kongregate). Here’s a gallery of the new characters: Happy hunting!

Ranec Vest as Cervantes from Soul Calibur
This is the easiest one to spot and has been confirmed. Ranec Vest is an anagram of Cervantes, and in fact, many players are calling him by Cervantes. Both wield dual swords, have straggly beards and a flowing cape. In addition, Avrous has contributed that his move LeChuck’s Curse is an allusion to "LeChuck"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeChuck the Undead Pirate from the Monkey Island adventure games.

MR-V1N as Marvin the Paranoid Android from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
This is pretty easy to spot too, the name is a dead giveaway and his depression is replicated. One of his moves is named Forlorn Poetry, a nod to the bad Vogon poetry.

B9 as Robot B-9 from Lost in Space
Excellent spot by Inst. The names are the same, and both are even nicknamed “The Environmental Control Robot”. The move Protect Family is another reference to the original series.

IBO-K9 as Sony Aibo, the robotic dog
First spotted by DzjennickXL. The name pronunciations are the same. The other theory is that it’s a reference to the robotic dog from Doctor Who, K-9 but the initials K-9 has been used to name dogs in many places due to it sounding like the word “canine”.

Starbuck as Starbuck, Captain Ahab’s First Mate from Moby Dick:
Both have the same name and job title. Coincidentally, Starbucks (as in the coffee company) is named after the same character. Since I couldn’t find a picture of Captain Ahab’s First Mate, I’m putting in a giant Starbucks cup as a placeholder. ^^

Floating theories:

Gorbax-Mark2 as ED-209 from Robocop Contributions by DzjennickXL and TimTebow.
Sophie Merovingian as Sophie Neveu from The Da Vinci Code: Merovingian is a symbologist whilst Neveu is a cryptologist. The Da Vinci code does reference the Merovingian dynasty of France.
Margo Curie as Marie Curie: Margo is a a potion brewer which is similar to Marie’s chemist. In fact, all of the Witches are French, so if we dig into French history we can probably find all the references, like Eva Bovary as Madame (Emma) Bovary. Sirlin has shown previous inclinations towards French cultural history with Marquis Le Morte as Marquis de Sade.
Gunbjorn as Ram-Man from Masters of the Universe: They both wear similar armour and carry an axe?
Bestor as Best Western, the hotel chain: I laughed when someone mentioned this but it seems absurd enough to be true. Does Best Western set on fire a lot? :P

If you have any more to add or even theories to their origins then please post below, more the merrier!

Flag Post

Old Kongai character origins:

Anex as Xena, the Warrior Princess
Anex is Xena spelled backwards, both are warrior princesses, and both wield chakram (the circular blade) as their weapon of choice. Their hairstyles are also somewhat similar. Confirmed by Greg.

Vanessa Voss as Blade, the Marvel comic and movie character
Both Voss and Blade are named “Daywalker”. Both are vampires, with an uncharacteristic immunity to light, and hunts down other vampires. Both use light as a primary weapon, along with a katana. Both are black and wear sunglasses. Voss’ cape is in a reverse colour scheme to Blade’s. Confirmed by Greg.

Yoshiro as Ryu from Street Fighter
They look very similar and even have similar colour schemes. Both use similar moves: Chi Blast is Hadouken and Rising Dragon is Sho-Ryu-Ken. Confirmed by Greg and Sirlin.

Cornelius Constantine as Slayer from Guilty Gear
They look very similar, are both very classy vampires and both use a move called Pilebunker.

Phoebe as Ivy from Soul Calibur
Both have short light hair and both wield whips to disable their opponents (well, Ivy’s is more like an extendible sword).

Ubuntu as Richard Stallman, the creator of Linux
If this is true then that’s a fantastic reference. Ubuntu is an OS based around Linux, which was created by Richard Stallman.

Floating theories:

Marquis Le Morte as Marquis de Sade/Dracula from the Francis Ford Coppola film
The same title is obvious, though no further similarities can be drawn. FateIsEscaped mentioned that MLM looks kind of like Dracula from Francis Ford Coppola’s film, especially in their hairdos.
Onimaru as Bishamon from Darkstalkers
Both heavily armoured demon samurai with similar headgear. Darkstalkers is another Capcom fighting game which Udon (the illustrator of Kongai) illustrates.
Rumiko as Taki from Soul Calibur
Both are female ninjas with similar hairstyles.

Flag Post

The environmental control bot seems to be a reference to Lost In Space, of “Danger Will Robinson!” fame. Protect Family seems to be the giveaway.

Flag Post

Wow, this is really interesting :P

Flag Post

So is rumiko base on Taki form Soul Calibur.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arthurmauk:
Onimaru as Yoshimitsu
Both heavily armoured demon samurai, and Sirlin does take a lot of his inspiration from the Street Fighter series.

Yoshimitsu is in Tekken though, isn’t he?

Flag Post

Ah yes you’re right, I’ll go correct that.

Originally posted by Inst:

The environmental control bot seems to be a reference to Lost In Space, of “Danger Will Robinson!” fame. Protect Family seems to be the giveaway.

Very nice! That must be what Greg was thinking about when he debunked Thursday as its inspiration! Doesn’t really need confirmation given that they have the same name, and even the same nickname. Thanks!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lucika:
Originally posted by arthurmauk:
Onimaru as Yoshimitsu
Both heavily armoured demon samurai, and Sirlin does take a lot of his inspiration from the Street Fighter series.

Yoshimitsu is in Tekken though, isn’t he?

Actually Onimaru is much closer to Bishamon from Darkstalkers- another Capcom fighting game. The green “eyes” in the chest plate are a dead giveaway.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

B9 also looks a lot like Robby the Robot from the movie Forbidden Planet.

Starbuck is not named after Starbucks Coffee. They’re both named after Starbuck, the first mate in Moby Dick.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dmgnome:

B9 also looks a lot like Robby the Robot from the movie Forbidden Planet.

Starbuck is not named after Starbucks Coffee. They’re both named after Starbuck, the first mate in Moby Dick.

Thanks! I can’t believe I forgot about that, I knew that Starbucks the Coffee Company is named after Captain Ahab’s First Mate but I couldn’t put the two and two together. Up now. :)

Flag Post

Ranec Vest is simply an anagram of Cervantes, pretty cool actually :D

Flag Post

there was actually an amazon named helene… i wonder if there is any connection

Flag Post
Originally posted by blackolives:

there was actually an amazon named helene… i wonder if there is any connection

Really? Link please? Is this part of the ancient Greek myths?

Flag Post

Since this thread is supposed to be about the NEW characters, I’m going for that… The ED209-robot from the first Robocop movie looks kinda similar to Gorbax-Mark2

Also, The IBO-K9 seems blatantly ripped from Sony Aibo, they even have the same name-pronunciation…

As for the witches, the name Eva Bovary MIGHT be taken from the character Emma Bovary from the book Madame Bovary, though I don’t see any other connection between the two… Maybe somebody else does…

Finally, Agathe de Grey seems to be a very old witch, who looks like she has lived for like 300 years… There is also an English professor named ‘Aubrey De Grey’, who mainly focuses on stopping ageing…

I realize the last two are a big stretch, but just throwing it in there :)

PS: Helene was indeed an amazon that fought Achilles and was subsequently killed by him, I don’t know much more about her than that though…

Flag Post

Helene was one of the two great lords that were summoned to fight Achilles in the Greek campaign with the Trojan horse. She was the amazon leader and boasted about how she would bring his head back on stick the next day. The next day, her head came back on a stick and the Spartans quote: “saw that she was young and pretty and cried over the waste”. All her handmaidens except Andromeda died.

Flag Post

Hurray for Google!

Flag Post
Originally posted by DzjennickXL:

Also, The IBO-K9 seems blatantly ripped from Sony Aibo, they even have the same name-pronunciation…

Also refers to K-9, the robot dog from Doctor Who.

Flag Post

nice find!

Flag Post

What? I disagree with Starbucks. I say he’s Johnny Depp on steroids. Don’t the braids and the braid’s accessories reminds you of Cap’n Jack Sparrow? A much bigger Sparrow.

Flag Post

I think Sophie, the Symbologist is a nod to Sophia Esteed from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, who is generally a magic-caster (magic is also called Symbology in that game) and also dresses somewhat similarly.

Flag Post

Knight Bestor of the Western Flame Looks A LOT like Jaster from Rogue Galaxy. I found that comment somewhere.

Flag Post

Gunbjorn – Greenland’s highest mountain (its spelled with two n’s though). Coincidence that this knight specializes in cold attacks?

Wei-Shan – Jiang Wei and Liu Shan were two leaders during China’s three dynasty period (3rd century). Jiang Wei is also a recurring character in Dynasty Warriors. China is certainly east…

As far as Eva Bovary as Emma Bovary… Emma is a very unlikable character that always adopts the extremes of what she is exposed to. Why is she a neophyte? I would need to know her moves to make the connection. Madame Bovary is one of the greatest novels ever written, so it would be pretty cool if the connection could be made.

Also Balthazar is in multiple Shakespeare plays (like four or five, I always notice the name when I see it because I like it), but I don’t really know what that has to do with anything.

Flag Post

Hey where do you get all the new card pictures?

Flag Post

curie the witch is actually mary curie the scientist